General :  K-Meleon Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon. 
K-Meleon and 3 users
Posted by: Carl
Date: August 01, 2005 08:05AM

Hi,

I just bought a new computer for my wife and Granddaughter and I am Admin on there! Thus we have 3 seperate users!! I installed K-Meleon for my wife and plan to have a profile also and possibly my GD as well!!!

I have never done this before so need a little coaching!! How should I set this thing up if I want all 3 of us on this computer under 3 different user names to each use K-Meleon! Do I have to install it 3 times once each uner the different user or what?? I will take all the help I can get!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon and 3 users
Posted by: xstones
Date: August 01, 2005 09:24AM

Carl,
Click on edit, and press on manage profiles. The rest is easy..............just check on ask at startup.................................

Posted by: Carl
Date: August 01, 2005 11:03AM

Thanks foir the quick reply!! I diid what you suggested and everything was going rosey then the browser started to go crazy! Each item in view became a line across the screen and I could nit get it to chasnge back. Then I had a problem with the uninstall and had to remove a bunch of the stuff manually from the program file amd the registry! This happened on my new Laptop as well!! I am using SP2 on these two new computers and not having much luck!! Anyt of my XP SP! machines no problems at all!! Go figure?????

Carl

Posted by: xstones
Date: August 01, 2005 03:47PM

Oh I'm so sorry Carl. I just don't know what could go wrong. Maybe others can help you. What version of k-meleon are you using? Other new unofficial k-mels could still be buggy? I used wald wolf as it's more stable. The 1.7 series could be better than the faster 1.8...............

Posted by: kko
Date: August 01, 2005 05:18PM

Unlike other Gecko browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, ...), K-Meleon does store its profile data in its program directory (usually C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\...). On modern Windows NT based systems (2k/XP), only administrators have write access to the "Program Files" directory. Thus only an administrator is able to install (and run) K-Meleon there. When you start K-Meleon (from there) as a non-privileged user, K-Meleon won't have write access to its profile data and will behave as you describe, Carl.

To make K-Meleon usable with multiple users, there are several ways:

1) The easiest way
When logged on as administrator, give your users write permission to there profile directory. Your wife must have write access to her profile directory (and only to her's). With your granddaughter (or any other non-privileged user) it is the same. The profile directories are usually named "C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\<ProfileName>". Grant write access to the user who is the owner of this profile (including subfolders and files).
Disadvantage: Only privileged users (admins) are able to create new profiles.

2) Another easy way
Install K-Meleon multiple times (once for every user). Again make sure, that every user has write access to his/her installation directory.
Advantage: Every user has full control over his/her installation and will only see his/her own profiles.
Disadvantage: Well, I'm not sure, but you may run into problems with "Set as default browser". Try it out...

3) The hard way
You can force K-Meleon to behave like the other Gecko browsers i.e. to store its profile data in the user's %AppData% directory (usually "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\") to avoid privilege problems.

I recommend that you try the first way, Carl. The third way is only for advanced users (but I can try to guide you through, if you absolutely want it).

Good luck!

PS: I'm not sure, but I guess Windows XP Home does not offer to set detailed file access privileges. If this is the case, Carl, tell me. We will have to take the hard way then...

Posted by: 666
Date: August 10, 2005 11:25AM

<i>3) The hard way
You can force K-Meleon to behave like the other Gecko browsers i.e. to store its profile data in the user's %AppData% directory (usually "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\") to avoid privilege problems

(...)

I'm not sure, but I guess Windows XP Home does not offer to set detailed file access privileges.</i>

Indeed. Unless you download the security tab from http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp . But this doesn't always work as advertized.

So how do you get the hard way to work?

Date: August 11, 2005 12:23AM

The hard way would be to run k-meleon.exe with the command line parameter "-profilesDir $appdata" EVERY TIME. This will require manual changes to the Windows Registry and to all your desktop and start menu shortcuts! And you have to make sure that these changes will never be changed back! In addition to that, I have never tried if it works at all!

So, please try this first:

Boot your Windows XP Home into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key when it starts. In Safe Mode you will have the required "Security Settings" tab on the property sheet of files and folders. This way, you should be able to set the appropriate privileges on your profile directories (when logged on as administrator).

Posted by: AmboyGuy
Date: August 11, 2005 12:48AM

2) Another easy way
... Disadvantage: Well, I'm not sure, but you may run into problems with "Set as default browser". Try it out...

I use
DefaultBrowser - set a per-user default browser
DefaultMail - set a per-user default email client

Date: August 23, 2005 12:40AM

For those interested in the hard way:

I've spent some effort to write a documentation. It's a bit too much to post it here. So please, have a look there: http://people.freenet.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.