General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
cookie management, javascript...
Posted by: nue
Date: October 15, 2009 09:47PM

Hello, first post. Looks like a pretty nifty browser to be sure but I'm still a relative noobie to all this. I'm still joined at the hip with FF and still dependent on its addons. Two things that I can't do without however are cookie management (cookie monster) and things which control scripts (noscripts). Browsing through the extensions page yields quite a few dead links or completely obsolete and there aren't any instructions other than the self compilation help page, which is a plethora of information that I can't even begin to comprehend.

So can anyone explain how to get these two extensions working in layman terms? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cookie management, javascript...
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 16, 2009 07:46AM

Noscript has been adapted for K-Meleon see on KMES 2.10 pages and have been then adapted under KMEXT.

Have a look to K-Meleon Extensions Forum

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2009 09:05AM

Sigh, the settings for cookies and scripts are really rather shattered, and not all crosslinked to each other, it's not easy!

Alain is right, and I suppose you didn't discover yet the two new and updated extensions (add-on) archives:
http://kmext.sf.net (almost complete, install either by KEM-Manager or simply unzip, but descriptions mostly very short) and
KMES http://extensions.geckozone.org/K-MeleonEn (only those extensions that come with french translation, still a LOT, very detailed descriptions and tips in EN+FR, but guess needs special KMES-installer)

And a couple more extensions to be found here in the forum, in the subforum for extensions http://kmeleon.sf.net/forum/list.php?9

For javascript and cookies there are a few to choose from, e.g. the "Policies Manager" add-on, a bit like the security zones in IE, for setting group permissions for javascript and cookies...
And a couple cookies add-ons...

---------

If you like, to search those two archives with google, you may add them to the search-button, in Edit/Preferences (F2)/Finding Websites, fourth and second tab smiling smiley

K-Meleon Extensions Sourceforge (Google search)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:http://kmext.sourceforge.net/%20

K-Meleon Extensions Geckozone (Google search)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:http://extensions.geckozone.org/%20k-meleon%20

------

But K-Meleon also has a bunch of build-in settings available, e.g.

- Do you know you can switch on the privacy bar? (View/Toolbars) Buttons to toggle cookies, javascript, java etc. And it contains more buttons than visible, to switch those on click Edit/Browser Config./Toolbars, or simply open the toolbars.cfg in the skin folder. Remove the crosses # at the beginning of hidden buttons, or add # to hide others.

- Javascript detailed settings are in Edit/Preferences(F2)/Javascript, or same by Tools/Privacy/Permissions/Javascript. Hmm, I thought there was more somewhere...

- Cookie settings in F2/Privacy & Security (with exceptions and viewer if Plugin JSBridge-XUL enabled)
- Cookie exceptions also in Tools/Privacy/Permissions/Cookies
- Cookie viewer also in Tools/Privacy/View Data/View Cookies

- One can always type "about:config" in the address bar, then type anything like "javascript" in the search line to get all those settings together and sometimes more...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 09:18AM by siria.

Date: October 16, 2009 09:48AM

Oh man, I didn't see that kem link at all. Thanks for the reply. I'm getting right to work on getting this bugger to work now. Thanks again!

Some things... So, I managed to get cookie culler from [kmext.sf.net] (yay) but how do I set it as an icon for ease of usage? The links to get more pictures(macros?) are dead so does that mean I have to compile it from scratch? Also, what's "KMES 2.10"? EDIT: (NM FOUND IT) Another thing that cropped up as I attempted to get NoScript from [extensions.geckozone.org]; I used the translation feature (great inclusion btw) but now for every link I click, it will not let me proceed further without translating said link. Also, after compiling NoScript, does this mean I have to create another icon for it as well? And is there anyway to keep up with the updates as well? Sorry for these relatively noobish questions but I'd love to make this work. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 10:21AM by nue.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 16, 2009 12:15PM

I use cookie monster with KM. It works just fine.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2009 02:02PM

Which pictures do you mean with "dead"? (okay, am too lazy to search myself tongue sticking out smiley)

To get back from a translation I usually go into the adress line and delete manually the beginning part, with the google-stuff. Yeah, could be easier, and there's a little macro somewhere to strip such stuff automatically from links, just where exactly... ;-) On the other hand, your english seems perfect, so you didn't happen to translate a french page on geckozone, or did you...? Because Alain has posted them all in both languages, there's a country flag next to the title smiling smiley

Sorry about the missing buttons, but am afraid, no luck here...
The KM-extensions usually only come with a menu entry (in Tools or some context-menu etc.) Only a few bring their own buttons, but then, in K-Meleon, for every "automatic" button of this sort an own toolbar is created, what I don't like either. Gets a little cluttered after awhile in the toolbars-menu ;-)

