Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Kmeleon 1.5.3 Always Nothing But Problems
Posted by: caktus
Date: June 13, 2009 02:30AM

Paul
foobarly
fire at will...
And it seems to me that KM is more a hobby that some very good people do in their spare time.

Exactly how many browser forums have users who will take the time and trouble to design macro's/plugins etc, just to help an individuals request.smiling smiley[/quote]

Not many I think. One can always seek help in the FF forums. That is it the FF forum members don't run you off first with their incessant whining.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 13, 2009 04:23AM

caktus
One can always seek help in the FF forums. That is it the FF forum members don't run you off first with their incessant whining.

Caktus,

I find the FF moderators to be the irritant in the mix with their incessant attaboy cheering for FF3. If you disagree? Off with your head!

N

Date: June 13, 2009 04:26AM

DasFox,

I couldn't agree with you more about caring that future KM's have a small footprint, but I have to disagree with you about KM 1.5.3 crashes and problems with multiple tabs being open. I have a Thinkpad T40 with 768Megs Ram, running XP PRO SP2. I have not seen any problems with multiple tabs being open and wonder why you are seeing this particular problem when I'm not seeing it.

N

Posted by: reeko124
Date: June 13, 2009 05:04AM

ndebord
DasFox,

I couldn't agree with you more about caring that future KM's have a small footprint, but I have to disagree with you about KM 1.5.3 crashes and problems with multiple tabs being open. I have a Thinkpad T40 with 768Megs Ram, running XP PRO SP2. I have not seen any problems with multiple tabs being open and wonder why you are seeing this particular problem when I'm not seeing it.

I had that problem before. It was with alot of tabs and mean a alot of tabs. Then it would just crash. I hardly ever go above 5 tabs so it isn't a problem.

Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: June 13, 2009 06:45AM

I've written about this but the problem still occurs... K-Meleon randomly crashes on exit (0xc0000005 memory access violation in ntdll.dll). The problem became in XP SP3 with 1.5.2 and now it still occurs in W7 RC and 1.5.3. I thought it can be a new adblockplus 1.x (AFAIR problems became short after upgrading it), but there are people who have no problems with it, I thought it can be a dirty profile, but when I've reinstalled windows I've created a new profile, I thought it can be RAM problem, but memory diagnostic tool built in W7 had shown no errors and also I don't have such problems with any other software (if it is a hardware problem this errors should occur everywhere). The other problem about that problem — I've been unable to find conditions for this error to occur. Sometimes I visit few sites before closing and it occurs, sometimes I work for hours and it closes normally. I also can't see any correlation between using plugins (flash, javascript, java) and problem occuring. It's quite annoying to periodically click on "close app" button when error occurs and then answer the K-Meleon's question about incorrect exit.

Also sometimes I've got a stackhash failure when trying to view detached elements in adblockplus, but it's gone for now (and I hope forever).

W7 RC (7100)
K-Meleon 1.5.3
AdBlockPlus 1.0.2
JRE 6 update 14
Flash plugin 10.0.22.87
Shockwave for Director 11.5
Silverlight 2.0.31005.0
Adobe Acrobat 9.1.0

Additional macros installed:
BBcode.kmm (BB codes for selected text and Smiles)
googlecache.kmm (view Google cache for the page)
imagetab.kmm (view image in new tab instead of new window)

Posted by: kko
Date: June 13, 2009 09:21AM

DasFox
I'm not here to bash KM, everyone knows there is no such thing as perfect software, but the small things I'm encountering should be fixed. Software shouldn't lag and lock up, that's all there is to it, bugs or no bugs, this isn't the way stable final version software should work, plain and simple.

It isn't as plain and simple. K-Meleon, as a software, isn't running in vacuum. You have other software running on your system that can cause problems. Even the web sites that you are viewing are software themselves and can cause problems. Bug or no bug, that is indeed the question! We can fix bugs in K-Meleon only, not elsewhere!

DasFox
The thing we're missing here is that KM is suppose to be small and lightweight with a small foot print and a browser of these attributes shouldn't be lagging and locking up, even on old systems.

What you are missing here is that the real life foot print of a browser is highly dependent on your individual browsing habits. Not only the browser itself but also the web sites/services that you are using demand system resources!

