Graphics :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon icons, skins and throbbers. 
Skin Classiria
Posted by: siria
Date: January 04, 2010 12:11AM

Finally, after half a year - my skin!!
Must admit most of the icons are from the klassic skin, more or less modified, and a couple new ones. But this skin isn't really about icons, it's about squeezing as much infos and tips in it as possible ;-) I hope that helps a bit new users to quicker find their way with where to find what, which settings etc. So I added a bunch more buttons in the toolbars.cfg (some of them need additional macros!), added lots of right-click functions (almost every button has now some related menu on it), and extended the tooltip-texts with hints to shortcuts and infos etc.

Yes I know, those extended tooltips aren't translatable, but ONE of the skin-variations here is called "international": This one has just the short default tooltips, no hints about right-click functions in the text or anything. But those short tooltips get automatically translated. And the extended functions are still there, just do a right-click.

Yet more, if someone opens the toolbars.cfg (e.g. by clicking on the toolbars-icon), then there are lots more infos written between the buttons. I'm afraid this sure looks a lot more intimidating than the normal skins, and it's gotten rather chaotic and not all is easy to understand, probably also not all 100% correct, but perhaps the one or other new user will still find something useful in it...

So basically this is 1 skin in 6 variations. Just more or less buttons visible and different backgrounds, but the icons are always the same (only in the dark one slightly modified):

classiria
classiria(16px-2-Lines)
classiria(16px-1-Line)
classiria(16px-dark)
classiria(16px-max)
classiria(16px-international-no-info)

More than 15 backgrounds included in various colors smiling smiley
(Even pink, since little girls like it so much, urgh!) :cool:

(What's not quite ready yet is a separate little help-file for skinning, will post it a bit later.)

Don't wonder if not all buttons work, for a few are additional macros needed. Which ones and where to get it, is written in the toolbars.cfg at those buttons, where you can also simply hide that button of course! It's all about choice, lots of buttons offered so everyone can choose which ones he wants visible.
And I cannot influence which toolbars are visible, this every user must switch himself.

3-Lines (default)

x
2-Lines

x
1-Line

x
Dark (forget it, just for fun ;-)

x
Max - all buttons, for demo only

x
International = translatable but no infos

x
Yet another color of the 15+

DOWNLOAD:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/skins/Classiria.zip

Update: the image hoster doesn't exist anymore. A few mini-pics are still visible here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/K-MeleonThemes15

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2013 11:27AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skin Classiria
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 04, 2010 12:55PM

Pretty and fine extra functions.

p.s. Unless You can recycle phrases from K-Meleon.kml this skin will need a kml of its own. It cannot switch languages for the added functionality. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 12:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: Doon
Date: January 19, 2010 09:25AM

There is far more to this skin than is obvious here. Casual users and those learning to customise the browser really should try this!

The abundance of functional buttons and right-click menus is impressive. The tooltip info on the buttons is helpful but there is also a wealth of written information embedded in the configuration file that will educate the user and make editing decisions much easier.

Siria has made toolbars.cfg interesting reading! I have learned new things while browsing through the file, from both the help texts and the prepared code, and I plan to keep it around so I can harvest bits and pieces in the future.

While some may not like or need all of those functions as buttons, having them on the interface like that could open the eyes of casual users to the possibilities that K-Meleon presents. And having all of it prepared makes it easy for someone to keep what they like and hide the rest as they learn to edit the toolbar configuration file.

These skin variants are the perfect environment to poke around in and learn from without having to worry about messing up the default toolbars. Shy users: there is no need to be intimidated by what may look like a large pile of stuff here, just extract the contents to the K-Meleon folder and change the skin (Edit -> Preferences -> GUI Appearance), then restart the browser and hover your mouse around (and right-click) to see what there is to see.

This is a great resource and a contribution to the K-Meleon knowledge base that should not be overlooked. Excellent work Siria.

Two bonus toolbar tips:

Click Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration or type about:config in the address bar. Then right-click in the window and chose New -> Boolean, with a preference name of kmeleon.display.toolbars_line and a value of false. When set to false the thin horizontal lines between toolbars are hidden. Filter the word "line" to find this preference again.

Also in the configuration window, if you filter the word "locked" you will see the preference kmeleon.general.toolbars_locked, double-clicking this will change it's state between true and false, if set to true the vertical line that allows you to move toolbars and adjust their width is eliminated (thus locking the toolbars - the same preference toggled in the View -> Toolbars menu).

Both of these visual options are depicted in the screenshots seen above.

As an aside, Siria, I'd been meaning to check Classiria out but was putting it off til 'later'. Today I decided that I needed to make myself an offline/online button, so I edited the toolbar config, used some placeholder icons from the default bitmaps, then later decided to add my own custom icons to the bitmaps and wasted lots of time editing and trying out variations. When I was done I began to wonder if anyone had done this before, and remembering your Classiria I thought to myself that you must have surely made one, so I finally downloaded it to see. Yep, you had, and your icon was 20x better than mine, so everything I did today was a waste of time. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 05:54AM by Doon.

