Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Karameleon (Skin/Theme)
Posted by: jsnj
Date: August 09, 2009 03:26AM

Skin/Theme for K-Meleon v1.5

*As per request, you'll have to contact me jsnj directly to use this theme.

Almost all bitmaps in Karameleon make use of alpha-transparency that was introduced in K-Meleon in version 1.5. As a result, it's not compatible with v1.1, but that's a minor trade-off compared to the benefit of having it seamlessly integrate with all backgrounds. The screenshot above is with the included background enabled. The screenshot below is with the background disabled within a Windows 7 visual style for XP. The caramel-colored gecko throbber morphs into and out of a caramel swirl in keeping with the theme.smiling smiley

*Available in two sizes: Large (pictured) and Small.

*Privacy Bar included with added Flash Block button.

*Privacy menu available via the Stop button's right-click.

*Clear Data menu available via the Privacy Bar's Clear buttons right-click.

*Preferences Menu | Compact Menu button included.

*Support for the addon/extensions: Restart Plus and Search+

Hope you like!

Post COMMENTS/QUESTIONS here.

File updated 8/14/09: Bug fix for the missing hover image for the Search Buttons toolbar/button.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 10:11PM by jsnj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Karameleon (Skin/Theme)
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 09, 2009 10:40AM

disrupted and I have completely finished a PhoenityAura port - If possible I would like to add this alpha transparency feature. He is in holiday on Cyprus.

1.) Which tools did you use for seamless alpha transparency?

2.) Can I choose magic pink for alpha transparent color?

p.s. K-Meleon supports the layout (rows above each other, see image below) of the Firefox png. If we find a good conversion tool - we could convert Firefox skins to K-Meleon more easily.

Without a good tool some rounded icons of Aura did not turn out well and it had to be done again in the traditional way with magic pink.

This image below is an automatic convert png to alpha channeled bmp (renamed gif so that forum accepts it).

Just rename and use as bmp.

Problem zones: the history/clock, the stars...

Used picture lines start at:

main.bmp[0]
main.bmp[14]
main.bmp[28]

BTW. 1.) What would You think about offering older skins updated as single archive.

2.) What would You think about including the new skins into the existing collection of skins and offer an archive of all known skins as single download.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 12:33PM by guenter.

Attachments: mainbar.bmp.gif (157.6 KB)  
Date: August 09, 2009 04:01PM

guenter
disrupted and I have completely finished a PhoenityAura port - If possible I would like to add this alpha transparency feature. He is in holiday on Cyprus.

1.) Which tools did you use for seamless alpha transparency?

Gimp 2.6 for Windows.

I don't think so. In Gimp, if I have to make a certain area transparent, I use color to alpha

p.s. K-Meleon supports the layout (rows above each other, see image below) of the Firefox png. If we find a good conversion tool - we could convert Firefox skins to K-Meleon more easily.

I didn't know that. Great news.

Without a good tool some rounded icons of Aura did not turn out well and it had to be done again in the traditional way with magic pink.

This image below is an automatic convert png to alpha channeled bmp (renamed gif so that forum accepts it).

What tool did you use to automatically convert it? I've had no problems with Gimp directly saving pngs as 32bit alpha transparent bmps.

Just rename and use as bmp.

Problem zones: the history/clock, the stars...

Used picture lines start at:

main.bmp[0]
main.bmp[14]
main.bmp[28]

BTW. 1.) What would You think about offering older skins updated as single archive.

2.) What would You think about including the new skins into the existing collection of skins and offer an archive of all known skins as single download.

Not a problem, but I'd definitely need to update them. This is the only one I've done with alpha-transparency. Sounds like a large download for people though.

BTW, some limitations exist so far with KM's implementation of alpha-transparency. Menuicons aren't supported (it's really needed for these because we can't control the menu background like we can for toolbars). The findcold & findhot images for the find bar aren't supported. And macro created toolbar buttons aren't supported.

I've attached a file with some Gimp converted Phoenity Aura alpha-trans bmps. Let me know if they work better.

Attachments: PhoenityAuraFiles.zip (62.2 KB)  
Date: August 09, 2009 05:12PM

jsnj

Gimp 2.6 for Windows.

I don't think so. In Gimp, if I have to make a certain area transparent, I use color to alpha

good info & news!

jsnj

What tool did you use to automatically convert it? I've had no problems with Gimp directly saving pngs as 32bit alpha transparent bmps.

