Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Where have my favorites gone with K-Meleon?
Posted by: Foober
Date: October 08, 2006 02:06AM

HELLO,

WTF

I installed the new KMeleon 1.02 and now all of my bookmarks are gone and I do not know how to get them back. I installed over the previous folder without uninstalling KMeleon 1.0 first. I had only 200 bookmarks which are impossible for me to recreate so wtf how do I get my bookmarks back? WHY IS THE WORLD, would a new version of a browser delete your favorites? That is just sloppy and lazy programming. I better be able to get my favorites back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 05:24AM by JujuLand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WHERE HAVE MY FAVORITES GONE?
Date: October 08, 2006 02:50AM

My previous message had many typos in it sorry, my anger that a programmer would be so sloppy as to have a new version of his web browser delete its user's favorites made me type bad. I am hoping I am making false statement and that it is possible to get my favorites back because it really would be absurd for a new version of a browser to delete your favorites, but I haven't figured how how to get them back yet and when I search on my computer for them I can't find them so please help or please apologize if you were so sloppy as a programmer to have the new version delete your favorites.

Date: October 08, 2006 03:43AM

Also, how does one get rid of the "Do you want to remember the values you filled in?" prompt?

Posted by: rmn
Date: October 08, 2006 04:50AM

Hi,

Just to confirm, are you using (IE) favorites or (Netscape) bookmarks?

If you are using favorites, can IE still see them?

If you are using bookmarks, try opening your bookmarks.html. Normally you can reach it from Edit → Configuration → Profile Directory.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a developer.)

Date: October 08, 2006 06:47AM

Thanks for reply.

I am using half IE favorites and half new KMeleon favorites. I retained my IE favorites on installing the new version and lost all of my new KMeleon bookmarks.

I checked bookmarks.html and it does not have my old bookmarks in there. So it looks like I just lost about 200 bookmarks to interesting websites by choosing to upgrade K-Meleon.

Posted by: Omer
Date: October 08, 2006 08:24AM

ı have the same problem

all my bookmarks have gone all were k-meleon bookmarks.

we want a solitioın for this

thanks

Date: October 14, 2006 08:35PM

Oh well it looks like the developers don't care about it.

Be aware, upgraders of K-Meleon from 1.0 to 1.02, that all of your bookmarks will be erased unless you back them up somehow first.

Posted by: tweety
Date: October 15, 2006 04:13AM

I suppose you can't get your bookmarks back. If they were located in the profile folder they have been overwritten I think. A good practice is to store them on a different location and make updates from time to time. What happened to you did happen to me too and even worse, some years ago, with Phoenix aka FireFox which lost my 4 year old bookmarkfile without a reason, it crashed and they were gone, pang! After that I installed the bookmarks backup plugin for phoenix.
When I switched back to k-m I wrote my own bookmarks backup plugin to be on the safe side. Now my fears are gone yawning smiley)
I'm really sorry for what happend to you, since I know how it feels. But you are right, the developer((s)) here don't care much about the problems of regular users of this browser and also don't see the need to answer questions of people that might contribute to the development. The best thing is not to rely on them. (I'm sure the usual supects are going to deny this sentence instantly, but at least it is my opinion and what I noticed).

Date: October 15, 2006 05:44PM

Foober,

Sorry for not following up earlier.
I'm still not sure here, are you losing Favorites, or Bookmarks?

Posted by: +Info+
Date: October 16, 2006 04:10AM

rmn:

Foober wrote:
"I retained my IE favorites on installing the new version and lost all of my new KMeleon bookmarks."

Date: October 16, 2006 09:37AM

"+Info+",

Um, so, which one would that be? Favorites or Bookmarks?

Posted by: 888
Date: October 18, 2006 01:39AM

Favorites are stored in \Documents and Settings\you\Favorites
K-Meleon (nor any other browser for that matter) does NOT touch this folder at all.
If theyre gone on your pc, its not K-Meleon's fault obviously.