Date: January 19, 2010 10:57PM

Thank you Doon, that's very very kind of you! :-)))

Really glad you like it, so it really can't be too bad, and you described perfectly my intentions with this skin and all the scribbled infos in it smiling smiley

Not the first time we seem to tick rather similarly (browserwise grinning smiley), and I know way too well that problem with 'later' too, LOL!

Posted by: Doon
Date: January 20, 2010 09:25PM

smiling smiley

To add some criticism to my praise I will say that I really don't like the first three buttons on your main toolbars (I think back/forward should be first), but as we know, moving or removing such things to satisfy an individual preference is a simple matter! Which leads me to the following, to encourage others to customise their toolbars...

For those who have never changed their toolbars:

Clicking Edit -> Configuration -> Toolbars will open up the plain text file called toolbars.cfg (each skin has it's own), which contains all of the code that creates and defines the toolbars and buttons.

The text that defines each toolbar button is clustered into paragraphs, making it easy to move or hide individual buttons within a toolbar. Now imagine that you don't like the first three buttons on a toolbar, that you wish to swap the positions of button one and two and remove button three. To make those changes you could edit the text like this example:

Paragraph2
Paragraph2
Paragraph2
Paragraph2

Paragraph1
Paragraph1
Paragraph1
Paragraph1

# Paragraph3
# Paragraph3
# Paragraph3
# Paragraph3

The lines of paragraph/button 2 were cut and then pasted above those of paragraph/button 1, thus swapping their order. Then a '#' sign was placed in front of all the lines of paragraph/button 3 in order to disable the code and hide the button, transforming it into 'comment' text seen only when the file is edited.

Moving and hiding buttons is as easy as that, and the beauty of Siria's toolbar.cfg is that it's full of helpful labels, comments, advice, instructions and even links to external help and resources. Again, it's a great resource for those learning to customise the browser.

Date: March 05, 2010 11:06PM

Nice explanation Doon smiling smiley

Good news: Today the new K-Meleon 1.5.4 was released! smiling smiley

Unfortunately the name of the configuration menu has the underline elsewhere, which affects the right-click menu on the configuration button (hammer and screw driver icon). So a little update is needed for this skin. Sorry...

If you want to use that button in KM 1.5.4 or newer please click Edit>Configuration>Toolbars, to edit the current skin, or just look into the skin folders and open the toolbars.cfg directly, then use Ctrl+F to find:

"Config&uration" - works until KM-153 (skin as uploaded)
"C&onfiguration" - works in KM-154 or newer (replace word manually and save)

-----------------

Another little thing, in all KM versions so far:
There's still a litte KM bug which makes that, if rebarmenu-buttons are used (2-3 in this skin), the MAIN menu ("File" / "Edit" / etc.) can't be modified via menus.cfg in profiles.
Simple workaround: Copy your changes at the the end of defaults/settings/menus.cfg

-----------------

Tip: The uploaded skin contains a prepared button for screen captures, for the optional extension "Page Capture Plus". When I get around to updating that skin some day, that extension-button will be replaced with the new FastStone extension:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,100997

That new extension contains an option for a macro-created button in 3 sizes, but if you prefer to keep it as it is in this skin's toolbars.cfg, exchange those 3 lines with the next:

CapPlus{
macros(nirshot)|Capture Plus
Capture entire page as jpg, gif or png (optional extension 'Capture Plus'/Siteshoter). Right-click for more options.

Capture_FastStone{
macros(Capture_FastStone)|Capture FastStone Menu
Screenshot: Capture entire page or part of it (optional extension 'Capture FastStone'). Right-click for menu.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 06, 2010 12:57AM

siria
-----------------

Another little thing, in all KM versions so far:
There's still a litte KM bug which makes that, if rebarmenu-buttons are used (2-3 in this skin), the MAIN menu ("File" / "Edit" / etc.) can't be modified via menus.cfg in profiles.
Simple workaround: Copy your changes at the the end of defaults/settings/menus.cfg

-----------------
I noted this already some time ago and reported this Bug # 1147

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 15, 2010 12:28AM

Today was released K-Meleon 1.6 beta!
Skins from 1.5.x can be used too, but need a tiny update:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,112137

desga2
Note for skins/themes:
Skins/themes need to be updated for 1.6 due to use of new @SHistory menu functionality.
Changes on toolbars.cfg file in bold to show history back/forward context menu

In Classiria skin too, for use in K-Meleon 1.6 please edit the "toolbars.cfg" in the skin folders.
It also opens when clicking Edit > Configuration > Toolbars

Insert the bold blue text below, then you'll see again the tab history when right-clicking "back" or "forward" buttons:

Back{
	ID_NAV_BACK|History Back
	Go back one page. Right-click for list.
	mainbarhot.bmp[0]
	mainbarcold.bmp[0]
	mainbardead.bmp[0]
	}

Forward{
	ID_NAV_FORWARD|History Forward
	Go forward one page. Right-click for list.
	mainbarhot.bmp[1]
	mainbarcold.bmp[1]
	mainbardead.bmp[1]
	}

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.