General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
0.4 ready for release?
Posted by: PeteCool
Date: May 04, 2001 02:23AM

0.4 Nightly build 276 (april 30th) is, like, excellent !

I don't see what's left to have it ready for release.. maybe ssl/psm, but that's not a really big fault =)

Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0.4 ready for release?
Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 04, 2001 04:21AM

I'm waiting for mozilla .9

-- Jeff

Posted by: FredP
Date: May 04, 2001 03:41PM

Yes, it is very good indeed.
Less stable than 0.3 though (many pages blow it up :-)

BTW: is there any doc anywhere on how to change menus and shortcuts ?

Thanks,
fp

Date: May 05, 2001 02:12AM

Stability is the reason I'm holding off for mozilla .9, hopefully most of the site crash issues will be fixed.

There's an older menu/accelerator doc at http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2950&group_id=14285

It's probably a bit dated, but it should help to get you started.

-- Jeff

Date: May 06, 2001 09:09PM

>There's an older menu/accelerator doc at >http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2950&group_id=14285
>It's probably a bit dated, but it should help to get you started.

Just the ticket. Thanks Jeff !
(in fact I was not changing the right .cfg file :-)

Date: May 07, 2001 02:59PM

Me again.

This feature is really very cool. Not being able to change keyboard shortcuts and popup menus in Netscape is something that I've been grumbling about for years :-)
Kmeleon make this very simple - thanks !!

There is one very small thing though that I like in Netscape and that I've seen nowhere else : the popup menu appears on "mousedown" and "mouseup" validates a command. So you can press the right button, select e.g. "back" and release, all in "one click". With most other Windows apps you need to click twice, once to popup the menu and another to validate an action. Why the difference ? I wonder if this would be hard to reproduce in Kmeleon ?...

Date: May 07, 2001 07:55PM

This is a bit of a sore point with some of the mozilla team, and they are refusing to change it for compatibility/consistency matters. Right now, there's absolutely no way for us to trigger the context menus on mousedown, without modifying the core mozilla components, which is something I'd really like to avoid doing so that users may update kmeleon just by copying the kmeleon specific files into the mozilla-embed directory.

-- Jeff

Posted by: Brian
Date: May 08, 2001 04:15AM

for more info on the menu mouse down thing, consult this bug: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49844

Some memorable quotes:

Me:
"I like it firing on mouse down. that's the way god intended it to be."

Ben:
"This context menu on mouseup thing is a big pain in the butt for the many people, and big turnoff from mozilla."

Timeless:
"there are features of using mouseup, there are reasons we don't use mousedown and these were discussed in other bugs. please take your complaints to a newsgroup."

Pinkerton:
"we are using the win32 WM_CONTEXTMENU event. Period. Done. This conversation is over."

Eventually, we'll be able to hijack the mouse click events and display the menu at the correct time. until then, we just have to live with this.
I actually have a version of kmeleon with the menu appearing on mouse down, but it requires a hacked version of Gecko...

Date: May 08, 2001 09:23PM

Thanks !

Good to know I'm not alone in this :-)))

Although it would be nice, I agree it is not cause enough to start hacking and distributing modified moz sources... better concentrate on kmeleon improvement for now !

BTW, moz .9 just out... kmeleon .4 soon ? smiling smiley

Best,
fred

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.