General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Import 1.5.0 profile to 1.5.1 installtion
Posted by: caktus
Date: October 17, 2008 06:22PM

I know this has been asked many times. But I have forgotten how and I cannot find the answer by searching the forums.

What is the easiest way to apply 1.5.0's exact Profile to 1.5.1?

Thanks.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Import 1.5.0 profile to 1.5.1 installtion
Posted by: desga2
Date: October 17, 2008 06:44PM

You can install 1.5.1 over tour 1.5 instalation (overwrite), or install in new folder and copy your 1.5 profile to new 1.5.1 folder (if you are using without installer versions with "profiles.ini" file to profiles in K-Meleon folder).

Posted by: canmar
Date: October 17, 2008 10:13PM

caktus, not to contradict desga2 (who very obviously knows much much more about the intricacies of k-m, from experience I would suggest a clean install instead of an overwrite. I tried to install 1.5.1 over 1.5, and in my subsequent rendering speed tests, 1.5.1 was noticebly slower than 1.5. Did a new, clean install and 1.5.1 is now blazingly fast, how I expect k-m to perform. Just my two cents worth, hope it helps. Cheers!

Date: October 18, 2008 02:39AM

Thanks desga2 and canmar.

The over-write seems to have gone well. In general, page loading does seem to be somewhat slow, though rendering is extremely fast. And while caches seem to have over-written OK, I'll give it a couple days. Meanwhile, I will keep canmar's suggestion in mind.

I do have a question regarding unknown traffic perhaps some one can help me with. I just finished saving about two dozen tabs to a folder. Although all tabs had completely loaded, saved and had been closed, Zone Alarm Firewall and the Internet connection icon as well as connection Status indicated constant incoming and outgoing traffic. I do not believe I have ever seen this happen before. Zone Alarm indicated "K-Meleon listening to port(s): 3944, 3946." Constant incoming and outgoing traffic was indicated for about two minutes when I finally disconnected from the Internet. I perform ALL updating manually and to the best of my knowledge, nothing should have been running in the background. Does it sound like this may be a problem?

Thank you.

P.S. I do have Prefetching enabled.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2008 02:41AM by caktus.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 18, 2008 11:42AM

Remember when overwriting files (Gecko updates) is recommended delete *.dat files in K-Meleon\components folder. (compreg.dat and xpti.dat)

@ canmar:
No problem i can be wrong, I'm a human, i think it. smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2008 11:46AM by desga2.

Date: October 18, 2008 04:47PM

@ desga2

Thank you. I've deleted them now. As an average Human being, I guess at times I am doomed to quickly forget the lessons of the past.sad smiley

Charlie

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: October 18, 2008 04:48PM

If you are using AdBlock Plus, my experience has taught me to install new KM versions in a new folder, open / run new KM to create the new profile, and install AdBlock Plus into the new KM before you begin copying your profile files into the appropriate new KM profile folders.

Date: October 19, 2008 12:46AM

@gvgerman

Thanks. Turned out I had to install AB+ into 1.5.1 manually as it did not show up in the 1.5.1 install.

Charlie

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 19, 2008 01:41AM

canmar
caktus, not to contradict desga2 (who very obviously knows much much more about the intricacies of k-m, from experience I would suggest a clean install instead of an overwrite. I tried to install 1.5.1 over 1.5, and in my subsequent rendering speed tests, 1.5.1 was noticebly slower than 1.5. Did a new, clean install and 1.5.1 is now blazingly fast, how I expect k-m to perform. Just my two cents worth, hope it helps. Cheers!

Canmar,

Having done it the overwrite way, I've not noticed the speed difference you've seen, but then I wasn't looking for it. If you had to venture a guess, what or rather where in the settings is there something wrong that should be changed?

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2008 01:41AM by ndebord.

Date: October 19, 2008 04:55AM

@ canmar

RE: Did a new, clean install and 1.5.1 is now blazingly fast

Same here.smiling smiley

Charlie

Date: October 19, 2008 10:29PM

caktus
@ canmar

RE: Did a new, clean install and 1.5.1 is now blazingly fast

Same here.smiling smiley

So can anybody tell me what is going on to make a 1.5.0 profile work slowly with 1.5.1?

N

Posted by: canmar
Date: October 20, 2008 10:42AM

ndebord,
Now THAT is a very good question, one I unfortunately cannot answer specifically; however, the reason I will usually go for a clean install versus an overwrite is just strictly experience. Upgrading most programs, especially numerous times, tends to result in more bloat and duplication of certain files, which will bog down performance. Sorry I cannot be more precise, but hope this helps anyway; cheers!

Date: October 20, 2008 07:02PM

canmar
ndebord,
Now THAT is a very good question, one I unfortunately cannot answer specifically; however, the reason I will usually go for a clean install versus an overwrite is just strictly experience. Upgrading most programs, especially numerous times, tends to result in more bloat and duplication of certain files, which will bog down performance. Sorry I cannot be more precise, but hope this helps anyway; cheers!

Canmar,

A good answer!

TKs.

<g>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.