General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
pages not loading
Posted by: dreamz
Date: December 08, 2008 06:16PM

every so often, pages refuse to load. e.g., when i try to refresh a page, it just stays blank and the tab says 'loading...'. it's not the internet connection, since other browsers work and k-meleon works after restarting.

i don't think it has anything to do with the user.js page loading tweaks, either, since i get the problem even when i don't use them.

any ideas why this might be happening? thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pages not loading
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 08, 2008 07:18PM

More info please: K-Meleon version, windows version, type of conection, K-Meleon Extensions installed, firewall, proxy, ...

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2008 07:19PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:48PM

are those pages p0rn? according to some users km has had issues before with x-rated sites.. it appears than kmeleon is a very prude browser of the catholic persuasion.

therefore you should only use km with decent websites and its best to use another browser for adult and sport-memorabilia(those can turn ugly with prison sentences) pages

Date: December 08, 2008 10:06PM

desga2
More info please: K-Meleon version, windows version, type of conection, K-Meleon Extensions installed, firewall, proxy, ...
k-meleon 1.5.1, windows xp sp3, cable internet (wireless connection), no extensions installed, no firewall (unless you count my linksys wrt54g router with dd-wrt firmware as one), and no proxy.

the internet connection is fine, since pages load in other browsers and restarting k-meleon fixes the issue.

are there any settings within k-meleon that i should check?

disrupted(unlogged)
are those pages p0rn? according to some users km has had issues before with x-rated sites.. it appears than kmeleon is a very prude browser of the catholic persuasion.

therefore you should only use km with decent websites and its best to use another browser for adult and sport-memorabilia(those can turn ugly with prison sentences) pages
nope, not p0rn, just regular sites: gmail, k-meleon forums, etc.

Date: December 08, 2008 10:51PM

i was joshing about p0rn. i was inclined to say it could be related to wireless connection but like you said, since other browsers work fine this rules that out.
is it portable kmeleon.. i mean running from usb etc? also check how cache is managed in preferences.. see if it caches on disk and on memory. default settings for cache:
cache in memory: max 4mb
cache on disk; max 32 mb
still not good.. then try to create temp default profile and see if it works

also note, that some pages use postscript, so upon refreshing; it should give you a message about that.. if it doesn't give you a message; it might go into a stall mode and that would be a bug. test same pages with firefox and if it prompts postscript info will be lost and it doesn't do that in kmeleon.. then it could be bug-related and page address will be needed for testing

Date: December 08, 2008 10:58PM

Are you tried with others K-Meleon version like 1.5.0 or 1.5.2RC2?
(Personally I don't like/use 1.5.1, in my own opinion not seems a fine release version, this do some strange things)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 08, 2008 11:08PM

i agree.. 1.5.1 can act like it's possessed sometimes

Date: December 09, 2008 02:28AM

disrupted(unlogged)
i was joshing about p0rn.
it's hard to tell on the internet. tongue sticking out smiley

is it portable kmeleon.. i mean running from usb etc? also check how cache is managed in preferences.. see if it caches on disk and on memory. default settings for cache:
cache in memory: max 4mb
cache on disk; max 32 mb
still not good.. then try to create temp default profile and see if it works
it is a portable version, but running from my laptop, not my usb drive. i've disabled the disk cache, but not the memory cache.

i've created a new profile, but i still have the problem intermittently. it's hard to reproduce.

also note, that some pages use postscript, so upon refreshing; it should give you a message about that.. if it doesn't give you a message; it might go into a stall mode and that would be a bug. test same pages with firefox and if it prompts postscript info will be lost and it doesn't do that in kmeleon.. then it could be bug-related and page address will be needed for testing
i don't think it's site-related, since it affects all the sites at the same time, but i'll look into this.

desga2
(Personally I don't like/use 1.5.1, in my own opinion not seems a fine release version, this do some strange things)
i have not tried 1.5.0 or 1.5.2rc2. i suppose i could wait until 1.5.2 final is released. maybe that'll fix it.

Posted by: jack
Date: December 09, 2008 01:51PM

desga2

What is it about K-Meleon 1.5.1 that you don't like?

Date: December 09, 2008 07:13PM

jack
What is it about K-Meleon 1.5.1 that you don't like?

His number version? tongue sticking out smiley

desga2
Personally I don't like/use 1.5.1, in my own opinion not seems a fine release version, this do some strange things.

I tried it a little and browsing I didn't sense same that 1.5.0 or 1.5.2RC2.
(It's a strange uncomfortable sensation)
It's like drinking water with a strange taste. smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 07:14PM by desga2.

Posted by: caktus
Date: December 11, 2008 02:03AM

disrupted
1.5.1 can act like it's possessed sometimes

As I recall 1.1.2/3, 1.5a1, and K-MeleonCCF ME have always had this problem to some degree. Sometimes a page or reload would just sit blank while the throbber continues to indicate loading is taking place. Usually clicking again on reload or on the blank page will cause the page to suddenly load. Sometimes when clicking on the reload button causing the page to suddenly reload, after reloading is completed the page would suddenly reload again as though something, perhaps a ghostgrinning smiley, is causing page loading activity to go in vacation. This seems to be much less a problem with 1.5.0/1.

Also, at times it seems page-loading will not begin when accessing a page with a lot of flash and other images, while text size is above 20. Most notably this particular problem occurs when I am accessing http://www.accuweather.com/. Incidentally, http://www.accuweather.com/ would usually load very slowly until I removed most of the unnecessary imagery and background using AB+. Sometimes I think AB+ is one of the most useful tools when using dialup. Hard to believe AB+ is freeware, not that I'm complaining.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: December 14, 2008 05:44PM

interesting. i upgraded to 1.5.2rc2 just to try it out, and i haven't had any pages stop loading on me. but i did notice that sometimes pages take an extremely long time to load, and this seems to coincide with the loading of pages that use flash (e.g., comedy central). it could be that flash is causing all the problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 07:34PM by dreamz.

Posted by: caktus
Date: December 14, 2008 07:02PM

@ dreamz; flash

Flash definitely seems to take a toll i.e. while I am loading pages from http://www.newsbusters.org I have to disable flash as rather than actually read the articles I just load and save for later reading. KM usually loads content prior to flash, images, etc which is great but since I often load many news atricles in rapid succession, flash, etc. would greatly slow the entire process. However, KM does somewhat speed the loading of flash objects.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.