K-Meleon Lighthouse Throbber
Posted by: duffy2009
Date: September 30, 2010 12:52PM

I looked through this forum before and also checked on Google for a very real looking lighthouse throbber. I found one or two but they weren't too real looking. I thought I remembered Netscape once having a real looking type lighthouse with the light going around. I can't find any trace of it on Google ... I'm not sure if Netscape had that lighthouse throbber but I seem to remember it, maybe 10 years ago ... but can't find anything about it now. Of course, I don't want Netscape or anything on it ... just a natural stone looking lighthouse with a white or maybe yellowish light revolving around when the browser is busy. Anybody know of such a throbber. I did try one out but if I remember, it was too many colors and looked too cartoonish and not very real. ... thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 09:23AM by duffy2009.

Re: K-Meleon Lighthouse Throbber ???
Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 10, 2010 05:44PM

duffy, if you find a lighthouse image you like-preferably small size, please post it and maybe i can make it into a throbber

Date: October 11, 2010 05:07PM

thanks disrupted for the offer ... here's the lighthouse I have in mind ... the famous one near or around York, Maine ... Cape Neddick Lighthouse:

http://www.lighthouse.cc/capeneddick/

... I like the whole look (house and lighthouse) but just the lighthouse is what I had in mind for use as a throbber, sitting on a stone base or something ... not much room for anything else in that throbber space ... maybe a yellow or white light going around ... not sure what would look best, probably a yellowish light. It isn't much for you to work with ... I am still looking for a small picture. Would something like an icon picture work ... I like it to fit into the throbber space now in KM. I'm not too well into the knowledge needed to make one ... I was hoping someone had already made something similar and I just had to find it. Not a priority but if you have the time to fool around with the idea then I thank you very much.

Another image ...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cape-neddick-lighthouse-1.jpg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 05:15PM by duffy2009.

Date: October 11, 2010 06:49PM

that's alright, the size is good. yellow light didn't look very realistic-rightlcik-save target as
http://kmext.sf.net/skins/lighthouse/throbber.avi

Date: October 12, 2010 03:36AM

disrupted ... just got back on the computer and to the forum ... I didn't expect anything so soon. That lighthouse is fantastic, very real looking ... thank you so much ... the white light looks really good going around, as you said the white light is better. I don't know how you were able to do it but you did, you even got the little house or building connected to the lighthouse into the picture ... thanks again.

... Well I have been zipping around for 30 minutes or so ... just have to say one more time ... really like that lighthouse. Funny sometimes how the little things in life makes a person happy, like a little lighthouse throbber! grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 10:13AM by duffy2009.

Date: October 12, 2010 03:29PM

i'm very glad you liked it smiling smiley

Posted by: mhf
Date: October 13, 2010 05:40PM

Don't want to be a bore - but I have a feeling (no proof) that the light in a lighthouse turns clockwise !

Apart from that I really like this throbber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 05:40PM by mhf.

Date: October 14, 2010 08:17AM

... actually there seems to be no standard ... some have lights going clockwise and some go counterclockwise (anti-clockwise). Sort of like horse racing ... in the US the races are counterclockwise and many other parts of the world the races are clockwise. I think in Austraila many lighthouses are clockwise but not all.

Some stuff from Google ...

Mull of Galloway Lighthouse Webcam
Nightime brings views of the light sweeping anti-clockwise, flashing every 20 seconds. ... It is a sealed-beam light, mounted on gearless revolving pedestal, ... input and being sealed in a vacuum these do not deteriorate or tarnish.

----------------------

Lighthouses of Alderney (Channel Islands) Depicted on Postcards ...
In 1834 the three revolving lights (which were not synchronised and ... In contrast to most lighthouses the optics rotate in an anti-clockwise direction.

----------------------

The Swan Island Lighthouse
Sep 23, 2003 ... The lantern revolves in an anti-clockwise direction, and along with a Victorian light are believe to be only ones in the southern hemisphere to turn this way.

... so as I said earlier, there seems to be no particular standard of one direction or the other. I guess that decision was left to what the locals wanted or the lighthouse buider or mariners wanted. Now as to this particular lighthouse in Maine ... I really don't know which direction the light really goes ... I only saw it in the daytime and didn't take notice or ask at the time. I guess that's a good reason to head back to Maine one day, a "fact finding mission" vacation. I like (prefer) the counterclockwise direction myself. ... Perhaps disrupted, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could also make the lighthouse throbber go clockwise and then people can choose which ever direction they like. Hate to put that on you disrupted ... but maybe people from "down under" and other places would like a clockwise direction, if that's the direction lighthouse lights revolve where they live.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 04:53AM by duffy2009.

Date: October 14, 2010 12:53PM

no problem, i just rotate the sequence
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/skins/lighthouse/ccw/thobber.avi

i don't know about the standards in lighthouse rotation, most that i've seen rotate anticlockwise(at night and still working not turned into b&b) but i think it depends on where you stand from the lighthouse in relation to the sea..what will appear clockwise on land will be counterclockwise to the seamen and vice versa

Date: October 14, 2010 01:34PM

Thanks again disrupted for the people who want a lighthouse going clockwise. So now there are two lighthouse throbber downloads ... one for anti-clockwise and one for clockwise rotation? ... I see that you have "ccw" in the latest download ... does that stand for "counterclockwise" ... I didn't load it since I like the first download you did as it is anti-clockwise. Just wanted to verify if that second download was "clockwise" but you have "ccw" in the download link ... was wondering if it should be "cw" ... thanks, I will download and give it a try. As I said in an earlier post ... there seems to be no standard on the rotating light going one way or the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 01:36PM by duffy2009.