AlphaConv

jsnj

Not a problem, but I'd definitely need to update them. This is the only one I've done with alpha-transparency.

I have updated most to 1.5 code already smiling smiley
An Archive for 1.1.x code still exists since 2007.

Only some new ones are not included yet.

Let me know when You dowenloaded 1.1.skins so that I can upload the updated 1.5. skins.

jsnj
Sounds like a large download for people though.

About 2.3 times the size of a K-Meleon for 150 odd skins grinning smiley

jsnj
BTW, some limitations exist so far with KM's implementation of alpha-transparency. Menuicons aren't supported (it's really needed for these because we can't control the menu background like we can for toolbars). The findcold & findhot images for the find bar aren't supported. And macro created toolbar buttons aren't supported.

I've attached a file with some Gimp converted Phoenity Aura alpha-trans bmps. Let me know if they work better.

ok - will do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 05:17PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 20, 2009 11:17PM

Euh, I can't read the privacy bar...
Some prob with transparency, perhaps due to my win98se??
small:

big:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 11:34PM by siria.

Date: September 21, 2009 03:24AM

Yeah, I think k-meleon.exe.manifest needs to be in your installation directory, but I don't think that file has any effect in Win9x. I should probably put for XP and above. Anyone know if alpha transparent KM skins can work in Win9x or Win2k?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 03:25AM by jsnj.

Attachments: Karameleon3.png (42.4 KB)   Karameleon4.png (31.3 KB)  
Date: September 21, 2009 07:23AM

No clue about transparency variations, but the small one seems partly transparent? (Except for the fuzzy borders and the privacy bar)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 07:39AM by siria.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 21, 2009 06:33PM

i don't know about 2k but gunter has 2k and i think they display alright there.
i tested on win98 and all alpha channel bmps are messy there so it seems 9x doesn't support them or display them as they should..some skins are worse then others but overall they all look terrible..even the throbber isn't showing transparent parts, maybe windows me displays them better since it was a bit recent.

i also think ubuntu/wine has a similar problem; alain had mentioned before.. not with alpha though with 24bits..not sure how will wine tolerate alpha bmps.. i would test with my freebsd but it's currently without a desktop

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: September 21, 2009 06:46PM

I'll try it under Ubuntu and reports the result.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: September 22, 2009 09:13AM

Under WinME "No Transparency/black" is a bug of the 2 buttons shown in previous screen-shots. All others I tried showed normal.

p.s. Dev request: Additionally this skin (Karameleon 1.0.1) needs a dummy kml.
Reason: English Bubble on mouse over. Examples Preferences/Compact Menu and Stop Button. And the skin also has English Tool-Bar-Menu items. The bug can be reproduced always with French and German language settings.

Cause: The texts do not auto translate. What is not known defaults "gracefully"(no error message) to an available language. One has to use texts from other kml like I did for some skins (example below, 2 buttons) or add a kml (I was too lazy to do a kml so i looked inside the Kmeleon.kml for suitable, existing texts grinning smiley ).

BTW. The developer does not translate kml. He adds a dummy kml and the native speakers that want to use the item must do the translation & submit it to the dev if they want it included. Else he asks a native user by mail or forum. Dummy? kml with english_string=english_string/or =nothing which the native users can translate if they want their native text).

Browser Con&figuration(24,24){
	Browser Con&figuration{
	%ifplugin rebarmenu
	rebarmenu(Preferences)|Compact Menu
	View Preferences. Right-click to view Compact Menu.
	%else
	ID_PREFERENCES|Compact Menu	
	%endif

optionshot.bmp[0]
	optionscold.bmp[0]
	optionscold.bmp[0]
	}

}

&Save Page As...(24,24){

Save{
	ID_FILE_SAVE_AS
	&Save Page As...
	mainbarhot.bmp[5]
	mainbarcold.bmp[5]
	mainbardead.bmp[5]
	}
}

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 10:19AM by guenter.

Date: September 22, 2009 08:00PM

guenter
Under WinME "No Transparency/black" is a bug of the 2 buttons shown in previous screen-shots. All others I tried showed normal.

p.s. Dev request: Additionally this skin (Karameleon 1.0.1) needs a dummy kml.
Reason: English Bubble on mouse over. Examples Preferences/Compact Menu and Stop Button. And the skin also has English Tool-Bar-Menu items. The bug can be reproduced always with French and German language settings.