DasFox
A browser as small as KM should run on a P3 with 256MB Ram on XP and this is where the development should be happening on systems this old and slow with a few applications running to pinpoint down why KM under these circumstances locks and lags.

Personally with my level of experience it always seems to happen in relation to java or flash sites, running java apps or flash apps that affect KM and cause the lag or lock ups, this is where I tend to see most of the problems, but also on occassion it just happens on any old site that isn't really java or flahs intensive.

When you already know that your performance problems are caused by Java applets and Flash objects, why do you blame K-Meleon then? I ran K-Meleon on a P3 with 256 MB RAM myself, until it perished last year. I had Java disabled and Flashblock enabled and never experienced any performance problems...

There's nothing to say against using old hardware, but you have to make compromises then. You cannot expect that a lame duck like a P3 is playing all websites with all bells and whistles like a modern computer.

In addition to that it should be clear that the K-Meleon developers are neither responsible for third party plugins nor for the contents that these plugins are playing.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: June 13, 2009 11:52AM

kko
I ran K-Meleon on a P3 with 256 MB RAM myself, until it perished last year. I had Java disabled and Flashblock enabled and never experienced any performance problems...

No performance problems here with a 500MHz-CPU and 184MB-RAM.
Java is not installed while Flash objects are blocked.
Besides, JavaSript is disabled and gets enabled only seldom when absolute necessary.
As a rule I have rarely more than 3 tabs open, most time just one.
Performance differences during surfing are barely noticeable in comparison with a Dual-Core.

Date: June 13, 2009 03:09PM

Ditto here too...

Except for the ocasional stalling i have never had a problem..

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 13, 2009 04:21PM

Caktus,

I find the FF moderators to be the irritant in the mix with their incessant attaboy cheering for FF3. If you disagree? Off with your head!
[/quote]

Actually, that was more or less my point.tongue sticking out smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: June 13, 2009 05:43PM

reeko124

I had that problem before. It was with alot of tabs and mean a alot of tabs. Then it would just crash. I hardly ever go above 5 tabs so it isn't a problem.

reeko124,

right now I've got 14 tabs open and no problems. <shrug>

N

Date: June 13, 2009 05:44PM

caktus

Caktus,

Actually, that was more or less my point.tongue sticking out smiley[/quote]

Yup... oh, master of the understatement!

N

Posted by: foobarly
Date: June 15, 2009 03:53PM

Didn't reply earlier 'cause I've been away. So sorry...

As if to provide me with another reason, this very morning, after a power failure, I lost all my carefully engineered KM-SM2W3 settings. Now, I can't even enter search engines URLs in the proper dialog... so it's back to square one, new install coming up.

I may be a long time user of KM, but I'm no programer (is this the Gecko for geeks?). I work long hours in front of a computer, and then I go home and manage... 5 computers on a domestic network. Even if I wanted to, I can't spend hours tweaking a browser endlessly. I expect that, once I do something, it is done for good; and easily reproducible, too. And it looks like I ain't the only one who thinks this way -- check some of the posts in this thread.

Forgive me for being high maintenance, but the only other piece of software that I (am forced to) endure that is as touchy and convoluted as KM is right now is the OS itself -- and just because Microsoft has made a living out of torturing its users, I don't think KM should follow suit. Besides, you have to climb the steep Linux learning curve (which BTW I'm trying) to escape M$, but luckily there's no such barrier to switching browsers.

I intend to keep using KM because it still is the best choice for legacy hardware and for extended tweaking but, as always, I'll keep my options open. As for lack of contributions, as someone has pointed, here's one, a deeply personal review of my relationship to a significant piece of software that has accompanied me through the years. But it isn't the only one, as I am sure you can verify by searching this very forum.

For all the criticism vested upon Mozilla forums, sometimes I wonder if this here forum isn't succombing to the same fanboy attitude -- I'm geting too old for beauty pageants.

One last word of thanks for the good humour with which my rant was met (especially to disrupted, who made me LOL); I'd rather have jokes than stand half baked atempts to cover the sun with a sieve...

--- sig ---

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 03:59PM by foobarly.

