General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
cant enable SSL
Posted by: ahzvx
Date: July 06, 2009 01:11AM

hi there,
i was looking for some web browser with low system requirements for my beautiful old beast and k-meleon seems to be exactly the thing i need. but, after browsing in k-meleon for a while, i tried to acess my webmail, but i just got a error message saying that i have SSL turned off. so i turned it on in preferences, but when i reloaded the page, i just got the same message. and when looked back in preferences, the boxes were again unchecked. so i enabled it again, but it was all the same, error message and the page didnt load. could you please help me how do i turn it on?
i hope its just my stupidity and lack of knowledge, because otherwise k meleon is really cool browser and im getting impressive results with it on a computer, on which would starting firefox take 5 minutes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cant enable SSL
Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 06, 2009 01:23AM

this is caused by one of 2 reasons:

1- you don't have writing privileges on that machine and kmeleon can't save settings to prefs.js. make sure you're logged as user with administrative writes

2- you're using the kmeleon symbiotic loader (loader.exe). for settings to be changed, you will need to terminate the loader, exit kmeleon and restart the loader again. you can terminate the loader form the tray icon.(green lizard). you can also use an extension called super restart which enables exiting and restarting kmeleon when the loader is running so your changes take effect by automatically closing and restarting the loader.

km restart super is filed under enhancements:
http://kmext.sf.net

Date: July 06, 2009 03:23PM

i have windows 98 on this with one user only and i checked file attributes and they are ok, so i guess administrator rights arent the cause
i tried super restart, but with same result. error message, ssl support stays off. it also gives me another message, that browsers security component cannot be initialized.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 06, 2009 05:23PM

Try making a backup of the prefs.js file of your profile and then delete to let K-meleon re-create it and see what happens.

Date: July 06, 2009 08:20PM

nope, it didnt help. i even tried reinstalling k-meleon and older version (1.5.0), but still ssl doesnt work

Date: July 06, 2009 08:56PM

Read it before doing something and then try what necessary. (I didn't search for it before.)

I suggest start from the deletion of cert file:

http://support.mozilla.com/kb/could+not+initialize+the+browser+security+component

Date: July 07, 2009 12:28PM

solved! i was the first case, i didnt have ie installed. even though the ie 6 i installed doesnt work, k-meleon works just fine smiling smiley
thanks johnhell, i didnt think about how closerelated firefox and k-meleon are and that i should look even in firefox help.
btw if anyone knew what dlls and stuff from ie package i need to run k-meleon on windows 98 correctly, it would be great. because having whole ie installed takes a lot of useable space on disk (i have only 2gb disk) and it simply sucks to have installed program that you dont need and will never use.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 07, 2009 01:31PM

"K-Meleon works fine" = all needed updates and dll are on Your system.

Verbose: No IE parts but sometimes a runtime update.
K-Meleon uses MFC components. It is no IE shell = no parts of IE.
But MS often shipped other dll updates with IE.

FAQs (old: I read them 2001): http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#requirements

Users of Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 may have to install Vcredist.exe to get the latest run-time components for Visual C++ applications.

Users of Windows 95 may also have to install shlwapi.dll (part of Internet Explorer).

K-Meleon uses elements/functions from common controls and common dialogs.
Most Win 98 should have updates these 2 dll already, Yours has them!

There is a K-Meleon.exe for 9.x. During K-Meleon install Your OS was automatically detected and the right exe installed. The official installer ships the needed VC7.1 runtimes and automatically installs them.

So Faq above needs little update.
IMHO it refers to 2 VC6 runtimes grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 01:47PM by guenter.