Cause: The texts do not auto translate. What is not known defaults "gracefully"(no error message) to an available language. One has to use texts from other kml like I did for some skins (example below, 2 buttons) or add a kml (I was too lazy to do a kml so i looked inside the Kmeleon.kml for suitable, existing texts grinning smiley ).

BTW. The developer does not translate kml. He adds a dummy kml and the native speakers that want to use the item must do the translation & submit it to the dev if they want it included. Else he asks a native user by mail or forum. Dummy? kml with english_string=english_string/or =nothing which the native users can translate if they want their native text).

Browser Con&figuration(24,24){
	Browser Con&figuration{
	%ifplugin rebarmenu
	%else
	ID_PREFERENCES|Compact Menu	
	%endif

optionshot.bmp[0]
	optionscold.bmp[0]
	optionscold.bmp[0]
	}

}

&Save Page As...(24,24){

Save{
	ID_FILE_SAVE_AS
	&Save Page As...
	mainbarhot.bmp[5]
	mainbarcold.bmp[5]
	mainbardead.bmp[5]
	}
}

What is easiest or more preferable for the non-english Karameleon user? Dummy file with EN to EN or dummy file with EN to blank? Or would changes to the original toolbar file(if feasible) be better?

Date: September 22, 2009 09:06PM

jsnj
What is easiest or more preferable for the non-english Karameleon user? Dummy file with EN to EN or dummy file with EN to blank?

Or would changes to the original toolbar file (if feasible) be better?

1.) I do not know, and it does not matter. You do as You please grinning smiley
Engl_string=Blank is probably less works for the dev, that is what counts.
Qualified dev time is more scarce than native speakers time.

2.) I went through the German K-Meleon.kml and looked for similar candidates that are translated. That was easiest for me since I could use a simple installer without kml support.

If that is not possible I'd post here or put it into the read me of the installer.

Here: siria and I have German IP, alain has French IP, disrupted can translate to en-UK and maybe other - that covers some languages. Others will find it. Those the want the skin in their language will translate. If they do not translate they have English menu tongue sticking out smiley

Else I'd ask alain or desga2. If they want to use what I did, they will translate.
Some Spanish, French and German speakers have contact by mail.

Date: September 22, 2009 09:10PM

jsnj
What is easiest or more preferable for the non-english Karameleon user? Dummy file with EN to EN or dummy file with EN to blank?

Or would changes to the original toolbar file (if feasible) be better?

1.) I do not know, and it does not matter. You do as You please grinning smiley
Engl_string=Blank is probably less works for the dev, that is what counts.
Qualified dev time is more scarce than native speakers time.

2.) I went through the German K-Meleon.kml and looked for similar candidates that are translated. That was easiest for me since I could use a simple installer without kml support.

If that is not possible I'd post here or put it into the read me of the installer.

Here: siria and I have German IP, alain has French IP, disrupted can translate to en-UK and maybe other - that covers some languages. Others will find it. Those the want the skin in their language will translate. If they do not translate they will only have English menu tongue sticking out smiley

Else I'd ask alain or desga2. If they want to use what I did, they will translate.
Some Spanish, French and German speakers have contact by mail.

My suggestion = minimalistic approach grinning smiley

Karameleon.kml must be encoding UTF8! Many things are not ANSI any more.

Stop loading this page. Right-click to view privacy menu.=Laden dieser Seite abbrechen. Rechts-klicken für Datenschutzmenü.

My German says: right click for privacy menu / else the text is 2 long.

Plus suggesting the following changes. The strings are already translated in kmeleon.kml.

Browser Con&figuration(24,22) {

Browser Con&figuration{
%ifplugin rebarmenu
%endif
toolbarhot.bmp[12]
toolbarcold.bmp[12]
}

}

Change name for the whole bookmarks bar to bookmarks - must not have spaces.

Bookmarks(24,22){

%ifplugin bookmarks

Else user do more translations for kml? Up 2 You.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 08:43PM by guenter.

