General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Default mail
Posted by: crabboy
Date: January 29, 2009 01:22AM

Right off, apologies if this has been answered; "mail" in search gets a bazillion replies and "default mail" gets none.
I have a macro added to email URLs that I find interesting. After installing MS Office (to get Access), I have renamed Outlook Express as my default mail program, but KM still tries to send URLs thru Outlook. How can I reverse this change?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 02:23AM by crabboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Default mail
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 29, 2009 02:57AM

It would not matter - forum search does not work properly. At the momemnt You can only google for items & info that You search in this forum

German: Internetoptionen (Internet options), in Tab Programme (programs).

System part of the internet settings, a default handlers for several jobs can be set. The same tab where you can set IE as default.

You can probably also set it in options of the program that You are using.

I think mailto: is a protocol and a default handler is set via registry.

I am not sure because my mail program asked me during install and I chose it as default.

Date: January 29, 2009 12:20PM

I've got Outlook Express reselected as the default mail program. I even replaced Outlook in KM's Tools>Mail And News> Configure Mail, but no help. I suppose I could re-install KM, but I have it customized & that would be a real pain in the butt. I may try to remove Outlook and see if that works.

Date: January 29, 2009 02:31PM

Select new default Mail Program via Windows System Function for Internet Options.

Here is German view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 02:34PM by guenter.

Attachments: _0k-meleon2.jpg (35.2 KB)  
Posted by: desga2
Date: January 29, 2009 07:37PM

In mail.kmm file (in K-Meleon\macro subfolder) you can see the macro code used to do mail client settings:
_Mail_DefaultMail{
$__key="Software\\Clients\\Mail\\";
$__key=$__key.readreg("HKLM",$__key);
$__def=readreg("HKLM",$__key."\\shell\\open\\command\\");
$__sys=readreg("HKLM",$__key."\\protocols\\mailto\\shell\\open\\command\\");
$__usr=readreg("HKCR","mailto\\shell\\open\\command\\");
$__usr==$__sys?$_client=$__def:$_client=$__usr;
}

Usually if you setting some other path for mail client in Tools -> Mail And News -> Configure Mail... this must override your registry setting, but if you have problems try to check your registry mail client entrys and delete K-Meleon mailclient preference to K-Meleon use your registry setting mailclient.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 01, 2009 12:14AM

Turns out it's not just a KM problem - same behavior with Maxthon. Will either have to dig thru the registry or dump Outlook.

Update: And sometimes things work the second time you try them: I had changed the default mail back to Outlook Express with no success. On a whim I changed it to Thunderbird, and then back to Outlook Express. All is well now.....:s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 12:24AM by crabboy.

Date: February 01, 2009 01:25AM

Thx for tip; Similar trick works when registry does not remember browser.
But I did not think that it might work for mail also. good to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 01:26AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.