Bookmarks - thats different story.
Bookmarks can be stored in the program's directory, user's data / program directory, and so on. Every other browser uses its own bookmarks from its own directory, so its possible if you were using bookmarks of K-Meleon older version, it was overwritten with new version.
One of many reasons why I don't use bookmarks, ever. I was in same @!#$ when I was using Netscape years ago, and since then I vowed not to use stupid bookmarks ever again, and I didn't have this problem not once, even though I've changed many versions of IE, Firefoxes and K-Meleons, and I switched from Win98 to 2000 to XP to 2003 and back to 2000 few times - yup, all my favorites are still with me smiling smiley

Posted by: Dorian
Date: October 19, 2006 09:44AM

Since it disappeared during an update I would suspect more a config problem more than a overwritting. Kmeleon doesn't write an empty bookmark file without any warning, and doesn't overwrite the old bookmark if there was any kind of failure.

@tweety
FYI, the corresponding bug was marked as fixed just before, there was no complaint for a while and some adjustments was done since beta version of km1.0. It's just funny how, just after that, someone come here to complain.

When I switched back to k-m I wrote my own bookmarks backup plugin to be on the safe side.

And where can we found it?

The best thing is not to rely on them.

On who should we rely then? On you? Probably not .... Any kind of contribution would be probably welcome though, but you seem to like keeping stuff for yourself.

Posted by: tweety
Date: October 20, 2006 05:54AM

@Dorian
I never lost my bookmarks with k-meleon fortunately, but I am used to backup them since I lost them with phoenix.

"On who should we rely then?"
Since you are the dev the question is posed wrong. It should have been "On who should they rely then?" And my answer to that is: on themselfs, as you most likely do too, or who is it on which you rely?

"but you seem to like keeping stuff for yourself."

Indeed, like the developers seem to like keeping their knowledge for themselfs too. No share of knowledge == no share of my tough (by self-education and hours of fucking searching) written plugins. It's as simple as that. I wonder why there is a developer-forum at all? I did never get any competent answer there.

So if I say they just don't care, than because they just don't care.

And no, I'm not criticising your work, only "your" (or the responsible devs) ignorance.

Posted by: kko
Date: October 20, 2006 01:14PM

@tweety
You seem to forget that the km devs are not payed for what they do. Their time is very limited - not at last because they are few in number. When they'd 'waste' their time answering questions or asking for more information about bugs, they never implemented anything new. I agree that there is a problem of sharing knowledge between the devs and the users. But since I'm involved in km developement I know that this is not due to ignorance or due to bad intention, it's simply due to lack of time. When I started to spent time on km last year, there was no competent person I could have asked. Ulf had gone after km 0.9 was out and Dorian had not yet taken over. I'v teached almost everything myself. Nevertheless I shared my work. Now it's part of km 1.0 to our users' benefit. So, when you decide against sharing your work then this is your personal decision and you don't need to blame anybody else.

All members of the km community do what they can, devs as well as non-devs. Nevertheless there are always people coplaining. That's not too much fun and that's why I don't care too much.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: October 20, 2006 07:57PM

@tweety
I suppose it's one of the reason why kmeleon wasn't as successful as it could have been. But...

No share of knowledge == no share of my tough (by self-education and hours of fucking searching) written plugins

Because someone is doing something wrong, you have to do the same? How do you expect the situation to evolve like that. Don't be stupid.

Posted by: SHIRLEY BARBER
Date: October 20, 2006 08:30PM

I LOST ALL MY FAVORITE BOOK MARKS & IS THERE A WAY TO RETRIVE THEM THEY WERE UNDER INTERNET EXPLORER SO WHAT HAPPENED I NEED THEM BACK OR I WANT OUT
THANK YOU,

Posted by: 888
Date: October 23, 2006 03:35PM

I don't understand why people can't setup and use windows own built-in Backup program to set i.e. weekly backup of such files as their bookmarks? (if they don't do any other full backups at all)
You don't need any plugins for that.

Posted by: Adri
Date: October 25, 2006 05:53PM

I had (and still have my bookmarks stored in a different folder than where K-Meleon puts them (I had them in My Documents which is backupped every night).
I just installed the 1.02 version and now I'm trying to explain to K-Meleon where my bookmark file is (this was possible with version 0.9..
but to no avail, it was under the Tools section in version 0.9..
I do have my IE bookmarks, thank you..
But since I use both browsers, I would like to use both sets of bookmarks too.