Date: October 03, 2009 08:37PM

Attachments: K-M(S)_Karameleon_1.0.1.zip (161.9 KB)   Karameleon4.png (31.3 KB)  
Date: October 03, 2009 08:38PM

Attachments: Karameleon3.png (42.4 KB)  
Posted by: D_S
Date: October 10, 2009 06:00PM

Very nice background and icons.

But why the url bar has to be so long? It takes so much precious space, that's why you have four (!!) bar lines.
I don't know about others, but in so many skins and themes (not only K-M, in all browsers actually, except for IE7 default layout maybe, which bars actually are very well laid out esthetically and usefully, too bad its still IE...) I always see the same mistake designers and programmers do - too big or too many browser bars!
Some of them - when you look at it on a screen less than 1280 resolution screen - take like 1/4 or even 1/3 of the screen estate.

I think every user wants to see the *webpages* as much as possible, not the browser's bars? I never understand the clutter of so many bars or buttons (for example why to have "print" or "history" buttons at all, how many pages one prints or how often anyone checks in browsing history, and it still can be accessed from File->Print or View->History when needed anyways)

Date: October 10, 2009 06:48PM

D_S

But why the url bar has to be so long? It takes so much precious space, that's why you have four (!!) bar lines.
I don't know about others, but in so many skins and themes (not only K-M, in all browsers actually, except for IE7 default layout maybe, which bars actually are very well laid out esthetically and usefully, too bad its still IE...) I always see the same mistake designers and programmers do - too big or too many browser bars!
Some of them - when you look at it on a screen less than 1280 resolution screen - take like 1/4 or even 1/3 of the screen estate.

I think every user wants to see the *webpages* as much as possible, not the browser's bars? I never understand the clutter of so many bars or buttons (for example why to have "print" or "history" buttons at all, how many pages one prints or how often anyone checks in browsing history, and it still can be accessed from File->Print or View->History when needed anyways)

The screenshots are solely designed to display the skin and all of its buttons. I don't keep my toolbars like that, nor do I expect anyone else to. It's purely presentational so the user can see the buttons they'd be getting. Then it's up to the user to setup the bars & buttons however they want

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 10, 2009 06:51PM

D_S

Simply because the URL bar is the most important toolbar anyway IMO. For some advanced users at least.
If average user Jo would give it more importance fishing sites would have less victims.
However you can costumize your toolbars even having more of them in one line.

For example:

Attachments: Toolbars.png (22.2 KB)  
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: June 17, 2010 05:30AM

Very nice background and icons. Thanks for post. It’s really informative stuff.I really like to read.Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! my best regards guys!

Posted by: ShareBird
Date: December 14, 2010 11:02PM

I'm sorry for needing to write this.

I'm the author and maintainer of Silvermel and Charamel Themes for Firefox and Thunderbird. AFAIK you've never asked for permissions to use the work from Alex or my work to release this theme.

I also have to mention that all icons on Charamel and Silvermel are copyrighted either by Alex W. or by me... Alex W. has transferred the artwork to me, so I have to defend also his interests.

First, even if the icons were published under some public license, it's a usual matter of politeness to ask for permissions. In the case of copyrighted work it's an obligation.

It seems also that you are making the same with other works and other authors (e.g. mcdavis and his Nasa Night Launch). This is not a commendable attitude.

Unfortunately, these precedents lead me to a contrary position regarding a possible permission. So please remove the files.

Date: December 14, 2010 11:57PM

ShareBird
I'm the author and maintainer of Silvermel and Charamel Themes for Firefox and Thunderbird. AFAIK you've never asked for permissions to use the work from Alex or my work to release this theme.

K-Meleon is no Firefox or Thunderbird clone.

Do You claim that You own the icons. And that the original author and creator of the icons had never released them for free use in browser skins?

ShareBird
It seems also that you are making the same with other works and other authors (e.g. mcdavis and his Nasa Night Launch). This is not a commendable attitude.

Do You start to own all icon sets? Or what gives You the right to suggest & say that?

@jsnj

Mr. Luiz "Pardal" Freudenthal's somewhat unusual licence.

Please check whether the icons were free before he became skin maintainer.
Else it is IMHO best to remove his FoxFanBoy art icons. Thx.

He smells like "my friend" Al - who also began to "own" previously free art. sad smiley

BTW. Da Sie so etwas unterstellen - IMHO ohne dessen sicher zu sein - also aus gegebenem Anlaß.

