General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[OT] Iron Browser
Posted by: foobarly
Date: December 14, 2008 01:02AM

I just made a mini review of this browser in the Internet Spirit thread, here: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,82208,86714,page=5#msg-86714.

If you care to do so, please share your impressions here... :cool:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [OT] Iron Browser
Posted by: Arrow
Date: December 14, 2008 06:00AM

I don't like it at all, Exactly like chrome in that it is very poor at loading media heavy pages that contain dozens of thumbnail links and won't scroll down the page properly so that you can view the thumbnail galleries as they render whilst it takes it's relatively interminable time to load the rest,

K-M and TheWorld browser beat iron and chrome hands down for this.

Give chrome and iron a couple of years and they might approach the basic features that are required and expected in a proper browser now.

I think there is an aspect here of taking a decent sports car engine plus transmission and cobbling a shoody body onto it with no luggage room, no rear passenger seats and no stereo and calling it a Mercedes or a Jaguar.

Nothing personal foobarly - I like to experiment with browsers but this gets my goat! smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 14, 2008 11:04AM

foobarly
If you care to do so, please share your impressions here... :cool:

I largely share Your favorable view.

What I find most impressive of the coming browser generation are the new JavaScript engines - K-Meleon will get one when it is moved to GRE 1.9. smiling smiley But K-Meleon will loose Win9x support by that sad smiley

Lunascape has more of a browser & can use several engines. & several engines would also be my personal wish for K-Meleon. So I like Lunscape better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 11:06AM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 14, 2008 11:49AM

chrome/iron= just can't live with that interface

Arrow
I think there is an aspect here of taking a decent sports car engine plus transmission and cobbling a shoody body onto it with no luggage room, no rear passenger seats and no stereo and calling it a Mercedes or a Jaguar.
love that analogy.smiling smiley

edit: "What I find most impressive of the coming browser generation are the new JavaScript engines - K-Meleon will get one when it is moved to GRE 1.9. smiling smiley But K-Meleon will loose Win9x support by that"

when that happens, i think km can be released with the latest 1.8 gre side by side with 1.9. like having 2 versions.. one for nt-based and other for 9x. the 1.8gre version will always be maintained, supported and updated with latest features(if possible) that are introduced to the nt version. the only catch about this is.. i think atleast one more dev will be needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 11:54AM by disrupted.

Date: December 14, 2008 12:19PM

disrupted
when that happens, i think km can be released with the latest 1.8 gre side by side with 1.9. like having 2 versions.. one for nt-based and other for 9x.

In the end Mozilla will stop updating 1.8. K-Meleon project needs their GREs and updates. That is why K-Meleon 0.9 updates were dropped after the last Mozilla 1.7 update.

Posted by: foobarly
Date: December 14, 2008 02:53PM

Arrow
I don't like it at all, Exactly like chrome in that it is very poor at loading media heavy pages that contain dozens of thumbnail links and won't scroll down the page properly so that you can view the thumbnail galleries as they render whilst it takes it's relatively interminable time to load the rest,

Hey, they come in all sizes and forms... What I reported was based in my direct experience, and I have no such impression. As I stated, Chrome/Iron is very demanding in terms of memory, as it keeps everything insulated from tab to tab.

Nowadays, I am getting the same kind of demand from KM itself, with the difference that it starts low and then rises over time, until I have no option but to kill it forcefully and restart it. Someone (I can't recall who right now) even made a macro for this...

Arrow
Give chrome and iron a couple of years and they might approach the basic features that are required and expected in a proper browser now.

I agree. It really needs to be as customizable as KM is to be worthy of its salt. But hey, they say extensions are coming next, an that made the ascendancy of FF, IMHO.

On a side note, you can throw this speed freak your Jags/SLs any time -- I don't care for the stereo, luggage room or back seats, one man's shoddy body is another's dream machine.

guenter
I largely share your favorable view.

What I find most impressive of the coming browser generation are the new JavaScript engines - K-Meleon will get one when it is moved to GRE 1.9. smiling smiley But K-Meleon will loose Win9x support by that sad smiley

Lunascape has more of a browser & can use several engines. & several engines would also be my personal wish for K-Meleon. So I like Lunscape better.

Those are exactly my feelings and what Iron offers me is mainly the sleek interface and the updated JS engine. It's been years since I last used Win9x, but I see no reason to drop support for yet another OS -- that way is like we're always starting from zero. The more options one has, the better...

Lunarscape is too rough to be usable for me right now (I suspect the problem here is more the lack of development of the standalone Gecko engine), but I love its concept and I'll experimenting with it as soon as possible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 03:02PM by foobarly.

