General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: How Many Windows 98 Users Are There Here?
Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: September 01, 2007 05:44PM

ah right so now we know why there are so many machines used as spambots and why so many people are hacked etc
If you had checked the statistics, you'd know almost all of those infected machines are using WinXP SP2.

to the person who said "I wouldnt use xp if you paid me" - isnt that just because you are too lazy to learn something new?
That's hardly a reason to not use WinXP for any Win9x user.

Because win 98 is so inherently insecure that anyone who is still using FAT or FAT32 needs their head examined and their needs to iactually have a clue about the security that fornats such as NTFS offers over and above FAT.
FAT, FAT32 and NTFS are just file systems. They are not a factor in infection from remote.

The fact is by using DOS and 98 arent you just making it easier for people to propogate malware all over the internet?
No, because Win9x does not open ports needlessly, only opening what it needs to. Do a fresh install of Windows 98, open a command prompt, and type netstat -a. This will list all ports that are open. What do you see listed? NOTHING.

I call FUD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justme
Date: September 02, 2007 09:19PM

Yes, we use Win98se on several machines. Like many posters here, we have no intentions of "upgrading" to later versions of Windows, if we can avoid it, thus saving ourselves $$$ and aggravation.

With Windows98se, we have more control over what the operating system is doing, at least with our current softwares. If we upgrade to anything newer than Win98, it would mean we'd have to buy lots of other newer versions of so-called "legacy" softwares, to be able to do what we now do with current items. (For example, Norton Utilities has a great WIPER built in that works with Win98, but won't work with anything higher. It also has a wonderful REG-EDIT utility that allows you to go in and really clean out the clutter and unwanted junk in your registry.)

We even are able to use high-speed DSL internet with the little "old-fashioned" Win98.

Why upgrade & waste $$$, time, energy, & aggravation on Microsoft's newest hassles, if you can get buy happily on what you already have?

:-)

Posted by: justme
Date: September 02, 2007 09:31PM

Oops, that should read "get by happily" - LOL! (Ghost of B.G. must've inserted a Freudian slip in the typing of that line... with MS's "BUY! BUY! BUY!" philosophy.)

Posted by: noel-pg2
Date: September 03, 2007 06:49PM

justme
(For example, Norton Utilities has a great WIPER built in that works with Win98, but won't work with anything higher. It also has a wonderful REG-EDIT utility that allows you to go in and really clean out the clutter and unwanted junk in your registry.)

I wouldn't use any version of Norton Utilities as any Symantec/Norton softwares are resource hogs, even under Win9x systems. I use "alternative" programs to the Norton tools that are far better & use less system resources (and more accurate)

BenoitRen makes very valid points.

Because win 98 is so inherently insecure that anyone who is still using FAT or FAT32 needs their head examined and their needs to iactually have a clue about the security that fornats such as NTFS offers over and above FAT.

whoever made this statement is really uneducated about file systems. As BenoitRen said, FAT/FAT32 and NTFS are just file systems.

I can still use any flavor of Win9x on my next door neighbor's computer since it can't handle WinXP or even Win2000.

Only way Win9x users will upgrade to XP or W2K is if they use new types of hardware/software that won't even run under 9x systems. Many new kinds of hardware & software released nowadays won't install/run under Win9x. I assume Win9x users here keep using their existing hardware/software and don't need to upgrade their HW/SW.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2007 06:55PM by noel-pg2.

Posted by: justmeagain
Date: September 03, 2007 08:28PM

Noel-Pg2 wrote:
<<I wouldn't use any version of Norton Utilities as any Symantec/Norton softwares are resource hogs, even under Win9x systems. I use "alternative" programs to the Norton tools that are far better & use less system resources (and more accurate)>>

Well, your mileage may differ, as they say, but we are happy with our Norton Utilities. Maybe the problem is that your experience involved Norton System Works and some other kludgey cr*p that Symantec is putting out these days (and has for many years). We use "legacy" NU software that does the jobs we need quickly and efficiently.
:-)

PS Our friend uses Norton Internet Security programs that gum up his machine that is a decade newer and supposedly a super-fast machine, but we can run circles around him with our older "obsolete" equipment--all thanks to Norton's "gumminess." LOL.

