Previous web searches history
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 21, 2008 02:41PM

I have added SearchH http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmSearchH to the MacroLibrary http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLibrary.

Some users have previously asked about having a way to recall previous web searches. I have written a macro and JScript, which will show the searches that are in the user’s history.dat file for those search engines in the prefs.js file. I cannot claim to be an expert in web searching using KM so, I am asking for some user feedback. You should consider this a beta version of SearchH. I had planned to put this macro in forum before the MacroLibrary, but was unable to do so. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,80354

One item on which I need some help is the “general.searchEngine" item in prefs.js. I did not do anything with that pref because the engine was also in the “plugins.macros.search.engine[0,1,xx}.url”. I don’t know if that will always be the case.

Another item is where to display the page with the search results. I am using KM 1.5beta1 and I like having the results in a new tab. Earlier versions do not have tabs and I think the “kLayers “ does not yet work in 1.5. I started the project having the results open in the current window, but that might force someone with a slow connection and/or small cache to reload from the net in order to go back one page. Another option is to open the results in a new window. I am unsure if that aversely affects resources, but it should work for all versions of KM.

The last item is the menu system for SearchH. It is under the right-click of the History button. Is the wording in any way ambiguous?

All feedback and helpful hints will be appreciated.

Re: Previous web searches history
Date: June 22, 2008 02:35PM

There are four search engines displayed under TOOLS - WEB SEARCH, but there are only three search engines in Prefs.js. Does anyone know where the fourth engine is stored?

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 22, 2008 04:35PM

I can see the 4 search engines in menu and preference panel.
Filter in Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration (about:config)
kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.engine[0-...n].name
kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.engine[0-...n].url

Edit -> Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Finding Websites -> Web Search

Default web search engines prefs are in I10n.js file (K-Meleon\defaults\pref)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2008 04:45PM by desga2.

Date: June 22, 2008 09:39PM

@ desga2

Thanks, that is great info. If user does not change engines from the defaults there will be no entry in prefs.js. Looks like I will have to read both places for list of search engines.

This is reason I wanted to post here and not in MacroLibrary. I am afraid some people will have tried SearchH and not gotten any results. I am working on re-write now.

Date: June 24, 2008 02:50PM

SearchH has been updated to include the defaults located in I10n.js file. Some search engines with very complex URL strings may not display correctly. If you use one that does not display correctly, please post here and if I can, I will make a change to handle that one. There are just too many to do all of them right now.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.