General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Cache & Drop Down Out Of Control!
Posted by: Leaky Dog
Date: February 14, 2002 12:14AM

Greetings,

Does anyone know the secret for managing the cache files in KM? The preferences button does absolutely nothing. Since KM insists on checking the cache first and my cache file is perpetually several MB"s in size , my browsing slows to a crawl. I have lowered the limits for the cache size but KM ignores it. Nearly every 15-20 minutes I am forced to close KM and manually delete everything in my cache.

Secondly (perhaps related) I have followed and read the documentation on the drop down box (the URL bar) ,set it to '0' and deleted all the MRU's in the configs. Upon reloading KM it resets it back to the default (16) , a default it is ignoring anyway. My drop down box now extends to the bottom of my screen (at 800 x 600). I've tried to change this in the configs but again KM ignores me.

Any help? TIA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cache & Drop Down Out Of Control!
Posted by: po
Date: February 14, 2002 01:09AM

sounds like k-meleon isn't completely shutting down between sessions.

are you using the loader? in that case, you might have to reboot.

if not, using Ctrl+Alt+F4 instead of Alt+F4 should work.

(or Exit instead of Close).

good luck.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 14, 2002 02:52AM

Leaky,

Also, you might have to edit prefs.js in Notepad with K-Meleon closed (if it still doesn't work after following Po's tips). This is how we used to do it in "the good old days". We thought that was fixed in 0.6 with the Configuration panel but alas, it doesn't appear to be working the way we want it to. It's something that is being worked on for 0.7.

Andrew

Date: February 14, 2002 06:23AM

One problem solved it seems..... the drop down box appears to have taken my setting it to '0' and the very long list has not reappeared. Done through the pref.js (thanks Andrew).

FYI..no, not using the loader ,too resource intensive for my system (266 mghtz K6 with 128 MB's RAM). I also use a process monitor (AppSwat) ,so between that and
Zone Alarm Pro I get a good handle on what's running at any given moment.

The cache problem though I'm still stuck on. I've got the limits lowered for cache size but the cache is still exceeding those limits continually.

Memory Cache is set at: 4096 KB
Disk Cache is at: 2500 KB

No problem getting those numbers to stick at all using the prefs.js , they are just being disregarded.

Regards, LD

Posted by: Bill
Date: February 17, 2002 11:31PM

It's probably the memory cache you need to lower not the disk cache. To 1024 or 2048. 128 MB is not much when windows wants to grab 70 to 90 meg physical memory just for itself when available. Dram has only been running $16 to $20 lately...

Posted by: Bill
Date: February 18, 2002 04:37AM

Leaky Dog:

I meant to say Dram has only been running $16 to $20 for a 128 MB stick. My system shows 60MB use just for windows everything except explorer shut down. 12MB to fire up k-meleon and another 6MB used to call up dialer and come to k-meleon homepage also another 4MB for Kerio firewall & The Proxomitron.

Date: February 18, 2002 09:04AM

Thanks Bill, I've lowered it to 2048, will see how that works, if not I'll lower it some more.

As far as my system I don't use anywhere near the memory you do. I''m still running Win 95 'B' (which undoubtedly helps) and have optimized my VCache (which helps a great deal). With 128 MB's on board , have KM running, a mail checker, a tiny ping utility, TP firewall and my internet connection (of course) and still have 86 MB's RAM
available. With just Win 95 (ie explorer) running I have 108 MB's available, so my Windoze is only using about 20 MB's RAM.

I could add another $20 128 MB stick but I kind of doubt it would help much. The 'walls' I run into would require a decent processor and a decent graphics card. I'd
guess you need 60 MB just for Windows because you're on 98 or higher? I'd put
'98 on this system and it was like watching honey drip. I'm waiting until Microsoft
releases something without 1000 bugs and an equal number of security holes before I look for a new system . ::sigh:: I may have a long wait. smiling smiley

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

-LD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.