Posted by: justmeagain
Date: September 03, 2007 08:33PM

I agree that the opiner who said "..anyone who is still using FAT or FAT32 needs their head examined and their needs to iactually have a clue about the security that fornats such as NTFS offers over and above FAT..." is a bit off the mark.

Despite claims of supposedly better security in NTFS, we opt for FAT when installing Win operating system on our machines so they can all "talk" to each other without confusion, since some machines are old and some are new. (Our Win98 cannot read NTFS.) We doubt any security problems have ever occurred due to this choice.

Posted by: jk-
Date: September 04, 2007 12:58AM

a big frog thats died
ah right so now we know why there are so many machines used as spambots and why so many people are hacked etc - to the person who said "I wouldnt use xp if you paid me" - isnt that just because you are too lazy to learn something new?
The fact is by using DOS and 98 arent you just making it easier for people to propogate malware all over the internet?

Congrats, that is the stupidest thing I have read on this forum to date.

In actuality, NTFS is much more "insecure" than FAT16 or FAT32 because of ADS (alternate data streams).

There is no reason to stop using FAT32. Also, DOS and Win98 were programmed before Microsoft was completely in bed with the NSA & CIA (another reason why microsoft products can't be trusted, especially newer ones.)

----------------------
- K-Meleon Macros and Extensions
- Greasify (Greasemonkey type macro for K-Meleon)
- Stylish for K-Meleon

Posted by: An rp supporter
Date: September 04, 2007 02:24AM

jk-, this may be a little off subject but I must congratulate you on your fantastic
website. The Ron Paul link at the bottom of the homepage is the best. Keep up the
great work. Thanks much.
P.S. Before anyone says something I will say I am not doing anything political here.
I did not even mention the word until now. Even my name is very low profile.

Posted by: keyesmic
Date: September 06, 2007 03:46PM

I have started using K-Meleon on Windows 98, and it doesn't seem to work at all. When I type a URL in the URL bar and press enter, I get redirected to http://keyword.netscape.com/keyword/%s. What is wrong?

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 06, 2007 05:49PM

keyesmic
I have started using K-Meleon on Windows 98, and it doesn't seem to work at all. When I type a URL in the URL bar and press enter, I get redirected to

Press/Left-click the Search icon instead (right-click it for more search options).
The left click activates the search for items written in URL bar.

p. s. Let me guess: You used Firefox before?

BTW. Mouse gestures like Firefox (or SeaMonkey) can be set via Tools > Mouse Shortcuts

Posted by: Wilbur Buckwheat
Date: September 08, 2007 09:07AM

98 is alive and well.
F Vista !!!
No copy protect/ big bro BS on my box.
F the RIAA !!!
Head er over to oldversion.com for old oftware that works with the old 98 box.
I would never do banking or anything secure on this box, but for surfing it works just fine.
Microsoft bailed on a great OS.
I'm glad the BMW didn't stop making parts for my 99 car like Microsoft did.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: February 01, 2008 09:49AM

Great to see I am not the only 1 lol.... I love my 98se now I have it pimped with my turbo stealth recovery thingy, makes me laugh when I see a blue screen, who needs microsofts god damn support anyways...so up ####s bill.

If anybody else fancies pimpimg there 98se check it out here www.ibackup.eu

Nobody extracts money from me every few years when what I have does what I want it to do already - REVOLUTION!!!

Posted by: Darnit
Date: February 03, 2008 05:07PM

Finally caved. From 98se soon to vista. Will keep se and also run vista on new PC. All new hardware. Ideas on migrating accepted, especially moving/copying files, especially spreadsheets - may resort to emailing them.

Posted by: Carson
Date: February 03, 2008 07:09PM

Personally, I'd have chosen to go from 98se to XP and forget about Vista, but that's just in my opinion. I maintain Vista on a friend's brand new, powerful machine, but on my own I tried Vista and dumped it. XP knows files. XP is a workhorse, and it could be the future cult-OS. Vista is a bimbo, pretty but not able to do things (especially file manipulation) efficiently. On the other hand, if a person does not see the things that Vista can't do, or doesn't do well--then Vista is maybe the right choice.

