General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Guide: How to Enable Flash!
Posted by: kamil
Date: September 29, 2001 03:26PM

I have found that many people would really love to use k-meleon as their primary browser, but can't because they thought it doesn't support flash...
Well it does, and setting it up is quite simple!

Firstly head over to macromedia's download site at the following link:
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Win32&P3_Browser_Version=NetscapePre4

Then download the flash player 5 plug-in for netscape.

When installing the plug-in, make sure you install it to the "plugins" folder under your primary k-meleon installation directory (most likely C:\program files\k-meleon\plugins)

Note: It may or may not work if you install it in the "kplugins" directory, so make sure you install it in the "plugins" directory.
After the installation is complete, you should see an error message if you do not have netscape enabled, or if you do, then the netscape browser should load (feel free to close it, its just a bug in macromedia's installation)

Once this is done, load up k-meleon and head over to www.macromedia.com and check out the awesome power of flash in the greatest windows browser ever!

I hope this helped someone out there :-)

Regards,

kamil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide: How to Enable Flash!
Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 29, 2001 03:39PM

Kamil,

Thanks for checking that in. We do have a how-to for Flash but it still needs to be moved into our documentation. You got all the main points covered. You were right about the plugins directory. The "kplugins" directory is intended for K-Meleon's own plugins. The plugins for Flash, etc. go into the "plugins" directory.

Andrew

Date: September 29, 2001 05:17PM

Kamil,

Check out this:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/flash.php

and let me know if I need to make any changes/additions.

Andrew

Posted by: kamil
Date: September 29, 2001 06:10PM

perfect!
Thanks Andrew!

Date: September 29, 2001 06:34PM

Kamil,

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to shoot any more doc stuff my way. I'm always looking for help!

Andrew

Posted by: rob
Date: September 30, 2001 02:39PM

Hi,

if you have installed netscape 4 with its Flash plugin, Mozilla and K-meleon have both recognized it automatically and use npswf32.dll from netscape's location. So no need to copy it into K-Meleon's "plugins" directory.

As a suggestion, why isn't npswf32.dll included in K-Meleon's installation package to make things as easy as possible?

rob.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: September 30, 2001 07:40PM

The flash plugin isn't bundled with kmeleon for 2 reasons:

1) Flash is not a WC3 standard. It's a 3rd party browser enhancement, and really ought to stay that way. It's not a standard, it's not essential to standards-compliance, and it's added bloat. If some users feel that their browsing is better off with flash installed, then we want to make it as easy as possible for them to do so.

2) I'm sure there would be all sorts of entanglements with Macromedia if we bundled their plugin. Basically, while they would be happy that everyone likes their stuff enough to consider it a "necessity", they also want to make sure that it doesn't have any potential to give them a negative image. For example, if k-meleon had a bug that caused shockwave to crash 5 seconds in to every flash-enabled page, some users may link this to a flaw in macromedia's project, and that would not make them (macromedia) very happy with us. The major browsers devote a lot of cooperative development time with 3rd parties shipping bundled plugins, to make sure that the plugin will run to the expectations of both parties. I don't have the time or the interest to do this, and I doubt most plugin companies would consider us important enough to devote time to the project.

-- Jeff

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.