Graphics :  K-Meleon Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
InTheDarK Skin
Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 28, 2007 02:32PM

Any KM users out there have dark, black-based desktop themes? Well I jumped on the bandwagon earlier this year and judging from the screenshots at Deviant Art, so have many others. It's probably because of Vista. Anyway, when I started to use KM again recently there were no skins/themes to match, so I made/ported one :-) Blends well with the XP visual styles Haemo, Concave Dark & TypeZero among others.

Download & Install

The download file is based on Alain's extension/skin setup file which makes installation ALOT easier :-). Just install into KM's main directory e.g. C:\Program Files\K-Meleon[/i]
After the installation is complete KM should automatically be switched to InTheDarK.

Updated for K-Meleon 1.5

*Tab Buttons
*Fixed throbber issue
*Fixed bookmark/favorites/hotlist menu button issue
*Added alternative white text option. (To use, rename the three bmp files in the InTheDarK(Text) folder by removing "-ALT")

Use this thread for any questions/comments/help etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 03:39AM by jsnj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: InTheDarK Skin
Posted by: desga2
Date: October 28, 2007 10:51PM

Thanks for your theme contribution to K-Meleon!

I sent to Alain a new version of instalation script only for skins (v2.0), more easy and better than standar extension script.
I'm waiting for his opinion.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 28, 2007 11:28PM

Cool...feel free to send it to me. I'd like to test it out.

Date: October 29, 2007 12:19AM

You can download the script, instructions and an example theme form here:
K-Meleon 1.1 Skin Extension (2.0).zip

Thanks for your interest.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 31, 2007 07:24AM

Thanks. I've uploaded a new setup file which makes changes to the nlf files to improve wording etc... No changes to the actual skin have been made, just the setup file for future downloaders. I didn't use your setup script because my setup file includes a small macro to automatically switch to the skin after installation is complete. Also, one observation, it doesn't seem to make sense to include a preview or presentation file in the installation file & process. Previews/screenshots should be on the download page of the skin. Seems counter-intuitive to have to first download a skin installation file just to see what the skin/theme looks like, no?

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 31, 2007 12:18PM

To me the preview makes sense. Sometimes I store a download on hdd and if I install later the preview is usefull.

And not all download pages show previews. The setup is used for these also - but maybe the setup should be constructed so that the preview can be skipped if the setup is for pages with prview.

I did not understand where I can find the improved nlf.

Date: October 31, 2007 07:04PM

guenter
To me the preview makes sense. Sometimes I store a download on hdd and if I install later the preview is usefull.

I'm with guenter i stored a lot of skins in my HD and later install some but don't remember theme looks and the web from download it.

jsnj must be referer to new NSIS version 2.31, you can found .nlf language files in NSIS instalation dir \NSIS\Contrib\Language files

My NSIS script for instalation skin have this complete changelog:

Changelog Skin Extension Setup 2.0:
- Reduce from ~1000 to ~300 lines of code in nsi file. (deleted code unused for skins)
- Now a skin extension size is ~150 KB.
- Now isn't needed close KM for install a skin. (but remmember that restart KM is needed
for change skin take effect)
- Only english license is needed.
- Presentation must be universal, one image file for all languages.
(only menu language is different, skin not change)
+ New presentation method improved in setup with a preview page.
+ New icon for setup.
+ New Howto.txt file for dummies.
+ More comments in code to help config of the setup.
+ More options added to finish page; run, readme, link.
+ Language strings added and changes. (in .nlf files)
+ Others minor changes in code for adapted to a skin extension setup.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2007 07:08PM by desga2.

Date: October 31, 2007 11:58PM

guenter

And not all download pages show previews. The setup is used for these also - but maybe the setup should be constructed so that the preview can be skipped if the setup is for pages with prview.

I was just referring to the KM themes download page. Presumably all new skins should be available from here and they all have previews as do all other major browser's theme pages. But it's no major bone of contention. Bloats the file though. InTheDarK's setup file (which is based on Alain's all-purpose nsi script which is much larger than desga2's skin only nsi script) is smaller than Skipstone's setup file. Yet, InTheDarK's actual skin size is double the size of Skipstone's. Assuming they both use the same compression method, the cause is the size of the bmp preview. Anyway, again, not a big deal since the section can be commented out.

guenter
I did not understand where I can find the improved nlf

They come with Alain's K-Meleon Extension Setup 1.9.0 structure zip file. I just edited those. I'm new to setup files. I just followed Alain's guide. :-)

Posted by: Rocker
Date: December 06, 2007 06:14AM

how do you make the buttons have white text, mine is black and I can't see anything.

Date: December 08, 2007 02:55AM

The black text is part of the original design by ipeier shown in the preview images. Here's a modified version with white text. Just extract the contents to the folder within skins named InTheDarK(Text).

Attachments: InTheDarK(Text Alt.).zip (11.3 KB)  
Posted by: franco
Date: February 03, 2009 08:48PM

When i try this skin, the K is slowed down a lot (rollovers seems like freeze), and dont change the gray frame, only change the buttons.

Date: February 04, 2009 12:16AM

Also you must change your Windows Theme to black type theme for this.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 07, 2009 03:25AM

franco
When i try this skin, the K is slowed down a lot (rollovers seems like freeze), and dont change the gray frame, only change the buttons.

1. The slowing down/freeze behavior pretty much happens with all throbbers on some pages. To see how it should look, open the throbber.avi located in the InTheDarK skin folder and view it in any media player, like Windows Media player etc...

2. There is a bug with K-Meleon and black-based throbbers in XP when k-meleon.exe.manifest is present. If the black color is RGB 0,0,0, K-Meleon will convert that to white. I've remedied that by changing the RGB. So it should look the way it's supposed to now.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.