I'm just saying this as a word of caution. It's also good to know you can set XP up with pretty well the same Vista graphics, so it looks like Vista but functions as XP. Sidebar with MS Vista gadgets and all.

I saw some ratings on the internet which tested XP as 50-100% faster than Vista. That agrees with what I've seen, as my old Cely rivals my friend's beautiful new ASUS (and hers scores 4.7 on the Vista compat test). The anticipated service packs in the next few months are predicted to give XP an even bigger lead over Vista.

Posted by: jack
Date: February 03, 2008 09:08PM

I know an engineer that worked on submarines' power plants, who has Win'98se on his home desktop.

Posted by: foobarly
Date: February 04, 2008 04:39AM

@Darnit

I pretty much second what Carson said. In my 'shop', Vista has been nothing but trouble, with constant freezing, no WiFi connection, no drivers for legacy and CURRENT hardware (a big concern for an upgrade), and so on.

Try XP -- I was wary of it at first, but after two service packs and some hacks, I haven't had to reinstal in almost a year. It'll be around for as long as 98, I can vouch for that, and when its gone I'm betting Linux will be ready for the desktop.

On a side note, Infoworld has a 'Save Windows XP' page, where you can sign a petition to ask Micro$oft not to discontinue support next Summer; a lot of coporations aren't willing to switch to Vista...

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

Posted by: Carson
Date: February 04, 2008 01:48PM

@foobarly, Bill himself said, about a year ago, that the biggest competitor to Vista would be neither Apple nor Linux, but rather XP. Yes, he really said that! Probably because it's true. Microsoft traditionally has seemed to regard old programs like the plague.

So the petition might forestall abandonment for awhile; we've seen that happen before. But I'm not sure that it would be entirely a bad thing for XP to be left out on the street. The OS is beautifully honed by this time (I know--that's a gross exaggeration, but you get my drift) and it will no longer be targeted by as many bad guys when it's no longer living at home. Instead, Vista will be. It seems to me that the best years for XP are just beginning now, for those who have come to know the beast.

Posted by: foobarly
Date: February 06, 2008 01:44AM

@Carson

Totally agree! eye rolling smiley

But some others mightn't...

Posted by: Eugen Mezei
Date: February 14, 2008 08:56PM

I use Win98SE wiht the unoff. SP2 and the (more faster) diskdefragmenter from Me. I do this on different desktops (beginning from 486-er to P3-850Mhz).
I also own a laptop that does not accept Win98 (respectively it has not the needed drivers) on which I run Win95c.
If installed carefully you can work with Win98SE without rebooting as long as a workday. So power it in the morning, work with it and you will have to stop it anyway when after 8 hours work you go home. Problem is, people like to install all kind of crap on their computers and run complaining to the admin when their win98 workstation that worked fine and stable when istalled by him accumulates frequent hangovers.
So first thing is to test what is working stable (e.g. I remember that I tested all the subversions of Netscape 4.7 for finding the one that was stable, that were about 5 or 6 versions if I remember correctly and all of them were installed on different computers and we ever wondered why some workstations work stable and others not) and when you have a tested configuration deploy it and begin educating your users not to install all the crap.

Eugen

P.S.: Does anybody understand this sentence:
"Windows 9x [95/98/ME] based OSes are installed on over 70 million computers, out of which 50 million are running Windows 98, 98 SE and/or ME."
It is from the aformentioned link in this thread.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: February 15, 2008 07:21AM

I think they mean that 20million are running a type of W95. Which sounds like too many to me. I use W98, no problems of any kind. I have XP Pro at work, it's OK, but I wouldn't use the consumer version becuase of all the "extras" bundled with it. I will probably migrate to Linux when 98 becomes defunct, if it ever does. I kind of think that mindless upgrading? of OS encourages bad OS development. cf Vista... OS is not a status symbol.

Date: February 15, 2008 07:27AM

snuz2
I think they mean that 20million are running a type of W95. Which sounds like too many to me. I use W98, no problems of any kind. I have XP Pro at work, it's OK, but I wouldn't use the consumer version becuase of all the "extras" bundled with it. I will probably migrate to Linux when 98 becomes defunct, if it ever does. I kind of think that mindless upgrading? of OS encourages bad OS development. cf Vista... OS is not a status symbol.