Wir hatten auch schon mal einen "Vogel" hier, dem plötzlich alles gehörte, sogar freie Ikonen. Der hat andere mit einer ähnlichen Wortwahl bearbeitet wie Sie.
Sie sind in bester Gesellschaft. winking smiley

jsnj wird die Sachlage sicher prüfen und dann angemessen handeln.

Und Sie sollten wirklich Ihrem normalen Nick oder Namen angeben. Den jemand, der mit anderen teilt, scheinen Sie wahrlich nicht zu sein.

Im Übrigen ist jsnj nicht aus Deutschland, andere Länder andere Sitten & Gesetze.

mfG guenter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 12:22AM by guenter.

Date: December 15, 2010 12:32AM

guenter
ShareBird

@jsnj

Mr. Luiz "Pardal" Freudenthal's somewhat unusual licence.

Please check whether the icons were free or not before he became maintainer.
Else it is IMHO best to remove his FoxFanBoy art icons. Thx.

He smells like "my friend" Al - who also began to "own" previously free art. sad smiley

BTW. Wir hatten auch mal einen Vogel hier, dem plötzlich alles gehörte, auch freie Ikonen. Der ist Gott sei Dank weg.

jsnj wird es sicher prüfen. Und Sie sollten wirklich Ihrem normalen Nick oder Namen angeben. Den jemand, der mit anderen teilt, scheinen Sie mir wahrlich nicht zu sein.

Im Übrigen ist jsnj nicht aus Deutschland, andere Länder andere Sitten & Gesetze.

mfG guenter

Hello Guenter,

yes, my name is Luiz "Pardal" Freudenthal. I just posted as ShareBird because it is my nickname as developer at addons.mozilla: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7517/

I'm sorry to know that you have such "fiends" at this community causing you to smell me as something similar... As you can see here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1520265 and here: http://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75674 I'm not such a guy.

My license at mozilla is not so unusual as you think. Other developers has also something similar, like mcdavis and his Nasa Night Launch, another theme that was ripped by jsnj.

The icons from Charamel were always copyrighted and the additional icons I've made for Silvermel are also copyrighted. They are not "FoxFanBoy art icons", but product from the hard work of Alex Wong and me. I'm sorry if you think like this.
Copyright in this case is not a matter of Germany, since Alex Wong doesn't live in Germany as I do.

Mein lieber Günter, bitte unterstütze wahre open source Entwickler, nicht solche rippers... Wie gesagt, solche Einstellungen wie die von jsnj kann ich nicht unterstützen. Es ist auch keine Frage des "nicht teilen wollen", ich hoffe es ist klar worum es hier geht.

Date: December 15, 2010 01:05AM

Well, I have no idea whether he asked or not, or whether you're the person you say or not. In general I have the impression that jsnj is a very decent and helpful guy, not someone who'd take copyrighted work out of carelessness or disregard.
But frankly, after looking at guenters link I must say that it's really not obvious that this skin doesn't have the public license written at the bottom of the page! If guenter had not posted the direct license link, I'd never have noticed that very unconspicous license link at all, and even knowing now that it exists, had to search real hard to find it from the skin main page! One expects it somewhere in the heading, listed along with "Update", "Works With", "Author" etc.

Regarding Nasa Night Launch, knowing now where to look for that custom license link, I can't find *any* there. Unless it's hidden yet better...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4908/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:16AM by siria.

Date: December 15, 2010 01:50AM

ShareBird

1.) yes, my name is Luiz "Pardal" Freudenthal. I just posted as ShareBird because it is my nickname as developer at addons.mozilla: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7517/

2.) I'm sorry to know that you have such "fiends" at this community causing you to smell me as something similar... As you can see here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1520265 and here: http://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75674 I'm not such a guy.

3.) My license at mozilla is not so unusual as you think. Other developers has also something similar, like mcdavis and his Nasa Night Launch, another theme that was ripped by jsnj.

The icons from Charamel were always copyrighted and the additional icons I've made for Silvermel are also copyrighted. They are not "FoxFanBoy art icons", but product from the hard work of Alex Wong and me. I'm sorry if you think like this.
Copyright in this case is not a matter of Germany, since Alex Wong doesn't live in Germany as I do.

