General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[SOLVED] 1.5RC/Win98SE = Better rename k-meleonW9x.exe to K-Meleon.exe ?
Posted by: melo
Date: August 03, 2008 07:25PM

-------------------
Immediately after extracting files from 7z Arc, I have deleted k-meleon.exe.
This showed me that SetDefault.exe targets this file for all its process, leading to successive errors !
Renaming k-meleonW9x.exe to k-meleon.exe or K-Meleon.exe solves the problem.
Is that a safe practice ?

TIA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2008 12:43AM by melo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1.5RC/Win98SE = Better rename k-meleonW9x.exe to K-Meleon.exe ?
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 03, 2008 07:46PM
Date: August 03, 2008 08:26PM

desga2
Yes it's.

Thanks for your kindness ! smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 03, 2008 09:08PM

You 2.

kko already did me this favor in the last de-DE preview /= I saw a preview of this feature (i use Me & XP) - & I hope this install feature will be replicated for all other versions. Please do not ask me (I am only beta tester) how kko did it smiling smiley

Means: the latest German install/preview installer can recognize & choose whether You use older Win 98-Me or newer 2000-XP-Vista and it will smartly auto-select to name/rename the usable version/exe and to K-Meleon.exe.

My Hope and expectation: We get this feaature (the OS version choosing) @ any main (language) & K-Meleon version smiling smiley

Guess desgas knows already smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 09:10PM by guenter.

Date: August 04, 2008 02:33AM

guenter
-------
My Hope and expectation: We get this feature...

Maybe this is already done in 1.5RC self-installer (.exe) ?
Anybody who used it, can tell us ?
The post was to eventually cause a small ReadMe.txt in 7z Arc, advising renaming (...and deleting .manifest file if wanted).

(PS = I'm still using WebWasher 3.4 : it rocks and can block anything on earth !)

Regards.

Date: August 04, 2008 03:20AM

Yes - the last German installer I was given to test was capable to find out whether it was launched under a WindNT or a WinDOS. It installed only the right exe under WinME. Plus it renamed it to K-Meleon.exe.

p.s. Here I am one of the last active users of older Wins. So I see some things early :B

But I have no idea when or whether this feature will be used ( IMHO the feature has very low priority OS 95 - Me are dying fast and have less than 1% market share at the moment ). The feature exists because kko (who does the German version) had a old PC until recently.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 03:24AM by guenter.

Posted by: noel-pg2
Date: August 05, 2008 01:36AM

guenter
( IMHO the feature has very low priority OS 95 - Me are dying fast and have less than 1% market share at the moment ).

Win95/98/ME OSes are dead...barely, guenter. at least in my computing world. OSes I frequently use are nowadays Win2k & above, including Vista. The computers I have now are faster and no longer have any 9x flavor of Windows.

but at least it's nice to know K-meleon 1.5RC (and hopefully the upcoming final release of K-meleon 1.5) will still work under Win95/98/ME.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 05, 2008 06:20AM

The 1.5.0 setup handles it.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: August 05, 2008 07:20AM

JujuLand

The 1.5.0 setup handles it.

Thanks !

Posted by: km0fu
Date: August 05, 2008 04:20PM

noel-pg2
…but at least it's nice to know K-meleon 1.5RC (and hopefully the upcoming final release of K-meleon 1.5) will still work under Win95/98/ME.
Indeed, the 'walking dead at the end-of-life-bardo' find comfort in all who make the extra effort to allow vintage winOSs to continue - Bravo, KM smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 04:23PM by km0fu.

Date: August 05, 2008 05:21PM

A monopolist IT and OS company that leaves its customers in the rain after only 5 years. That and selling vaporware is the way the big man got rich. There is little comfort in the few that keep supporting. 0.2% of the OS market would be sufficient for small companies that sold support for old OS - provided they could work unhampered. It would be only just if big PPL that stopped support after 5 years also lost the copy rights to the product at that point.

p.s. I wonder what PPL would say if car manufacturers stopped making spares after 5 years or when the new car radio would not work in a car that is older than 5 years - here in the world of PCs no drivers for new hardware and I find that I cannot use/install new dll.

BTW. I also have Windows 2000/Xp and Vista Home Premium so it is no big problem - but it is annoying when I have to fire up an OS that takes 3 times as long to start just because the latest version of a program has been compiled against a new library and that MS80.dll or MS90.dll does not install.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 05:22PM by guenter.

Date: August 06, 2008 07:22AM

guenter

That and selling vaporware is the way the big man got rich.

+1

KM 1.1.6 on WINDOWS 98 SE flies like a rocket on 266 MHz PENTIUM at home ! smiling smiley

It's a secondary computer, I can buy another one but I like the challenge !

IMHO, such configuration can help spreading computing in deprived countries.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.