Posted by: mhf
Date: October 14, 2010 06:10PM

Wow - looks as though I whipped up a storm at sea ! Thanks for all the information about lighthouses duffy and thanks disrupted for the really nice throbber.

I've checked a bit and there doesn't seem to be any special reason why some turn clockwise and other anticlockwise (though one comment I found referred to the original clockwork mechanisms) - but this information about direcion of rotation is very often noted as a characteristic of a particular lighthouse.

But NO disrupted, if you stand 'behind' a lighthouse, the light still goes the same way round (or was that a joke ?).

Also see this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 06:11PM by mhf.

Date: October 14, 2010 07:00PM

yes i meant that 2nd throbber is clockwise.. wasn;t a joke mhf, it was a brain shutdown

here's another interesting lnk
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/

lighthouse/gallows tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 23, 2011 04:29PM

disrupted
will appear clockwise on land will be counterclockwise to the seamen and vice versa

I don't think so, unless the viewer stands on his head.grinning smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 24, 2011 01:29PM

@ disrupted

Thank you for the Lighthouse Throbber. It's definitely more noticeable than the Dragon Fire.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: duffy98
Date: November 19, 2012 10:59AM

Just thought I'd revive this post again ... thanks again disrupted, the Lighthouse has been turning and working for two years now. Never get tired of watching it!

Posted by: Kleon
Date: November 22, 2012 09:49PM

I like the picture. It could fit the skin a little better, though (using Aura Alpha large).

Also it would be nice if it could be added to the tabs, when loading (am I asking too much?)

——————————————————————————
Windows XP Pro SP3 | K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta2
Trying out various subspecies of the lizard smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 06:50PM by Kleon.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 23, 2012 02:51PM

Kleon
Also it would be nice if it could be added to the tabs, when loading (am I asking too much?)

The throbber is an avi file and the loading icon is an ico file. An ico is a static picture and an avi is short movie. I don't see how they could interchange without some programming. The thing is that we no longer have a programmer for the project.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: deadlock
Date: November 23, 2012 08:46PM

Kleon
It could fit the skin a little better

Wrong size?
Wrong color?
No transparency?

Kleon

Are you talking about animated pictures in tabs?

If I use lighthouse loading.ico it gets replaced
by cached favicons in a second.

It looks nice, if I disable favicons and use
lighthouse default.ico with lighthouse throbber.

I've attached icons of disrupted's avi.

Attachments: Lighthouse-l.7z (5.6 KB)  
Date: November 25, 2012 06:39PM

I meant the size of the .avi file. I attach a small screenshot to show what I mean. At least this is how it looks in AuraAlpha Large. I haven't tried it in other skins.

This is no big deal, however. And thanks for the .ico files. They work very well in loading tabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 11:36PM by Kleon.

Attachments: KMeldesktop.jpg (22 KB)  
Date: November 25, 2012 09:18PM

Kleon
I meant the size of the .avi file. I attach a small screenshot to show what I mean. At least this is how it looks in Alpha Aurea Large. I haven't tried it in other skins.

This is no big deal, however. And thanks for the .ico files. They work very well in loading tabs.

You're using Windows XP Style and have
lines in the background bitmap. It doesn't
happen with Windows Classic Style.

There is always a space between end
of toolband and frame border, but the
throbber always touches frame border.

URL-Bar and Tabs use auto-size and show
the limit of toolband.

I had the same problem and moved ABP icon
to the left of throbber (attachment below).

You can't size the throbber with this,
but it may help:

AuraAlpha
kmeleon.toolband.Throbber.size 16
kmeleon.toolband.Adblock Plus.size 16

AuraAlpha(Large)
kmeleon.toolband.Throbber.size 24
kmeleon.toolband.Adblock Plus.size 24

I'm using kmeleon.general.skinsCurrent,
for plugins and macros, to find out
if a (Large) skin is in use.

There is a problem with 1.6b2 if I
use this throbber with small skins.
We'll have to rebuild the AVI for your
browser/skin combination.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 11:25PM by deadlock.

Attachments: LH-l-on-KM16b2.jpg (6.6 KB)   small-LH-l-on-KM16b2.jpg (6.4 KB)  
Date: November 25, 2012 10:58PM

You are right, it looks a little better in Windows Classic. But I think I will stick to Windows XP, though.

The background bmp is the default background for AuraAlpha. It should be in your Skins folder (if you're using 1.5.4 or later).

Date: November 25, 2012 11:23PM

Kleon
You are right, it looks a little better in Windows Classic. But I think I will stick to Windows XP, though.

The background bmp is the default background for AuraAlpha. It should be in your Skins folder (if you're using 1.5.4 or later).

My idea was, that you move it to the left of throbber.

Found the original background of AuraAlpha and
deleted the request from my old message.
But you've answered before I finished editing.

I've attached a screenshot of a new beta
using a feature to resize the 24x24 AVI.

Attachments: small-LH-l-on-KM16b3.jpg (6.6 KB)  
K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.