General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
My SESSIONS are no longer available
Posted by: nagis
Date: January 17, 2009 05:00AM

Hello

I have loved the sessions feature in KMeleon. I must have had close to 120 different sessions saved and many times have gone back and used those sessions. Recently, for no apparent reason, Kmeleon threw a "could not find toolbar.cfg" or something to that effect and my menus were gone. WORSE STILL, my bookmarks and sessions were also gone.

I then saved off the entire Kmeleon folder under "Application Data" and also under "Local Settings\Application Data" and reinstalled Kmeleon 1.5.2. I now get the following error when I start Kmeleon:

"Kmeleon was not able to find your toolbar settings. Your selcted skin may be missing or corrupt...."

I donk care for my skins. My menu bar is back and I can see my bookmarks are back now. But I do not see any of my sessions. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me find my sessions back? Where are they stored? Why are they not visible even though I copied the entire previous folder structure back? THey MUST BE in one of those files, should they not?? !!

PLEASE HELP. THIS IS URGENT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My SESSIONS are no longer available
Posted by: gdv
Date: January 17, 2009 07:36AM

How frustrating! sad smiley

I hope someone will be able to help, but I'm not sure it will be me, unless you happen to have a backup of the prefs.js file (where sessions are saved) or your whole Profile (which would include prefs.js) from before you started having trouble.

My prefs.js path (which I think is the default) is:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\xw3lekd6.default\prefs.js

If you have a backup (or for future reference, even if you don't), you might find some of the following discussion helpful in terms of where and how Sessions are stored (prefs.js), and how best to view Sessions info in the prefs.js file:

Location of K-Meleon saved sessions ???:http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,87268

Unfortunately, the Sessions aren't saved individually in separate files (like they are in Opera, which I prefer in this respect). Instead, they are all contained in prefs.js (and your prefs.js might have been pretty large if you had 120 different sessions saved in it).

If you do have a backup and also have any newer Sessions that you also want to save, you'll have to load up both old and new prefs.js in a text editor (or maybe a Diff editor that allows merging of files) and combine the Sessions lines you want from the old prefs.js with those in the new prefs.js. If you read through the above thread and look at your prefs.js file, you'll see that this might be a challenging task, because of how long many of the lines for different Tabs may be.

I'm no programmer, and no expert in file merging, but I just downloaded and started using an open source compare/edit Diff utility called KDiff3 that really impressed me and might do the trick:

http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net

Of course, since I learned what I did in the Location of K-Meleon saved sessions ??? thread, I try to regularly back up any sessions I want by backing up the whole prefs.js file.

Hope you find em! smiling smiley

Re: My SESSIONS are no longer available
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 17, 2009 08:02AM

Sessions are stored in prefs.js. Since You made a backup they are safely in the backup of the old profiles folder.

If Your K-Meleon always starts with cannot find my ... this means that You do not have writing privileges to the Profile folder. You or Your system admin changed something.

Make sure that K-Meleon has them or You

reinstall K-Meleon with default settings.

The default values choose a place where users by default have writing rights.

A install with default values generates Profiles in %apdata%/K-Meleon/randomname.default folder and a file called profile.ini right next to it.

The location of %apdata% - depends on Your windows version - use google
and search for Mozilla Profile folder.

My profile.ini content, Bold section is a random number.

[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=618e8n01.default
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

You edit the bold section to fit to Your OLD profile number!
And You copy the OLD folder with random name next to the location were the new one is.

The new folder with random number can be deleted.

Alternative procedure You copy the files from inside the OLD folder into the NEW folder and edit the passwords file (*.s) after You created it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 08:05AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.