Date: February 15, 2008 07:34AM

snuz2
Which sounds like too many to me. OS is not a status symbol.
1. ms sold lots of them - - as long as drivers exist ppl will install this legacy oS. the Os is no status symbpl but the new PC is tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: A Windows 98 Enthusiast
Date: June 09, 2008 06:10PM

If you like Windows 98 I think you are really going to like this one smiling smiley

http://marxo.110mb.com/about.html

http://www.winprj.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89

Posted by: noel-pg2
Date: June 17, 2008 03:47PM

Eugen Mezei
I use Win98SE wiht the unoff. SP2 and the (more faster) diskdefragmenter from Me. I do this on different desktops (beginning from 486-er to P3-850Mhz).
I also own a laptop that does not accept Win98 (respectively it has not the needed drivers) on which I run Win95c.
If installed carefully you can work with Win98SE without rebooting as long as a workday. So power it in the morning, work with it and you will have to stop it anyway when after 8 hours work you go home. Problem is, people like to install all kind of crap on their computers and run complaining to the admin when their win98 workstation that worked fine and stable when istalled by him accumulates frequent hangovers.
So first thing is to test what is working stable (e.g. I remember that I tested all the subversions of Netscape 4.7 for finding the one that was stable, that were about 5 or 6 versions if I remember correctly and all of them were installed on different computers and we ever wondered why some workstations work stable and others not) and when you have a tested configuration deploy it and begin educating your users not to install all the crap.

Eugen

Um did u try out Netscape 4.8, Eugen? that was the last version of the Netscape 4.x series of web browsers. NS 4.8 was released in summer of 2002.

I have an old NEC Ready machine (Pentium 100Mhz w/ formerly 16MB of RAM and now has 80mb RAM) which used to have Win95 but upgraded it to Win98se back in spring 2001 and now that old NEC computer is at my next door neighbor's house. I only use that one for testing purposes now that my brother and I are using a custom made PC with WinXP Home edition now updated to XP SP3.

Posted by: Win 98 Lupus Lover
Date: June 18, 2008 04:03AM

Thanks for those links A Windows 98 Enthusiast. That website http://www.winprj.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=65&p=1083&hilit=jackhammer&sid=00c4383f33e442e2618f7701c127a203#p1083
refers to the one I use. It is called JackHammer. A sort of
Windows 98 hybrid. Since Windows 98 has been Abandonware
for at least 2 years and probably has been since Microsoft
stopped selling it one can do with it as you choose. There
are many interesting projects involving Windows 98 as
Abandonware can be legally modified and distributed any way
you like as long as you do not sell it. Everyone interested
in Windows 98 should really check out the rest of the website
especially here http://www.winprj.net/board/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=00c4383f33e442e2618f7701c127a203
smiling smiley

Posted by: melo
Date: June 18, 2008 11:19AM

I use voluntarily Windows 98 SE : it flies like a rocket !

Posted by: my.god.cent
Date: June 18, 2008 01:16PM

I prefer Microsoft Windows 1.0
It works like a charm!

Posted by: desga_2
Date: June 18, 2008 02:27PM

my.god.cent
I prefer Microsoft Windows 1.0
It works like a charm!
MS DOS 6.22 it's better. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: bpa23
Date: November 11, 2008 09:17PM

Wooohoooo!

People, guess what, now a new Windows 98 Upgrade Pack "Carinthian LH" Edition is available.

Some important changes include a Security Update 4 Internet Explorer 6, and that Updates from 2008 !!! Just more now "KernelEx" is included to let you run, newer apps on 98.
So have a happy 10 years Win98, and at least one more decade to come!

Callback information:
Windows 98 Upgrade Pack Website:
http://www.bpa23.host.sk/wupg.html
bpa23@lycos.de

Posted by: sean
Date: November 22, 2008 08:17PM

To everybody using 98 on old hardware.....have you considered NT4? I switched to it from the original 98 on my Pentium 100 and find it much more stable and at the same time less resource hungry. K-Meleon runs great on this machine, I'm posting from it right now.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.