Posted by: panzer
Date: June 15, 2009 04:00PM

Why don't you have a copy of Km somewhere on your comp?
I use a different concept altogether. I have two versions of Km on my USB. I only implement changes in one of them and if everything is OK, then I delete this one over the second browser.
And I have a copy on my comp if both of them go bananas/bonkers.

Date: June 15, 2009 04:11PM

panzer
Why don't you have a copy of Km somewhere on your comp?
I use a different concept altogether. I have two versions of Km on my USB. I only implement changes in one of them and if everything is OK, then I delete this one over the second browser.
And I have a copy on my comp if both of them go bananas/bonkers.

I think I ought to do that, thanks for the tip. It just isn't engrained yet...

(Well, I do have multiple copies, like the one I'm using right now, they're just not kept in synch)

--- sig ---

Date: June 15, 2009 04:46PM

foobarly,

FWIW, I keep an updated zipfile of KM on my hard drive and from time to time, I burn it to a CDR (just in case paranoia). It's not that I don't trust some of the macros that backup the profile, it's just that I have a customized menu and several addons and it just makes me less nervous to do it this way, as I now have absolutely everything in one zipfile.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 04:47PM by ndebord.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 16, 2009 07:31PM

disrupted
holy cow!

After You click away pete's stupid advert click @ the horses.

Posted by: Very Confused
Date: July 01, 2009 08:39AM

Sorry, but I first published this in the wrong forum.
Hello to all. I have been following this problem on this thread
and on this thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,93092
I have the frequent freezing problem on K-Meleon, KMLite, K-Ninja
and Firefox. I do not have the problem with XP service pack 1.
With service pack 2 and 3 the problem is awful.
But I cannot use sp1 as many of my softwares will not work
with it. Also I have tried several versions back before the
current K-Meleon. They all do this. Also I have tried several
regular and portable versions so I know nothing is corrupted.
I have the problem without even messing with the Favorites.
And I have even deleted all the Favorites. This helped nothing.
Also I do not run anything else when I run K-Meleon.
Anyway this is a very large computer as far as processor speed
and memory goes. But when the freeze occurs the memory usage
skyrockets.
Any ideas sad smiley

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 01, 2009 10:06AM

Funny. For me 1.52 was not working well. 1.53 is working fine.

Date: July 01, 2009 03:18PM

Very Confused
Sorry, but I first published this in the wrong forum.
Hello to all. I have been following this problem on this thread
and on this thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,93092
I have the frequent freezing problem on K-Meleon, KMLite, K-Ninja
and Firefox. I do not have the problem with XP service pack 1.
With service pack 2 and 3 the problem is awful.
But I cannot use sp1 as many of my softwares will not work
with it. Also I have tried several versions back before the
current K-Meleon. They all do this. Also I have tried several
regular and portable versions so I know nothing is corrupted.
I have the problem without even messing with the Favorites.
And I have even deleted all the Favorites. This helped nothing.
Also I do not run anything else when I run K-Meleon.
Anyway this is a very large computer as far as processor speed
and memory goes. But when the freeze occurs the memory usage
skyrockets.
Any ideas sad smiley

No ideas except to say that I've not experienced these kinds of problems with my XP PRO SP2 install. Corrupt SP3 install perhaps? I don't believe that it is a Gecko problem (KM uses SM, not FF version). And you're having trouble with both FF and KM.

N

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 01, 2009 11:19PM

I have not experienced any major problems with K-meleon 1.5.3 AND I am using WinXP Home Edition with SP3. no crashes so far with KM 1.5.3 either (plus I have IE8, SM 1.1.17, Netscape 9, Opera 9.64, Safari 3.23 and FF 3.0.11 browsers installed and those browsers worked well). corrupted KM user profile? messed up plugins or addons for KM, perhaps?

maybe Mr. Very Confused should install XP from scratch (meaning reformat the hard drive and install a clean slipstreamed version of WinXP with SP3) and install KM 1.5.3 to see if his problems go away for good. DasFox should do the same, wipe out the HD, reinstall XP or whatever OS he uses then reinstall KM & FF.

later folks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 11:23PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: MSlayer
Date: July 02, 2009 02:51AM

I have no problems with KM.1.5.3, and my computer is OLD. I'm using Win98se currently grinning smiley I have JS enabled.
Everything runs fine, except for those bad designed web pages that are mainly composed by Flash the memory-eater.
I also have Opera.

