General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Some strange issues with Bookmarks Toolbar :mad:
Posted by: Pinienwald
Date: December 01, 2008 07:19PM

hi folks,

just decided to change to k-meleon today as a friend of mine told me how good it should be - and well it IS good except one strange issue.

I arranged the bookmars toolbar and added a bunch of folders there - but with every restart of k-meleon the toolbar is gone away - no thats not 100% correct the toolbar stays EMPTY ... my folders are gone ... they are still in menu but not in bar. I have to edit bookmarks to move one bookmark to another place click ok and all are appearing again. hell that is really annoying - do you have any hints for me what I could improve to avoid this??

OS Vista Ultimate 32bit

thanx in advance

Regards from germany
Tanja

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some strange issues with Bookmarks Toolbar :mad:
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 02, 2008 12:39PM

Confirm actions for changes in bookmarks file with ok (Änderungen mit ok beenden).

Make sure You(K-Meleon) has sufficiant writing privileges to write in Profiles the folder.

Post again if problem continues. Greetings to hansenet from htp-tel.de

Date: December 03, 2008 05:09PM

wow I'm really irritated now .... REALLY - I'm nearly 100% sure I clicked ok every time I tried this stuff .. Have no idea what else I should have clicked - but it seems to WORK now. Restartet about 4 times now and everytime the bookmarks were at their place ... I will keep an eye on it and if I still have strange problems I will give a call.

thanx for help from Hansenet to guenther

------------------------------------

edit after a crash everything is like before - does not save the stuff *grrrrr only with admin rights but that should not be the solution isn't it???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 05:40PM by Pinienwald.

Date: December 04, 2008 06:31PM

Pinienwald
wow I'm really irritated now .... REALLY - I'm nearly 100% sure I clicked ok every time I tried this stuff

I am 100% sure You clicked "ok".smiling smiley
(K-M warns that changes are lost but some PPL just click it away sad smiley )

Pinienwald
edit after a crash everything is like before - does not save the stuff *grrrrr only with admin rights but that should not be the solution isn't it???

No solution at all.

Try reinstall, during reinstall You are offered multy user support.
That should be chosen for all NT/XP/Vista systems.
It makes that a user profile is at the default location - where the user's K-Meleon has writing rights by default.

If it does not work that way You may have found a bug.sad smiley (
To work around You can try to grant writing rights manually and see if that works.

(No Multy User support makes that profile is in K-Meleon's install directory.
It is for Win9X, Admins and PPL that can set writing rights for the folder manually.)

p.s. Unter Vista sind Bugs gewesen. Ich habe das leider nicht intensiv mitgelesen.
Ich nutze mein voristalliertes Vista nie - mit dem nachinstallierten XP-Home meines defekten Gericon ist mein Amilo PA 2510 schneller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 06:32PM by guenter.

Date: December 05, 2008 12:23PM

ok - sorry for beeing a pain in the a.... but that does work only til reboot. I reinstalled version and everything looks great - happy me I thought lol then I thought doing a reoot will test better - and after reboot everything has gone lost. Same procedure as before ^^

Multiuser had been checked - and how do I give special writing rights to k-meleon for this special folder? I never did something like this ... btw with admin rights after reboot it doesn't work too - so it seems there is no solution for keeping bookmarks toolbar like it was after reboot under vista ultimate 32bit with sp1 (at my pc ) - have the same issue with portable and modded version of k-meleon.

thanx for your patience
tanja

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 12:24PM by Pinienwald.

Date: December 05, 2008 01:25PM

Thx for You patience in testing. & sorry that I was no help.
I post here if I hear of solutions.

p.s. ich kontaktiere kko & desgas2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 01:38PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 05, 2008 05:49PM

I'll tried to reproduce this problem in my Win2k system, but it would be better if someone could reproduce this problem in other Vista system.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 06, 2008 04:05PM

oki as we have a network here with 3 clients I tested bymyself and I have the following result.

PC1 - Vista ultimate 32bit sp2 (beta) - bookmarks are not saved - most times even not with broser restart but DEFENETALY NOT after reboot of pc

PC2 - XP SP3 - bookmars are saved with browser restart and bookmarks are saved with PC reboot!!

PC3 - Vista ultimate 32bit SP1 - same as other vista PC - so I'm nearly sure it is a bug with vista .. not sure if VISTA bug or K-Meleon bug.

As this stuff is really annoying I'm in the hope there will be a fix in the near future.

ehem do I have to post in bugs too or is it enough here??

Tanja

well --------------------------------------------#

a friend of mine tested too - and no problems at all - even with my bookmarks.html not (I though maybe there is something wrong with) - so NOW I have really no idea .. it's just annoying

*lookingsad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 05:10PM by Pinienwald.

Date: December 06, 2008 05:21PM

desga2
I'll tried to reproduce this problem in my Win2k system, but it would be better if someone could reproduce this problem in other Vista system.

I tried in my Win2k and work fine. This is a Vista problem.

I know that Vista do this strange things with favorites because Vista think that your favorites are yours and only lets you manage it with IE.
But this problem happen with bookmarks is very strange.

I noted other bug in bookmarks, when i added more bookmarks items to my "Personal Toolbar Folder", Bookmarks toolbar is full and not "»" button is showed to access bookmarks in toolbar out of window. You need restart K-Meleon to "»" button is showed.

Can you confirm bug founded by me?

Your friend tested with your bookmarls.html file in same K-Meleon version and in Vista and not happen this problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 05:26PM by desga2.

Date: December 06, 2008 05:46PM

oki .. some more information

I tried with opera adr file now - and what should I say?? IT WORKS!!! - oki that doesn't solve the problem with FF Bookmarks but it works for the moment and makes my surfing much more comfortable. I think something wasn't ok with the part of Netscape bookmarks ... do not ask because of what my friend has had no problems I have no idea lol .. and yes we both are using 1.5.1 version I have one installed and one portable both didn't work - he got only install version

for your issue - I'm not sure if I got you right?? I added a huge amount 20 I think new bookmarks directly to the toolbar - what happened was that the folders and readable font parts are getting smaller and smaller with every new bookmark I did not get any link to click for more space ... I think I misunderstood did I???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 05:48PM by Pinienwald.

Date: December 06, 2008 07:05PM

Pinienwald
for your issue - I'm not sure if I got you right?? I added a huge amount 20 I think new bookmarks directly to the toolbar - what happened was that the folders and readable font parts are getting smaller and smaller with every new bookmark I did not get any link to click for more space ... I think I misunderstood did I???

You don't understand me, before I had 4 bookmarks in my Personal Folder Toolbar, all bookmarks were showed in window and the button "»" wasn't showed because wasn't needed. I added more bookmarks to my "Personal Folder Toolbar".
This new bookmarks aren't showed in bookmarks toolbar and the button "»" to access it isn't showed.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 08:22PM by desga2.

Date: December 07, 2008 05:35PM

sorry I really don't get what you mean (my english isn't the best) maybe someone else could check that stuff?? Really sorry...

for my problem I found a solution now - I formatted my pc (there was some weird stuff going on) after format c everything works like a charm so NO BUG on vista with this bookmark stuff - sory for disturbing you. Everything looks fine so far ^^

LG
Tanja

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.