General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Kmeleon on Apple...
Posted by: finger_fruit
Date: February 16, 2009 06:01PM

I only have used Windows for a large amount of time when I was in the army five years ago, with an old PC with W2000 installed as hell. For the last two years I have used a eMac with Mac OS 10.2, with none problem at all, my computer has been on every day 24 hours a day acting as server with no hangs, or whatever Bill Gates dreamt in his home. I have found K-Meleon a very interesting product according their speed and variations, but I have seen no version for Apple Mac OS systems. I don't know the required computing effort to complaint Unix compatibilities with windows drivers and libraries to make this sofware executable in Mac OS systems, but in these days computing boys are in worlwide forums to comment issues like this. Internet Explorer for Mac is a constantly headache, a big bastard software to torture your machine and making hangs every time without peaceful idea on mind. Safari is shit. Sorry, I'm a Mac user, but yes, Safari is not the good thing one could wait from Apple. Now I'm using now Netscape 7.0.2 and it becomes some efficient but not so efficient as K-Meleon seems to be. Where will be avaliable a K-Meleon for Mac users? Anybody at home? Thank you, big K-Meleon lovers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kmeleon on Apple...
Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 16, 2009 06:13PM

@ finger_fruit

This is all I could find about KM on a Mac.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#platforms

Posted by: finger_fruit
Date: February 16, 2009 06:21PM

JamesD
@ finger_fruit

This is all I could find about KM on a Mac.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#platforms

Ok, thank you James, I have found Camino 1.66 for Mac.
I'll update my OS tonight and I'll install Camino.
Perhaps in 2031.
grinning smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 16, 2009 08:18PM

camino is very good

for an excellent safari alternative(webkit) try shiira:
http://shiira.jp/screenshot/en.php

for fun and testing, you can try running km through emulators like crossover, vmware fusion etc

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 16, 2009 11:28PM

If wine exist for Your OS You can run K-Meleon. A not to recent post claims You can.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 17, 2009 07:48AM

Wine doesn't exist for PowerPC ... and it's for Linux, not MacOS

I have installed Epiphany under Debian Etch with xfce server, because of the possibilities of the machine (an iMac G3) I can't use gnome. I'm going to try xubuntu.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 17, 2009 11:44AM

JujuLand
Wine doesn't exist for PowerPC ... and it's for Linux, not MacOS

I have installed Epiphany under Debian Etch with xfce server, because of the possibilities of the machine (an iMac G3) I can't use gnome. I'm going to try xubuntu.

A+

1smiling smiley ? Is Mc OS X = finger_fruit's eMac with Mac OS 10.2?

I do not know anything about Mac OSes.

2.) Epiphany sounds light. Is it still Gecko based?

@ finger_fruit You can do a custum Netscape 7.0.2 (better use Mozilla 1.7.13) browser only instal(no messenger, editor...). And further try to remove some chrome (e.g. from commm.jar the file folders for messenger)so that only the browser surface remains).

The picture shows the needed jars and what folders are needed inside language en-US.jar which has a few more deleted subfolders than comm.jar, deleted folders = identical, classic.jar only hkeeps communicator, navigator and global subfolders.

You can do similar to SeaMonkey. My example is a SeaMonkey from that time (It might harder to do with versions, that do no have browser only install, because You have many unneeded files). If You have Profile inside install folder and remove big splash screen with resource hacker it is more snappy than a Firefox with the same GRE.

p.s. jars are zipped files. 7zip lets You do the deleting inside the jar smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 12:09PM by guenter.

Attachments: _01.jpg (14.8 KB)  
Date: February 17, 2009 05:48PM

There are always the two engines for Epiphany : gecko and Webkit.

I have kept gecko engine.

I'm needing time, and I haven't enough time to do all I want, so I haven't the time to cut in Netscape or Seamonkey chrome:cool:

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 05:49PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: playdayz
Date: February 17, 2009 08:24PM

I run K-Meleon on my "hackintosh. using Crossover Mac. It's Leopard 10.5.5 running Crossover Mac 7.1.0 and KM 1.5.2. Crossover Mac is a version of wine optimized for Macintosh OSX (which is Unix underneath it all, so wine was easy to port). You can download a trial version of Crossover Mac from codeweavers.com. KM doesn't run well enough to use routinely however on my machine, which has an Atom 1.6 270 and 2GB ram, but it does run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 08:25PM by playdayz.

Date: February 17, 2009 10:00PM

I have heard about the speed problems with CrossOver, and my machine is an iMac G3 600 Mhz.

It ought to be equivalent to a suicide of the machine smiling smiley

A+

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.