Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
off topic - Microsoft Security Essentials
Posted by: frank
Date: October 03, 2009 07:56PM

I have used AVG, Avira and Avast anti-virus programs ( all free ) in the past. Is Microsoft Security Essentials anti- virus program worth using? Anyone seen an objective comparison of MSE to the other 3 av programs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: off topic - Microsoft Security Essentials
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 04, 2009 07:46AM

What is common with the reason of this forum ? Nothing, so the next time try to use a more useful forum. This one is for K-Meleon and related subject.

To answer to your question, I think it's like if you put your money in a bank and set the same bank having the full power to manage it. You're then not able to see what they do with your money.

For me, the only way to avoid spywares and virus is to use another OS, Linux for example smiling smiley

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 04, 2009 03:17PM

Alain,

FWIW, I did try Microsoft Security Essentials and my impression was mixed. It took forever to install (and uninstall), its quick scan was actually quick. It does mail home to Mommy Microsoft (a definite minus) and so at the end of the day, I uninstalled the puppy. Willing to reconsider if it become apparent that it is the second coming. <g>

N

Posted by: frank
Date: October 04, 2009 08:22PM

ndebord
Alain,

FWIW, I did try Microsoft Security Essentials and my impression was mixed. It took forever to install (and uninstall), its quick scan was actually quick. It does mail home to Mommy Microsoft (a definite minus) and so at the end of the day, I uninstalled the puppy. Willing to reconsider if it become apparent that it is the second coming. <g>

@ndebord,

Thanks for your opinion.

@Forum,

I didn't know 'off topics' were no longer welcome here. Delete the post if you want.

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 05, 2009 12:30PM

I too tried all of them except MSE. Of the three, I rate Avast! as the best, easiest, most unobtrusive and user friendly. Avast is also an anti-spyware application. For more on the subject try Cnet Spyware, viruses, & security and their other forums for non-Km related issues.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 06, 2009 12:27AM

frank
ndebord
Alain,

@ndebord,

Thanks for your opinion.

@Forum,

I didn't know 'off topics' were no longer welcome here. Delete the post if you want.

Shrug.... there has been talk, over the years, about adding a new forum for off-topic subjects, but nothing much ever came of it. IMO, General is as, ah, general as it gets. I only get upset over spammers and some flame artists, but that's about it for my tastes.

P.S. And so it came to pass... after a decade of discussion about new forums, now we have 4! And it could not have come at a better time than now!

N

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 12:49AM by ndebord.

Posted by: xps
Date: October 06, 2009 10:25PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32644736/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets//

Review of 8 free av programs including all those you mentioned frank! Enjoy.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 06, 2009 11:34PM

trust no anti-virus.. trust-no-exe

Posted by: sam
Date: October 11, 2009 07:46PM

There is a thread on this topic at mozillazine.org, MozillaZine Tech Forum, if you're interested. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1314105&sid=5b5b922418c57970351bd82f9d22ac83

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 11, 2009 08:36PM

frank
@Forum,

alain is one of our censors (moderator). And better than me @ this smiling smiley

He did not kill your post - he merely frowned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 08:45PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.