Re: 'shortcut on desktop' in right-click menu?
Posted by: kko
Date: September 01, 2005 06:45PM

I have posted an updated version of my Create Shortcut macro to the wiki.

Posted by: 666
Date: September 04, 2005 01:47PM

Great!

Posted by: Bob
Date: September 11, 2005 08:37PM
Date: September 11, 2005 08:42PM
Re:
Date: September 11, 2005 09:04PM
Date: September 23, 2005 04:08AM

Looks like there's still a bug left. Shortcut.js chokes on http://www.driverpacks.net/ which contains <title>DriverPacks.net > Portal > Welcome!</title> .

Date: September 23, 2005 10:44AM

Just tested the site, 666. Works fine for me. Do you have the latest version of Shortcut.js from the Wiki?

Date: September 23, 2005 07:17PM

No, I still had the latest one from this thread.

The wiki script works.

Thanx!

Posted by: alain aupeix chez wanadoo fr
Date: September 23, 2005 09:07PM

The wsh solution doesn't work with resource:/// and wyciwy:// and probably chrome://
Shortcut are created, but don't work

It's easy to correct resource:/// by file://c:\program%file\k-meleon\
but I haven't the solution for chrome and wyciwyg

Urlfile can be improved like this
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=27152&t=27152
IconIndex=2
IconFile=c:\Program Files\K-Meleon\K-Meleon.exe

Sweet, isn't it ?

wsh doesn't work also for link, frame and mail contact, the title is always the default name, however, the text of the link (frame or page) could perhaps be used when existing. Macro PageLinks found it.

Don't you think so ?

Date: September 25, 2005 07:52PM

WebShortcut : A little tool to replace shortcut.js
---
Why
---

I love the idea of being able to create shortcut on the desktop since K-Meleon. And I appreciate the wsh script by kko.

But unfortunately it uses windows script which can have been disabled for security reasons.

So, I've created a little tool which can create shortcuts of all the links embeded in a web page: web page shortcut, mail address shortcut and finally all address file extension (as shortcut.js does)

But, it has some advantages over js script:

1) possibility to restrict shortcut to web address and mail address (by deleting /; in the extension string)

2) possibility to choose the icon shortcut for web shortcuts and mail shortcuts (by default, web shortcut use K-Meleon icon 1, and mail shortcut use Default mail client icon 0)

3) Other files shortcuts use (when file types are known) the corresponding file type icons.

4) Mail shortcut are named 'Contact - <mailAdress>'' instead of 'New Contact'

5) Frame shortcut name are referenced about the page Title 'Frame of <Page Title>'

6) resource:// is corrected, view-source: also

7) you can choose the extension you consider as web extension (by default: '/;@;htm;html;shtml;php;php3;php4;asp'). I probalby have forgot some extensions, and it should be very cool to report it.

8) Able or disable the extension error message box

9) Change shortcut config from within K-Meleon.

Let's try it and report here the problems.

----------------
Where to install
----------------

WebShortcut.exe must be put in K-Meleon\Tools directory or elsewhere you want(in this case, don't forget to modify the 4 macros in macros.cfg)

vdsrun30.dll also, or better, in windows folder.

-------------
In macros.cfg
-------------

PageToDesktop{
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\" \"".getpref(STRING, $dir)."\" \"".$URL."\" \"".gsub("\"","'",$TITLE)."\"");
}
LinkToDesktop{
$sTitle = "";
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\" \"".getpref(STRING, $dir)."\" \"".$LinkURL."\" \"".gsub("\"","'",$sTitle)."\"");
}
FrameToDesktop{
$sTitle = "Frame of ".$TITLE;
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\" \"".getpref(STRING, $dir)."\" \"".$FrameURL."\" \"".gsub("\"","'",$sTitle)."\"");
}
webShortcut{
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\" \"".getpref(STRING, $dir)."\"")
}

------------
In menus.cfg
------------

Add the bolded line to configurate shortcut from within K-Meleon

If you already use one of my tools, and take the menu I give with it, you must have something like this:

Outils e&xternes{
%ifplugin macros
:Notepad
:Connection manager
:Cookie Monster
macros(Audio_config,Choose the audio player...)
macros(webShortcut,Configurate shortcuts...)
-
%endif
}

The others entries in Save menu, Link menu and Frame menu are the same as given by kko.