Posted by: playdayz
Date: December 14, 2008 10:16PM

i investigated Iron when it was first released. I even used Codeweavers Crossover Chromium to get Iron working in Linux. I have had it on my Windows machine ever since, but I have found that I never use it at all. My need for speed is satisfied by CCFME 0.09 now at RC1, which outperforms Iron by 1885 vs. 2255 on Sunspider on my machine. I had hoped to use CCFME as my work browser but those online teachng platforms such as Blackboard are too picky so I am staying with Firefox 3.0.0.4 as my work browser. Firefox 3.1b3pre is working fine of my linux machines so I am looking forward to it in Windows (for work I need the most stable version). I also need IE to test pages for compatibility. So with all that, where does Iron fit--nowhere really for me, but thanks to SRWare for making it--when it and Chromium came out I learned so much about google's policies that I would rather not use their browser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 10:16PM by playdayz.

Date: December 14, 2008 10:50PM

playdayz
I had hoped to use CCFME as my work browser but those online teachng platforms such as Blackboard are too picky so I am staying with Firefox 3.0.0.4 as my work browser. Firefox 3.1b3pre is working fine of my linux machines so I am looking forward to it in Windows (for work I need the most stable version).

You can use CCF for 1.9 or any 1.6.exe You get hold of with the GRE 1.9.1b2pre from Lunascape or any similar GRE from Seamonkey. The FFoxes are no good with spoofing so it is hard to use 3.1b3pre on some pages. But 3.1b3pre's GRE can be also used to drive K-Meleon for 1.9. You just copy the needed K-Meleon files and folders into its install directory. K-Meleon can easily change Agent string.

playdayz
I also need IE to test pages for compatibility. So with all that, where does Iron fit

1 possible use of -any KHTML engine- can be to check Mac comptibility of pages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 10:53PM by guenter.

Posted by: playdayz
Date: December 15, 2008 03:58AM

Guenter
You just copy the needed K-Meleon files and folders into its install directory. K-Meleon can easily change Agent string.

This is something I have been wanting to learn. It would be another step to understanding K-Meleon. Is it written down anywhere? I mean, "which are the needed files and folders?"

That is a good use of khtml browsers; thanks. I also play with Arora occasionally.

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 15, 2008 03:06PM

guenter
What I find most impressive of the coming browser generation are the new JavaScript engines - K-Meleon will get one when it is moved to GRE 1.9. But K-Meleon will loose Win9x support by that

Guenter, everything has to end sooner or later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 03:09PM by panzer.

Date: December 15, 2008 10:32PM

playdayz
That is a good use of khtml browsers;

Sorry, I think I caused a missunderstanding.
Lunascape5 installs 2 engines and can use IE engine.

Lunascape's SeaMonkey engine 1.9.1x can be used by K-Meleon.exe for 1.9
(e.g. some of Hao's recent CCFs).

KHTML support for K-Meleon is a wish - we would need a plugin dev to create that for us.

playdayz
This is something I have been wanting to learn. It would be another step to understanding K-Meleon. Is it written down anywhere? I mean, "which are the needed files and folders?"

You would find info under K-Meleon GRE updates. Search this Forum. You always need a K-Meleon (exe&kplugins) that uses the same GRE version that You want to use.

Current K-Meleon 1.x - 1.5.x use GRE 1.8.x.
Dorian already made some K-Meleon.exe that can use 1.9.x.
His code or the exes are used by Hao.

The easiest way. Get a file manager with two panes. Each set to one folder.
Use an existing install e.g. of Hao's version. Copy an extra into another folder lets call it TestVersion ( then You delete ./TestVersion/Profiles). Get a Firefox3.1/SeaMonkey2 or ./Lunascape5/extents/gecko. Then copy all *.dll from ./Firefox, ./SeaMonkey or ./Lunascape5/extents/gecko to ./TestVersion folder. Then delete ./TestVersion/components and copy ./*/components... to its place. If You work with an ME You also need the ./*/chrome folder that belongs to the ./componets. K-Meleon ME have a minimal chrome that is run only by an alternative chrome.dll (called chrmlite.dll).

A Firefox GRE with an early K-Meleon 1.6
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.5.0 Shiretoko/3.1b2pre

A SeaMonkey GRE with a later K-Meleon 1.6
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b1pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.a

You will find bugs and chrome items that do not work. I tried to fix but do not know how. If You cannot use Preferences, use about:config and set prefs manualy...
It should not be Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.a but the "day of the build" K-Meleon/1.6.a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 10:40PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.