General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
secure sites
Posted by: curious john
Date: May 16, 2001 01:36PM

I downloaded 0.4 and boy what an improvement. It is at a stage where it is truly usable, but has a ways to go. For example if I try to access a secure site, it brings up Opera or IE. I assume because it cant yet provide encryption. Otherwise it goes most places and quickly at that with just occasional crash. I also like the way it loads a page. Sort of backwards from Opera. Downloads the text first and lets you start working without waiting for images. Great with Ebays new index that has all the thumbnail images. With Opera I have to toggle off images to get it to do this.

As to IE favorites, I must be only person who isnt impressed by such. I'm not thrilled with way Opera does it either. Old Netscape was better, but way I liked best was way Enigma did it early on and that was setting up an html page to stick favorite urls. Simply set homepage button to this html page and you could go . Only thing I didnt like was having to bring up an html editor to delete entries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: secure sites
Posted by: scratch
Date: May 16, 2001 02:41PM

It does support encryption if you install Mozilla .90 and put K-Meleon.exe in that directory. And Netscape bookmarks are in a HTML page that you can set to your homepage if you want to, and if you didn't notice, K-Meleon can use Netscape or M$IE bookmarks/favorites.

Posted by: curious john
Date: May 16, 2001 11:53PM

I guess you didnt completely read my post. I stated I didnt care for IE favorites. I also dont much care for later version Netscape bookmarks. I dont see any way to set normal K-meleon homepage, so am assuming you are again referring to when it is used with Mozilla.

I did download Mozilla0.9 Out of curiosity tried it alone. About like IE5 on my machine. I then inserted K-meleon.exe in its directory. K-meleon run this way was slower for me than Mozilla0.9 alone. Sorry, but going this route still equals bloatware especially when you add in java. I am hoping k-meleon becomes more like a minimalist Enigma type browser only using Gecko rendering engine. Or at least something not larger than Opera which also requires the Sun java plugin.

I understand an enigma size browser with gecko rendering engine would still require Sun java plugin. Running Enigma on earliest edition of w95 that didnt have IE preinstalled requires downloading of M$ java machine to have java although the M$ html rendering engine was a part of that edition of windows.

Again I am impressed with stand alone k-meleon at its present early develepment stage. Will keep looking in to see how it developes in future months.

Posted by: scratch
Date: May 17, 2001 03:17AM

No I am not. In preferences you can set your homepage in k-meleon, with or without Mozilla. And using Netscape bookmarks will automatically add them to bookmarks.html in your profile directory, removing need to manually edit the file. K-Meleon runs *faster* rather than slower on my system when running from the Mozilla directory, so I'm not sure why we're getting different results.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.