Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Adware launched with K-Meleon 74
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 22, 2014 09:09AM

Hi,

I don't know if it's due to last K-Meleon Setup or to a another install, but I have found an Adware named 'Level Quality Watcher'

I had also installed another Windows program named PsPad.

Curiously, this Adware just opens quickly a console, and close it when running K-Meleon (probably because it just needs a browser), but is in memory.

It's installed as a service.

Under Linux, no consequence, I think.
To remove it, I just remove the program folder and 2 keys in registry.
Very easy under Linux and wine, but I think that for Windows, it ought to need starting in recovery mode not to have services loaded to be able to remove it.

Have a look to confirm my thoughts, and to verify you are not infected.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adware launched with K-Meleon 74
Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 23, 2014 09:31AM

JujuLand
Hi,

I don't know if it's due to last K-Meleon Setup or to a another install, but I have found an Adware named 'Level Quality Watcher'

If you did download KM from this site then it is for sure not related to KM.
'Level Quality Watcher' is an adware that hit also people who have never heard about KM. It gets often bundeled with legit sowftware offered on different sites.
Therefore one should only download software from the direct source.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 23, 2014 11:28AM

No problem, I didn't really think it was K-Meleon which install it (I use and participate to K-Meleon since about 2009, and I only download on this website), but I was surprise that it was launched at the same time as K-Meleon.

In fact as I saw, a service was installed.
The better way to have an action, is when a browser is launched, enought to explain the link with K-Meleon.

So, the only Windows program I download was PsPad announcing a version dated of 2014, but it was probably a fake and a way to send this adware ...

No problem for me as, under Linux, services are launched only when a Windows program is executed, and remove from memory when the program close. So it was really easy to remove, what is not probably the case under Windows.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: fred from nl
Date: October 23, 2014 12:37PM

from http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php

"PSPad installer contains install manager that will make recommendations for additional free software that you may be interested in. Additional software may include toolbars, browser add-ons, game applications, anti-virus applications, and other types of applications. You are not required to install any additional software to receive your selected software. You can completely remove the program at any time in Windows' Add/Remove Programs. At the time of downloading you accept the conditions of use and privacy policies stated. The download will be executed through a download manager. The mentioned download manager doesn't have any relationship with the author. PSPad aims to offer downloads free of viruses and malwares.
In case you run installer in silent mode or with /nobundle switch, no bundled software is installed."

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.