Date: July 02, 2009 04:19AM

Huh.

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, 1007MHz
Total Memory 512MB

...and very few problems. Of course I have Flash and Java off by default. When I get over ten tabs, I start to look for something to close. I learned how to budget resources on my first 486, and I spit on bloated websites.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Date: July 02, 2009 02:31PM

Excelent clean fun, this thread... LOL! grinning smiley

--- sig ---

Posted by: DasFox
Date: July 04, 2009 05:39AM

Well it's still acting up... KM does have issues the developers need to stop blaming it on Java and Flash because other browsers work just fine and don't have this issue...

Simple truth is KM doesn't work very smooth with Flash and Java...

Posted by: MrWoo
Date: July 05, 2009 07:56AM

There are most certainly small issues in 151,152 and 153. The key typing slowly issue that has been mentioned has been present for me anyway in the last 3 versions. I do not think it is flash/java specific. It is also not repeatable for me. I run KM on pIII 700's with 512mb ram, athlon 2400xps, athlon 2500 bartons, a64 fx 55, p4 2g, p4 1.7g, p4 1.8g, pp4 2.2g all these with 1-2gb ram. Core2Duo's and now I7's. Does it in Sandboxie, in vmWare and real OS. Can do it with one tab only, or multiple tabs open. This is all on xp sp2/3 machines, each with services and processes trimmed down to only absolute needed are running. Tweaked systems that run Opera and FF with no problems. KM usually runs with no problems, except occasionally the very slow typing issue. KM normally rebounds from this, but there are times when only a reboot cures the issue.

I have never been able to pinpoint the issue. I only know it has happened across many machines, so I do not believe it to be performance dependent. Having many programs running at same time also does not seem a culprit. I can start KM, with only one tab open, from a fresh boot first thing in the morning. Occassionaly it even does it then. Most of the time, it comes somewhere after the computer/browser has been open 4+ hours.

It can be annoying, but I don't notice it to be much more than a temporary problem that usually cures itself after a few minutes. So is it KM or the hardware/OS environment? I cannot say. But the issue does exist.

MrWoo.

Posted by: MSlayer
Date: July 05, 2009 08:49PM

Can it be a Proxy configuration, HTTP version, or pipeline settings perhaps?

BTW: JAVA and javaScript are two different things. I don't use JAVA, but js is needed in some web-sites, I leave js on. I have FLASH blocked by default on every browser.

Posted by: MrWoo
Date: July 06, 2009 05:43AM

I don't know what it is. I try out different settings. That is the part of KM I like the best, the tweaking and macro bit. I have some machines that use Proxomitron, others that don't. I guess I don't sweat it too much overall, but I can verify the problem exists. I suppose I would rather use KM over the others. Opera is really tempting as well, but I enjoy 'messing' with KM more than just using Opera. I have all browsers (IE,FF,Chrome,KM,Opera) installed, and at times open each for testing or specific needs. Nothing beats the simplicity and overall great standardized rendering of KM in my book, so I overlook the small issue. I can understand though if it always required a reboot how frustrating it would become.

MrWoo.

Posted by: DasFox
Date: July 06, 2009 08:55PM

The only place recently I've seen a Java problem is on Facebook, trying to upload pictures their Java uploader app. It causes KM to lag real bad and I've not seen this problem on other browsers.

Also as I've mentioned before with flash intensive sites and I minimize the browser to the taskbar, sometimes you can get it to come back from the taskbar, it just locks into the taskbar and won't come back or lags really bad before it finally pops backup and then the response on the website is then at that point laging really bad and the browser won't respond to any commands, when you try to click something either on a website or try as an example open another tab, nothing happens, the browser just hangs and then after a given period of time comes back to life.

I'd REALLY LOVE to hear from the DEV Team as to what the problem is and when this issue might be resolved.

My Specs:

XP Pro SP3
P4 2.2GHZ
512MB Ram

THANKS again.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.