Mein lieber Günter, bitte unterstütze wahre open source Entwickler, nicht solche rippers... Wie gesagt, solche Einstellungen wie die von jsnj kann ich nicht unterstützen. Es ist auch keine Frage des "nicht teilen wollen", ich hoffe es ist klar worum es hier geht.

1.) If it is Your usual nick - it is ok and a misunderstanding of mine. Sorry.

2.) Truly a "fiend". sad smiley

3.) I find the license unusual since I have never seen anything like it & since I released the icons I did from optical primitives to be free.

I know from my own exerience that it is very hard work to create any icon set.

But it is also not trivial / not easy to port an icon set so that it can be used with K-Meleon toolbars.cfg code. You have to repaint a lot. I know because I helped to port the Phoenity Aura icon set and to create some additional, needed icons in the same style.

4.) Ja - Da sind in mir böse Erinnerungen geweckt. Entschuldigen Sie bitte.

Sie sind sauer auf jsnj. Ich denke aber, er hat es übersehen, siehe sirias Beitrag.
Er ist mit Copyright in all den Jahren seit 2004 sonst umsichtig gewesen.

Und er hat als Entwickler von K-Meleon 0.9 sehr viel Zeit für Freeware gegeben und sollte schon deshalb nicht in diesem Licht gesehen werden. Er hat es IMHO nicht verdient. Ich hoffe Sie verstehen mich.

Das Portieren von png Skins ist leider auch eine miese Schinderei, da ist "Rippen" sprachlich nicht gut. Mit faulem "Rippen" ist das nicht getan. Vermute mal, Sie nehmen es statt stehlen.

mfg guenter

p.s. Es sind hier nicht viele, die etwas tun können - so ist es bedauerlich, dass jsnj Zeit in das Portieren Ihrer Ikonen investiert hat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 02:12AM by guenter.

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 15, 2010 10:41AM

guenter
p.s. Es sind hier nicht viele, die etwas tun können - so ist es bedauerlich, dass jsnj Zeit in das Portieren Ihrer Ikonen investiert hat.

Indeed.

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 16, 2010 08:14AM

jsnj, you should rather port that prehistoric skin for Opera. The last one before I switched to Km and ... RMacU skin. grinning smiley

It was so original with all that bones ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 08:15AM by panzer.

Date: January 02, 2011 07:46PM

For anyone interested:

Shortly after ShareBird's post, I contacted the email linked to from his forum name in this thread. In it, among other things, I apologized for any offense since none was intended and explained that Karameleon should only be considered an homage to the original. I've yet to receive a response. Not sure what to make of that, but it may put the legitimacy of the post in question. Anyway, assuming ShareBird's authenticity, I'm not sure what he means by "ripping". To me, that infers stealing and posting as my own. That's clearly not the case since the first sentence in this thread has always listed both the original creator & new maintainer/owner AND provides links to both sites. So Karameleon's existence can only serve to send more traffic his way and potentially more monetary donations his way which he asks for. I'm surprised that within an open source environment, these sorts of attitudes exist. I can understand offense if one isn't given proper credit for work done, but again, that's clearly not the case here or with any other ports I've done. So I hope this post puts the matter to bed if it isn't already.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2011 07:51PM by jsnj.

Date: January 06, 2011 06:50PM

Firstly I would like to apologize for the time that I needed to post an answer here. My computer was broken and unfortunately this caused a backlog of emails to answer and things to do.

I actually received in the meantime, two emails from developers related to this issue. I'll answer them here. I want to say also that I thought for some time on this issue.

I have absolutely nothing against this project, which has my deepest admiration; much less against the theme's developers community here. I have a very good friend (whom I miss a lot) that has long time developed a number of themes for K-Meleon.

What I am absolutely against it is the general idea that everything that exists on the net can be used, all that is needed is to give credits. I obviously did not know jsnj, and now, knowing his reputation as a developer, I think even worse than that kind of mentality is so pervasive that even a developer like jsnj thinks so...

I would like to briefly tell the story of Silvermel and what was my attitude toward this work.

When I had the idea of modifying Charamel for my own use, giving it grays, I thought the only thing I needed was to modify the CSS font colors and backgrounds. Unfortunately the result was horrible. I had to study every bit from Charamel and change all the graphics, because all of them had shadows according to Charamel's colors. Some of the graphics I've needed to practically recreate, drawing them in vectors to modify them properly. Those graphics are actually what you are using in your theme...