-----------
shortcut.js
-----------
no more needed, can be deleted.

---------------
webShortcut.ini
---------------
automaticly created or modified in profile folder when ok button is clicked

-----------------
What to improve ?
-----------------

1) The title of Link shortcuts and Frame shortcut is not entirely satisfactory,and can be improved for a great part of them by recovering strings like in 'Page Links' menu. By using a script javascript (it's the reason of $sTitle variable)

As I'm not too much courageous to put my hand in javascript script, I hope someone will be smiling smiley

2) The translation of the tool (actually, it automatcly choose between French and other, which means english) in others langs, as for my others tools. If you insist ...

-----
Note:
-----

The tools recovers automaticly the address of K-Meleon in the registry. The value is saved in the ini file. If you want to bypass the registry value (for example when using different K-Meleon's install on the same computer), you just have to change the value in config.
Don't confuse beetween K-Meleon's value and Browser's value in ini file.
K-Meleon's one is for correcting resource:///
and
Browser value is for shortcut icon.

I'm waiting for you opinion about this tool.

A+

Posted by: alain aupeix at wanadoo fr
Date: September 26, 2005 07:50AM

A bug under XP, XP PRO and w2000 when founding Desktop folder will be corrected this evening. >> v 0.11

Works under w9x

A+

Posted by: Midas
Date: September 26, 2005 11:37AM

Weblink for webshortcut dead for me with the follwing error:

"Désolé, vous avez demandé une page qui n'existe pas, ou qui est réservée aux abonnés Wanadoo."

But thanks anyway.

Posted by: Alain NOSPAM Aupeix a Wanadoo
Date: September 26, 2005 01:37PM

Really curious, I have just download now the file. No problem

Is it when downloading the file or accessing to the page ?

If you're under XP, w2k, XP pro wait this evenind, I haven't yet modified the file ...

Date: September 26, 2005 03:22PM

I retried just now with the same result... I guess the error happens on access to the page the link refers to:
http://www.wanadoo.fr/jujuland/kmeleon/index.html

Date: September 26, 2005 03:32PM

Dear Alain! I'm greatly appreciating your ideas and contributions! I'm awaiting a version of your tool working (correctly) on Win2k! A download location accessible to everybody wouldn't be bad (I guess your page is only accessible to Wanadoo members). In the meantime, I want to give you some feedback to think about (to prevent you running into bag ends):

Some thoughts on protocols
--------------------------

The wsh solution doesn't work with resource:/// and wyciwyg:// and probably chrome://. Shortcuts are created, but don't work.

That is not a 'failure' of my script. The 'failure', if any, is that the Windows OS does not know these protocols (by default), and thus is unable to handle them. The reason is, that the protocols "resource://", "wyciwyg://" and "chrome://" are no 'real' protocols (like "http://"; or "ftp://"winking smiley. These protocols might be called 'virtual'. They are to tell the browser to perform a special action, like "mailto:" or "about:" protocol. The "mailto:" protocol however, is known to the Windows OS, and thus Windows knows to handle mailto-links. The protocols "resource://", "wyciwyg://" and "chrome://" are for browser-internal use only:

The "resource://" protocol
is to address local files (resources) in the browser's installation directory. This protocol might be Gecko-only! I don't know, whether MSIE e.g. can handle it. MSIE knows a similar protocol named "res://". It is to address local resources (even within DLLs), too.

The "chrome://" protocol
is to address local chrome resources (within \chrome\*.jar archives). But since only Gecko-driven browsers can have a chrome-based GUI, this protocol is Gecko-only!