Anyway, never mind, ADDING OWN BUTTONS is rather easy, if you know how eye rolling smiley, and if you're not completely computer-phobish grinning smiley
You need to have an icon first, either borrowed somewhere or self-painted. Then open your skin folder, copy e.g. the zoomcold.bmp and rename the copy to anything, e.g. "extrabuttons". Open it with MS Paint (or any other pic proggie, but this is really the easiest), then copy/paste your icon into it. The background must remain that color to appear transparent in KM! And the size is important, usually 16x16 or 24x24px for each icon.
Next step, edit your toolbar.cfg, in the same folder, but first make a backup copy of it (or better yet of the whole skin folder, or even better the whole KM-and profile folder, LOL! eye rolling smiley).
Okay, your choice now where you want to add that button, either somewhere among the buttons of an existing toolbar in this cfg, or create an own one for it. If it's among some others, just copy one of the neighbor buttons and choose a new name and new popup-text for it, and for the pic choose your newly created one. The first pic in a bmp has the number 0, the second is 1, etc.
The only thing that's really tricky is to figure out the "command" from the macro! Open its kmm-file in the macro folder and search for the lines starting with "setmenu", then post them here... eye rolling smiley

Yes, button handling is quite a bit more complicated than in Firefox, but the upside is, it's completely customizable in KM ;-)

Btw, you could also just "abuse" one of the already existing buttons and put the new command on it ;-) In this case perhaps on the "block cookies" or "delete cookies"-button, if you don't need those. Then all you have to do is open the toolbars.cfg and exchange the command on that button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 02:33PM by siria.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 16, 2009 04:04PM

nue
Oh man, I didn't see that kem link at all. Thanks for the reply. I'm getting right to work on getting this bugger to work now. Thanks again!

Some things... So, I managed to get cookie culler from [kmext.sf.net] (yay) but how do I set it as an icon for ease of usage? The links to get more pictures(macros?) are dead so does that mean I have to compile it from scratch? Also, what's "KMES 2.10"? EDIT: (NM FOUND IT) Another thing that cropped up as I attempted to get NoScript from [extensions.geckozone.org]; I used the translation feature (great inclusion btw) but now for every link I click, it will not let me proceed further without translating said link. Also, after compiling NoScript, does this mean I have to create another icon for it as well? And is there anyway to keep up with the updates as well? Sorry for these relatively noobish questions but I'd love to make this work. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Nue,

I put Cookie Culler on a hotkey (alt c - thanks JamesD) which works for me. Don't know how to put it on an icon though.

N

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 16, 2009 05:06PM

nue
Also, what's "KMES 2.10"?

K-Meleon Extension Setup 2.10, link in my signature

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 16, 2009 06:57PM

JamesD

Not sure if Nue meant the firefox addon or this one

Date: October 16, 2009 09:22PM

jsnj
JamesD

Not sure if Nue meant the firefox addon or this one

Well... It's the one for Firefox where it merely allows for easier access and handling of cookies, which is the icon I am referring to for K-Meleon. Looking through the tutorials yet again however, yields no information on how to get it mimicking its Firefox counterpart.

Also, how is one supposed to install NoScript? I've downloaded it, run the installer (which only unzipped it), yet I'm still at a loss as to how to get it to work. I've also tried replacing all the files it generates into K-Meleon. Hmm...

Posted by: Zockervogel
Date: December 19, 2009 08:15PM

How i can make changes an save it ?
How i get NoScript to work ?

Zockervogel

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 20, 2009 10:55AM

noscript is not listed on kmext.sf.net because it conflicts with policy manager and hence it is not a recommended extension (i wouldn't even use noscript on ff). extensions that have malicious code or conflict with other extensions(noscript conflicts with both policy manager and adblockplus) are not supported by kmext.

noscript is a bullshit extension written by a hacker called maone..noscript is coded to help mr. maone make money by sending your info to advertising companies http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1357

if you want to use a script control extension with kmeleon then use policy manager which is better integrated with kmeleon and even with firefox

policymanager can be downloaded from:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm
there are 2 cookies related extensions on that same page ..(cookies culler and another one) they work pretty much like cookie monster and in some ways better

to install policy manager, simply extract the 7z extension in the kmeleon root folder or use the extension manager
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/help.htm

have fun with kmeleon and i;m sure we will all do our best to help remove that parasite that got attached to your hip grinning smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 20, 2009 02:35PM

Zockervogel
How i can make changes an save it ?

How i get NoScript to work ?

das, was der vor dir verlangte, falls du das meinst, geht nicht - Ikonen auf/von ner XUl GUI einszueins nach K-Meleon zu übertragen, ist als technisch unmöglich bekannt. K-Meleon hat keine XUL GUI. Er kann nur in sich vollständige XUL Anwendungen mit deren eigener GUI nutzen.

Bei alain von der französisch/englischen Seite runter laden, installieren und keine anderen es funktional ausschliessenden Erweiterungen installieren.

Wie gesagt, es gibt eine bessere Alternative von disrupted.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.