Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Cutomizing K-Meleon
Posted by: ColdWarBaby
Date: August 08, 2010 08:01PM

I've just started using K-Meleon and I like the speed and much of the performance. The preferences menu doesn't seem very user-friendly however. I can't figure out how to remove buttons from toolbars.
Also, I installed a nice black skin, KnasaKnightLaunch(small), and it's pretty cool. Only problem is, it didn't change the font color from black so none of the text is visible. Anyone know how to change font colors?
Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no way to Peace. Peace is the Way.
CWB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutomizing K-Meleon
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 08, 2010 10:06PM

To remove a button from the toolbar you need to edit the file named 'toolbars.cfg' within the folder of the skin being used. If I wanted to remove the print button I would find that code and put a # character before each line.

Print{
	ID_FILE_PRINT|Print
	Print this page. Right-click for more options.
	toolhot.bmp[6]
	toolcold.bmp[6]
	tooldead.bmp[6]
	}

would become:

#	Print{
#	ID_FILE_PRINT|Print
#	Print this page. Right-click for more options.
#	toolhot.bmp[6]
#	toolcold.bmp[6]
#	tooldead.bmp[6]
#	}

Then save the file.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 08, 2010 11:47PM

That buttons file is also accessible via
Edit > Configuration > Toolbars

I suppose you've found also View > Toolbars?
If you're a security freak you may want to take a look at the "Privacy" Toolbar, which is off by default. If not, Just take a look to remember its existence and then close it again, LOL! It's just one of the things I like most about KM ;-)

For changing the menu text color, truly sorry, but jsnj and other experts keep telling that this depends directly from the windows theme, so no luck... You can change that systemwide though if you like...

Posted by: jsnj
Date: August 09, 2010 03:50AM

ColdWarBaby
I've just started using K-Meleon and I like the speed and much of the performance. The preferences menu doesn't seem very user-friendly however. I can't figure out how to remove buttons from toolbars.
Also, I installed a nice black skin, KnasaKnightLaunch(small), and it's pretty cool. Only problem is, it didn't change the font color from black so none of the text is visible. Anyone know how to change font colors?

It's been awhile since I've updated this skin, but you should have 3 versions installed. Use (KnasaKnightLaunch -) That only has Compact menu(so you can hide the menu bar), Back, Forward, Stop & Reload on the Main Bar. The other toolbars you can hide from View - Toolbars. More customization requires messing with the toolbars.cfg file as mentioned. Privacy Bar is not available in this skin, but you can access all of its functions by right-clicking the stop button.

Also as mentioned, in KM, fonts are controlled by Windows, not the skin. You'll have to change your Windows theme or VS. If you're on XP, search for any of the following Visual Styles at deviantart.com: Trinium, Ex2008, TypeZero, Concave, Carbon Pro, CoverXp, iQuantum, Lightroom. You'll need a patched uxtheme available for free all over the place to be able to use them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 03:53AM by jsnj.

Date: August 09, 2010 05:45PM

Thanks JamesD.
I stumbled upon the configuration option under Edit in the menu bar so I've managed to remove the buttons I didn't want.
Next problem I have is the font color on the menu bar. I can't find any reference in the file for the theme I'm using. Do I need to edit the Browser Configuration?
Thanks again.

CWB

Date: August 09, 2010 05:51PM

Thanks siria.
I've got a custom skin and it has the security option hidden behind the stop loading page button. It's accessed by right clicking.
I guess I'll take a look at the browser configuration file and see if I can find any reference to the menu bar and text color. I'd really rather not mess with that file but, hey, life's supposed to be an adventure, right?
Thanks again.

CWB

Date: August 09, 2010 06:00PM

jsnj
ColdWarBaby

It's been awhile since I've updated this skin, but you should have 3 versions installed. Use (KnasaKnightLaunch -) That only has Compact menu(so you can hide the menu bar), Back, Forward, Stop & Reload on the Main Bar. The other toolbars you can hide from View - Toolbars. More customization requires messing with the toolbars.cfg file as mentioned. Privacy Bar is not available in this skin, but you can access all of its functions by right-clicking the stop button.

Also as mentioned, in KM, fonts are controlled by Windows, not the skin. You'll have to change your Windows theme or VS. If you're on XP, search for any of the following Visual Styles at deviantart.com: Trinium, Ex2008, TypeZero, Concave, Carbon Pro, CoverXp, iQuantum, Lightroom. You'll need a patched uxtheme available for free all over the place to be able to use them.

Thanks jsnj.
I did manage to get rid of the buttons I don't want. I don't suppose the font color can be changed in the Browser Config file? I'll check out deviant art and and see what I can do. I'm not a technically minded person and don't really know anything about code but I guess it's always best to learn by experience.
Thanks again.

CWB

Date: August 09, 2010 07:19PM

ColdWarBaby
I'd really rather not mess with that file but, hey, life's supposed to be an adventure, right?
I'm not a technically minded person and don't really know anything about code but I guess it's always best to learn by experience.

Hey but still you figured out how to hide buttons, and really - it's not that complicated as it seems at first look, is it? ;-) Don't hesitate 'messing' with that file, because it's really meant for that, this is there for users to customize. One tip of course: Make a backup copy of that file first grinning smiley Even better: Make a backup copy of the KM program folder, and if separate of your profile folder, then you can try anything and if it doesn't work, simply copy back the old configuration. That's one of the things that most users learn sooner or later the hard way: To keep a copy of the personal profile folder at least :cool:

Date: August 12, 2010 05:06AM

Thanks siria.

CWB

Posted by: dancmd
Date: December 10, 2010 04:27PM

id doesn't work; i'm on w7 ultimate 32bit and it doesn't allow me to change the damn file...

Date: December 10, 2010 05:21PM

What ID does not work, and what file do you need to change?

Date: December 10, 2010 07:06PM

Never much thought about it (being on win9x), but he's right:
While the profiles can be placed in the user account with default writing rights, the skins are always in the program folder. Usually without rights, unless given manually, but if someone doesn't know how...
At any rate right-click on the skins folder and look for something like "security" settings, to allow yourself writing rights...

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: December 11, 2010 09:24PM

Hi, all,

I closed away my machines, because of addiction ..
Writing this from a cafe now, for 75 EuroCents per hour
- couldn't resist to peek in here ...

"the skins are always in the program folder"

Well, it IS possible to MOVE a skin from the KM\skins folder to a ProfileFolder\skins folder - it does work, as long as no skin of the same name appears in the KM\skins folder. I tried.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: December 11, 2010 11:36PM

SoerenB
Well, it IS possible to MOVE a skin from the KM\skins folder to a ProfileFolder\skins folder - it does work, as long as no skin of the same name appears in the KM\skins folder. I tried.

That is an excellent find. I forsee that helping me when I move to an OS where I have differing user rights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 11:36PM by JamesD.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.