The "wyciwyg://" protocol
is something very strange. It might be unique to K-Meleon (I have never observed wyciwyg-addresses in Mozilla). When you see a wyciwyg-address in your K-Meleon, this might be a hint that something went wrong!?

It's easy to correct resource:/// by file://c:\program%file\k-meleon\ ...

Your idea to translate the "resource://" into the "file://" protocol is very nice! The correct translation will depend on your browser's (i.e. K-Meleon's) installation directory (you already know that).

...but I haven't the solution for chrome and wyciwyg

IMO, there is no convincing solution (see above). BTW, have you ever tried to open a "chrome:" or "wyciwyg:" address in K-Meleon by typing it into the address bar? Try it out and look what happens!

Date: September 27, 2005 08:45AM

The wsh solution doesn't work with resource:/// and wyciwyg:// and probably chrome://. Shortcuts are created, but don't work.

I know it's not wsh reason, but it's ennoying.

For resource (your solution is even mine) and wyciwyg (just delete wyciwyg: from the address), it's ok

For chrome, the only way is to create a shortcut of K-Meleon with, as parameter, the address with chrome:
It can be easily done with wsh, but I have now no solution for WebShortcut.

The correction to make WebShortcut with XP, w2k, is about to be finished.

Date: September 27, 2005 08:50AM

Oouuppss ...

I have said something stupid:

It's for view-source: where you have to delete the virtual protocol to make it ok, and not for wyciwyg: where I think it will not be possible.

Date: September 27, 2005 04:00PM

WebShortcut Corrected.

Version 0.11 is now on line and for the test I made works under XP PRO, and I suppose XP and w2k.

I have added to the previous description, the decripted address in crypted mailto (with % coded chars)

Let's try

And I hope that the link address is avalaible to everyone. I have made a try and it's ok, like for Fr3 version where nobody tells me it was not avalaible.

JujuLand

Date: September 28, 2005 04:15PM

Thanks Alain. Manage to download without a problem from your homepage (when clicking the K-Meleon menu button, it is the first in the list of tools shown).

Followed installation instructions, but am stuck with the following error once I try to use the new menu items:

Dialog box title: Error
"The variable 'dir' does not exist. Did you declare it? Is it in scope?"
Button: OK

Then,

Dialog box title: WebShortcut
Syntaxe [...]
Button: OK

This happens even when I choose the "Configure shortcuts" menu item that I also created... Does any solution occur to you?

Date: September 28, 2005 07:48PM

The variable $dir is created (outside of a function) in the section Download macros in macros.cfg

$dir="kmeleon.general.profileDir";

look at this file to see if you have this line.

Here are the macros in my file (I perhaps have made some mistakes in the readme file)

PageToDesktop{
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\"_\"".getpref(STRING,_$dir)."\"_\"".$URL."\"_\"".gsub("\"","'",$TITLE)."\"");
}
LinkToDesktop{
$sTitle = "";
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\"_\"".getpref(STRING,_$dir)."\"_\"".$LinkURL."\"_\"".gsub("\"","'",$sTitle)."\"");
}
FrameToDesktop{
$sTitle = "Cadre de ".$TITLE;
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\"_\"".getpref(STRING,_$dir)."\"_\"".$FrameURL."\"_\"".gsub("\"","'",$sTitle)."\"");
}
webShortcut{
exec("\"tools\\WebShortcut.exe\"_\"".getpref(STRING,_$dir)."\"")
}

I have replace spaces by _ to show you the real syntax.

Don't forget after pasting the macros in your macro file, to remove all the _

The message is normal, because if $dir is empty, there is no parameter, and Web shortcut want 1 or 2 or 3 parameters and not 0

Date: September 29, 2005 10:29AM

Thanks again, Alain: did as instructed and got it to work.

Bearing in mind that it is for me a much valued functionality, I am still not really satisfied with the result. The setup process seems much to convoluted and in the end I am still unsure of results... In the spirit of generalized access could it be made easier?

a. Could the options on the configuration dialog box (and the correspondent webshortcut.ini) be documented individually? The values shown seem bo fluctuate between browser sessions...
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5575/prscrn0011ld.png

b. Could the WebShortcut.txt be made more straightforward about installation steps and inclusive of all information required?