So very to the point, I copied my K-Meleon bookmarks in the
C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\defaults\profile
where I found a bookmark.htm file

they are there now but K-Meleon doesn't SEE them..

how do I point K-Meleon to that file (or to any other bookmark file since I would prefere to use the bookmark file in the 'My Documents' folder

thx

Posted by: Adri
Date: October 25, 2006 05:59PM

OK, I found how to do it myself :

Edit -> preferences -> Plugins -> Netscape Bookmark Plugin -> Configure -> then click on the button with ... on it and locate your bookmark file..

You can do this also for IE and/or Opera bookmarks you have stashed somewhere

thx for bearing up with me smiling smiley

Adri

Date: October 25, 2006 06:05PM

Adri,

Open Edit > Preferences. Select Plugins > Netscape Bookmarks Plugin and press Configure...
Enter there the path to you bookmarks file (in My Documents). That should do the trick.

Date: October 25, 2006 06:07PM

OK, you were faster smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 26, 2006 04:41AM

@tweety,
I find Your way of thinking alien. From which country do You come?

Almost all here that try to help have educated themselves and shared the product with You. & If all here had thought like You - You would not have a browser and Your plugins would be useless. Maybe You should also re-consider & share.

Date: October 26, 2006 02:50PM

guenter wrote:
>
> @tweety,
> I find Your way of thinking alien. From which country do You
> come?

I'd be careful with that question; it sounds racist.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 26, 2006 05:04PM

@rmn - sorry about my missuse of English words. In my language: Country or even Doctine/Policy is not the same as Race - plus I am only trying to translate from my language - So my question does not sound racist to me. (maybe English uses race in that context?)

but a more intersting topic - have You tested whether we can use the new alterations of masterpass console? I have no idea what the additions do :-)
greetings to down under and thx for telling me that i can be missunderstood.

p. s. To be quite honest: i think tweeties talk of having made better plugins himself and for himself is idle bragging!

( untill he proves he has made them - & he can only prove that by sharing :-P

The home of unadulterated capitalism can be ones country or the prevalent doctine in that country - or is that a race?

& i wondered whether many ppl share tweeties thoughts where he comes from -
( that would have been my next question - if i did not know much about his place in the world ).

Kant suggests: a correct way for living: can be only a doctrine/policy or way to do things that works if ALL in an assumed society apply it as their way to do things.

AFAIK In a Freeware Community tweetieys policy would prevent anything from advancing(=if all acetd like him - so it can not be considered a legitimate policy).

Maybe his idea is good if we had payed for the k-meleon core and he could charge others for his plugin ( that would get a money based project ahead = legitimate ).

Posted by: phyllis
Date: December 18, 2006 12:44AM

Newer certainly isn't better. I used favorites all the time.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: December 21, 2006 03:15AM

Mercy, what a to-do. *shakes head sadly* I have never used the Netscape-style Bookmarks because I have always found the IE Favorites to be more easily organizable (any file manager) and they can be translated into other formats if other browsers need them. I back them up (ir)regularly. Backups RULE.

I did encounter a couple of small problems when I moved from 98 to XP recently. I copied my nicely configured K-M instead of installing, and everything was fine except 1-it didn't know where the Favorites were (I solved that by copying the directory to Windows) and 2-I couldn't save any new links until one of my Admin personae changed permissions there.

I use several different Windows accounts, but one K-M for all of "us." I imagine IE would be using the different win-users profiles, but I do not bookmark pages with it nor do I surf in any but this one limited account. I need my local-file links in all. Hoping to have the same problems in Linux soon...

Posted by: Patricia Cassola
Date: January 20, 2007 06:06PM

Where have my favorites gone? I updated as requested and they are gone. Help.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 20, 2007 06:28PM

We nedded more info, please. What systen use you? win98, win2000 or Xp, and version of K-Meleon to use; K-Meleon 0.9, 1.02, 1.1a, ...

Thanks.

Posted by: Furl
Date: January 25, 2007 07:40PM

Sorry if someone covered this here but I cannot find it. My K-Meleon 1.0.2
cannot find the favorites. My KM Pro does. The 102 does not. I open advanced
preferences and show it, then close the browser and reopen. But they still
do not appear. They are not missing from the other browsers. This is from
Win 2K sevice pack 4 or is it 5? It is completely updated whichever service
pack that is.