As I thought the work was good enough that maybe someone would also like to use it, I've first asked Alex for permissions to post it on the forum. Alex didn't give me permission and this was ok for me. He told me that I could share with my friends, what I did. For many years Silvermel was used by a circle of about 50 people, to whom I sent updates via email. During this time, there was never a Silvermel file on the net. I guess this is the correct attitude regarding use of others material... I've only released the theme and took the maintenance from Charamel, because Alex asked me to do so, more than four years after I've began with his work.

So, the secondary matter on this but also very important is that it's copyrighted material. I'm obligated to protect them in my interest and from Alex. The matter of giving permissions to use the work, becomes very difficult because of the special mix of copyright in the whole work.

And sorry, but I would like to express my feelings about something... Your statement that you are "helping" me with traffic on my site is quite offensive for me... It contains the supposition I'm doing this for money... I have very high costs maintaining my home page. The amount of contributions doesn't pay even those costs...

So, to seal this, as for me, you don't have permissions to release any derivative of my work conforming the license at Mozilla. Feel free to share it with your friends, but please remove the files from the net.

I'm pretty sure other developers aren't also happy to see their work being used on other projects without being asked for permissions...

Date: January 06, 2011 09:56PM

ShareBird
Firstly I would like to apologize for the time that I needed to post an answer here. My computer was broken and unfortunately this caused a backlog of emails to answer and things to do.

I actually received in the meantime, two emails from developers related to this issue. I'll answer them here. I want to say also that I thought for some time on this issue.

I have absolutely nothing against this project, which has my deepest admiration; much less against the theme's developers community here. I have a very good friend (whom I miss a lot) that has long time developed a number of themes for K-Meleon.

What I am absolutely against it is the general idea that everything that exists on the net can be used, all that is needed is to give credits. I obviously did not know jsnj, and now, knowing his reputation as a developer, I think even worse than that kind of mentality is so pervasive that even a developer like jsnj thinks so...

I would like to briefly tell the story of Silvermel and what was my attitude toward this work.

When I had the idea of modifying Charamel for my own use, giving it grays, I thought the only thing I needed was to modify the CSS font colors and backgrounds. Unfortunately the result was horrible. I had to study every bit from Charamel and change all the graphics, because all of them had shadows according to Charamel's colors. Some of the graphics I've needed to practically recreate, drawing them in vectors to modify them properly. Those graphics are actually what you are using in your theme...

As I thought the work was good enough that maybe someone would also like to use it, I've first asked Alex for permissions to post it on the forum. Alex didn't give me permission and this was ok for me. He told me that I could share with my friends, what I did. For many years Silvermel was used by a circle of about 50 people, to whom I sent updates via email. During this time, there was never a Silvermel file on the net. I guess this is the correct attitude regarding use of others material... I've only released the theme and took the maintenance from Charamel, because Alex asked me to do so, more than four years after I've began with his work.

So, the secondary matter on this but also very important is that it's copyrighted material. I'm obligated to protect them in my interest and from Alex. The matter of giving permissions to use the work, becomes very difficult because of the special mix of copyright in the whole work.

And sorry, but I would like to express my feelings about something... Your statement that you are "helping" me with traffic on my site is quite offensive for me... It contains the supposition I'm doing this for money... I have very high costs maintaining my home page. The amount of contributions doesn't pay even those costs...

So, to seal this, as for me, you don't have permissions to release any derivative of my work conforming the license at Mozilla. Feel free to share it with your friends, but please remove the files from the net.

I'm pretty sure other developers aren't also happy to see their work being used on other projects without being asked for permissions...

This response does nothing but reiterate your previous posts and does nothing to clarify how Karameleon's existence can hurt you in ANY way. And I don't understand why you are deeply offended by my pointing out the fact that you ask for donations for your work. I didn't criticize you for doing so. There is nothing wrong with doing so. If you're embarrassed by that, then check your own psyche. Anyway, your wish is my command. Users can contact me directly to use this theme. There will be no link or association w/you or the original creator in any way. PEACE!

Posted by: DAC324
Date: September 03, 2014 10:03AM

jsnj
*As per request, you'll have to contact me
I saw that conversation and I understand your decision. But how to contact you? This forum does not seem to have a personal message feature, and I am not able to find an e-mail address in your profile.

Kind regards,
DAC324

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.