General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
how to replace the icon from a layer that's loading?
Posted by: dpcdpc11
Date: September 19, 2007 02:58PM

can i set up a gif for the icon on a layer that's loading a webpage that would start when the throbber.avi starts?
i would like to set up an icon similar to the default icon in Seamonkey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to replace the icon from a layer that's loading?
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 20, 2007 04:48AM

When loading a layer K-Meleon uses a file called default.ico as place holder from Your used skin ( at least with the skin I use -my K-meleon does ).

If the page You visit has a favico (site specific icon ) it will replace this default icon when the page is loaded.

You can replace the default.ico for an other default.ico ( I use a rarely seen blue button ). K-Meleon looks for the name and it must be an icon ( it is not a gif or animated gif - I do not know whether animated icons exist, K-Meleon uses bmp and icons in skins; all MFC embed appliactions that I know use these file types for it ). You may have to delete IconCache.dat in Your profile to make a change of the icon effective.

p. s. I may have missunderstood Your question - I do not speak English natively.

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: September 20, 2007 11:17AM

guenter - I certainly don't know the answer (sorry), but I am wondering if dpcdcp11 means to display the website favicon in the "tab" when the site opens in a layer ?

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 20, 2007 12:02PM

This isn't possible in actual K-Meleon 1.1.x versions.
Only a image can be used as default icon on layers and this image format only can be an icon/bmp (not gif format support). (Yes throbber is avi format but only in throbber is load this format)

(dpcdpc11 says as in Firefox tabs, that throbber animation is showed at default or web icon place in each tab when this tabs loads)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 12:05PM by desga2.

Date: September 20, 2007 06:20PM

desga2 is right... that's what i meant... too bad this version of KM doesnt supports gif... maybe next version will.
anyway it's not a big deal.. this won't stop me from using KM.
just another question about the throbber.avi... wouldn't it e better if instead of an *.avi KM would use a gif or something? for a smoother performance i mean... to make KM even faster.

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 21, 2007 11:53AM

This is a question already in study for the K-Meleon Team.
But the solution more correct is change the support of images to png format as the most browsers (Firefox, Opera, browsers with IE engine, ...), included throbber.

I think this because png is a free format, while avi and gif are propietary formats and this requiered buy licenses to use. Almost png format is better in quality/size relation than bmp, avi or gif formats.

Date: September 21, 2007 05:13PM

i just love those PNGs... would be great to make KM able to support PNGs... brilliant ideea... i heard that MNG is also a good format... but dunno if it's free or not.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.