General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM shuts down on log-in page.
Posted by: Nick
Date: February 11, 2002 03:02PM

Go here:

<a href="http://www.dslreports.com/">http://www.dslreports.com/</a>;

and go to the logon page (link, top right hand corner). As soon as the page loads, KM shuts down (cleanly, it appears)??

Obviously, with this type of error you cannot analyse anything...

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM shuts down on log-in page.
Posted by: Mark B
Date: February 11, 2002 05:09PM

Well, don't mean to be to useless, but it works fine for me. I'm using the .7 release.

Posted by: Andreas
Date: February 11, 2002 09:37PM

0.7 Eeh where did you find that version...?

Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 11, 2002 10:09PM

There isn't actually a 0.7 version yet. There is a beta version of the next release that is being bug tested. It isn't ready for every day use.

Andrew

Posted by: schtum
Date: February 12, 2002 01:16AM

I can't be 100% sure, but your problem sounds similar to one discussed in this thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2653&t=2653

Relevant bits, edited for clarity:
"There is a known bug where if you save more than one username/password you will get the error that you encountered. You can either try editing this file* using a text editor to remove the offending username/password... or delete the file entirely and it will recreate itself."

*the file's name is a random number with an extension of "s" (eg. "1234567.s"). It is found under.... C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\
How to edit the .s file (it's easy!):
1. Close K-meleon.
2. Open the file in your favorite text editor (preferably _not_ Notepad, which screws up the formatting on my computer. WordPad works great for me.)
3. Search the file for url's that appear more than once (in this case, multiple entries for www.dslreports.com).
4. Delete the offending entries completely (url, login and password).5. Save and exit the file, open K-meleon.
6. Visit the previously offending site. Do a little dance when K-meleon doesn't crash.
7. Remeber to never save info to Password Manager more than once per site.
Hopefully this is what's causing your trouble. I don't know how necessary the step by step instructions were, but maybe someone else with the same problem and no computer savvy will read this and find it helpful.

Good luck!

Date: February 12, 2002 07:09AM

No, I had that before, and it's easy to fix... this page shuts down 'immediately' on loading, before I even have a chance to do anything.

Nick

Posted by: Mark B
Date: February 12, 2002 09:13PM

Bah, I'm an idiot. I meant 0.6. (I keeping hoping for .7, or as I hear it's going to be called .65)

Posted by: Greg Bair
Date: February 13, 2002 08:43AM

Do you have any strange settings set? like with your cookies or something? Do you have a pop-up stopper? Do you have a firewall set up? proxy? sorry for all the questions, but this is perplexing me, because this isn't happening with me.

Date: February 13, 2002 05:50PM

No, everything is 'normal'.

I got around it though. As soon as the page was 'visible' with enough text available I hit the stop button... then logged in... and it worked.

For some reason if I let the page fully load, it closed KM, as I said, cleanly with no errors.

??

Nick

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.