Stil USes way too much memory
Posted by: Bash
Date: August 22, 2000 07:00PM

I just launched it and it takes up over 16MB of memory to display 1 page. The same on IE 5.01Sp1 is a little over 5. I know this is mostly Mozilla's problem, but until this is fixed, this program is no alternative to IE.

-Bash

RE: Stil USes way too much memory
Posted by: Ryan Hayle
Date: August 22, 2000 10:00PM

On my system it's only using 1.5 megs...really excelent if you ask me... Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Marc Weinmann
Date: August 23, 2000 04:06AM

How much of IE's code is masked by it loading with the system? We all know that IE is integrated in the OS.. iexplore.exe is just the front-end.. there is more code loading to support IE that isn't obvious. Netscape/Mozilla cannot integrate, so it's easy to see how much memory it uses.

Marc

Posted by: Fulton Preston
Date: August 23, 2000 04:26AM

I agree with Marc, it is impossible to tell how much IE is REALLY using, but I too do not like the fact that it is currently using 17+MB on my Win2000. Though I have plenty of RAM to spare I just don't like programs hogging it.

Still a good program though, I am using it right now to post this message.

Posted by: Stinger
Date: August 23, 2000 08:48AM

I run IE 5 under Win2k. A while ago I decided to see how much space IE was really taking up in one particular situation. The task manager stated IE was using 15 megs of memory, however once I closed all IE windows, my memory usage dropped by 40 megs. This might not always be the case, but Mozilla's (or K-Meleon's) footprint looked a heck of a lot 'lighter' compared to IE in that situation.

Posted by: Shawn
Date: August 23, 2000 04:40PM

I'm using NT 4 SP5. Using 14MB for this browswer

Posted by: Ryan Hayle
Date: August 23, 2000 06:50PM

How come it only uses 1.5 megs for me on Windows 2000, and 14 or 17 megs for others? This seems very strange to me... I'm using the M17 release of Mozilla...

Thoughts?

Posted by: Ben [pissed] Efros
Date: August 24, 2000 06:39PM

First of all, there is VM memory also, if you check the task manager. Enable that option if needed.... thats a lot of memory people forget about. IE does utilize less, because it basically uses code already part of windows that was loaded at boot time.

There are advantages and disadvantages to IE's approach:
Speed - pro
Stability - con
Reliability - con
Portability - con
Installation size - con (believe it or not, IE sucks up more space than netscape if you look at what windows components are almost solely used by IE)

Mozilla / K-meleon / etc approach:
Speed - pro / con depending on situation, for example: gecko is lightning fast
Stability - pro (if somehow the browser crashes, the system didn't)
Reliability - pro (code does not rely on outside components nearly as much)
Portability - A few files, that work under an Win32. Little registry information (none required in reality).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.