Date: July 14, 2009 09:27PM

yeah i understand i dont need IE as a program, only the dll updates included in IE6 package, but its surely not just about VC redistributables. because i completely erased IE with everything else from the package, deleted kmeleon, installed older redistributables (VC 6) and then i let the kmeleon installer to update them to VC7. And, as it was on the begining, ssl doesnt work. So what other libraries should i install to make it work? I know, it works with IE6 package installed and want to know why. And i also dont want to have megabytes of IE crap on my hardisk, thats all smiling smiley

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 15, 2009 07:24AM

In K-Melein only SSL3 is enabled by default and SSL2 is disable by default.
Look in Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration (about:config)
Filter by: security.ssl

Also read more about ssl in this thread.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 15, 2009 03:14PM

well, its not about enabling anything i believe. because when i have ie 6 it works, when i erase it does not work. (and as i said before i get this message that browser cannot initialize its security module).
so i am quite sure, that only thing i have to do to make it work without ie 6 is to find out what dlls from ie package do i miss and install them.

Date: July 15, 2009 03:23PM

and one thing i didnt mention. i have my windows brutally reduced and cleaned up by 98lite, so its possible that the dll i am looking for is included in normal installation of windows 98, but i am sure its also part of ie 6 package (previous message)

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 15, 2009 05:36PM

Yea, you can't kill to a Win OS without stain you of blood. grinning smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 15, 2009 08:15PM

desga2
Yea, you can't kill to a Win OS without stain you of blood. grinning smiley
grinning smiley this always happens with ms products.. even like office

ahzvx, i'm not sure if your missing library is a windows system related or ie related because i have windows 98se where i also run kmeleon without problems, i've never installed ie 6 on it and kmeleon never had problems accessing secure sitea... however it does have ie 5 so if you really don't want ie6 bloat on 98 which i don't blaame you there especially when you won't be using ie as default; then try installing ie5..just basic ie5 components are not much bigger than ie4

http://www-pc.uni-regensburg.de/systemsw/IE55/ie5.htm
http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/win32

Date: July 15, 2009 11:35PM

ahzvx
and one thing i didnt mention. i have my windows brutally reduced and cleaned up by 98lite, so its possible that the dll i am looking for is included in normal installation of windows 98, but i am sure its also part of ie 6 package (previous message)
One thing rounded my head about, it's that maybe you removed the high encryption for IE.

But as you don't have IE installed, I don't believe that it would work, but just give a try to it. The High Encryption Pack was developed to upgrade IE versions previous to 5.0 and add encryption level to 128-bits to internet connections. (I used when I had NT 4.0).

In the other hand, I don't believe that Gecko, the browser engine, needs these package (or dlls) to work, anyway, you don't loose anything trying:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/128bit/default.mspx

Probably you should download the IE4, or all, testing one by one until one installation works or recognize to update your system, as you don't have IE installed.

Date: July 16, 2009 01:48AM

i did a bit of search and this guy seems to know:

Before you do the actual install, here is a checklist to make sure you have your PC ready for K-Meleon:

1. If your PC has Windows 95, you may have to update some of the DLL files in "c:\windows\system\" folder. The K-Meleon read-me file tells you how to do this, but I can tell you the precise files that I used (I have an old Win95 system for testing purposes). I copied these files across from my Win98 system: MFC42.DLL (973K, 8June00), COMCTL32.DLL (557K, 20Oct00) and COMMCTL.DLL (152K, 19Jun01). I can't guarantee that anything else is needed, but this seemed to do the trick.
Also, you can install IE5, then uninstall it, to leave behind the updated DLLs -- see my "Project PC" page for instructions on how to do this -- I've also put some notes on this further down this page.

http://www.goosee.com/best/index.html

Date: July 19, 2009 06:40PM

finally, it is working and without IE. its a victory with casualities in this battle with microsoft, but i am quite satisfied with the result, because my system has now around 100mb (included direct x etc.), which is not bad and i am just to lazy to continue finding better solution.
heres how i did it:
i read the article disrupted had posted (btw thanks a lot) and i checked whether i had correct versions of those dlls that guy was talking about. They were correct, so i tried the second method - i installed just the basic ie 5.0 and then deleted it with ieradicator. I thought it couldnt work, because its made by lite pc as 98lite, but i was wrong. it left all the dlls k meleon needs. it also left some more ie crap, i definitely dont need, but i dont care that much as long as it doesnt take much disk space and the application is deleted. well, except for the annoying task scheduler. it really pissed me off, i had to delete it manualy, but it was simple (you can google it) and it was the only extra thing i had to do.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.