On a first test, I created a link but it came up with the default windows icon - what gives?

I am willing to help, if instructions be provided (possibly more with b. than with a.). Please forgive my dimwitness...

Date: September 29, 2005 11:30AM

With your hardcopy, I can say:

1)There is a problem of Default Browser identification.

The tool read two keys to keep the value
a) HKCR\.Html to keep the type (if K-Meleon is installed ok, returns: K-Meleon.HTML
b) HKCR\<First_Key_found>\DefaultIcon

This error allows to know that or K-Meleon is not installed correctly, or it is not you default browser. In the second case, the defaultIcon doesn't exist.

What is your default browser ?
Can you look at registry to see the values found. ?
Can you tell me the exact strings found in these keys (with space replaced with underscore and " characters ?

2)There is a problem of Default Mailer identification.

The tool read two keys to keep the value.
a) HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail for
b) HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\<First_Key_found>\shell\open\command

What is your OS. ?
What is your default mailer ?
Can you look at registry to see the values found ?
Can you tell me the exact strings found in these keys (with space replaced with underscore and " characters ?

3) It seems you have a bad K-Meleon installation (perhaps just unzipped in a folder) and the key I took to have the info is:

HKCU\Software\K-Meleon\K-Meleon\General\InstallDir

It may be also caused by the fact you have more than one use, and you use K-Meleon from a user which has not installed K-meleon. One way to correct problems 1) and 3) is to run SetDefault (take the english version I modified, it give you the possibility to change the path.

==>> You can correct it manually with search buttons, but I prefer to have the answers before to see if there are bugs. After correction, you can

In the spirit of generalized access could it be made easier?

The install can't be automized, because of existing macros files used and which can have been modified, but I'll see if I haven't make mistakes in the txt files. I'll improve readme file to detail the fields in WebShortcut to make self correction and easier.

On a first test, I created a link but it came up with the default windows icon - what gives?

As Browser is bad filled, and mailer field is not filled, The default icon is the default Url icon, IE.

When your fields will be correctly filled, Your shortcuts will be created with the good icon.

In addition of the previous infos (I don't remember if I gave it in the last zip), the links which haven't a page extension have their shortcut created with the icon of your default program. For example, zip links are created with Izarc icon if your default Zip manager is Izarc.

Thanks to report

Date: September 29, 2005 11:38AM

I have updated my macros at the Wiki. I found a solution to use link text and frame title as shortcut name!

Date: September 29, 2005 12:09PM

Nice ...

Date: September 29, 2005 12:56PM

Some thoughts on shortcut icons
-------------------------------

Urlfile can be improved like this
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=27152&t=27152
IconIndex=2
IconFile=c:\Program Files\K-Meleon\K-Meleon.exe

Sweet, isn't it ?

Sweet, yes! But the sweetness lies in the fact, that this is totally redundant. When K-Meleon is (properly) set up as your default browser (i.e. is associated with the http protocol), the Windows OS will automatically display such a link with the K-Meleon icon. A mailto-link will automatically be displayed with the icon of your default mail client. In general, Windows will automatically display ANY shortcut (whether *.url or *.lnk) with the correct icon. In addition to that, explicitly specifying shortcut icons the way you suggest above, may have negative side effects! Can't imagine? Then think about the following questions:

What will happen to the shortcut, when you set MSIE (just to give an example) as your default browser?
Answer: The shortcut will then open in MSIE but it will still be displayed with the K-Meleon icon.

What will happen to the shortcut, when you remove (uninstall) K-Meleon from your system or when you move the shortcut to another system (wher no K-Meleon is installed or where K-Meleon is installed to a different location)?
Answer: The shortcut will have an invalid icon location and will be displayed with a "blank" default icon.

For example, zip links are created with Izarc icon if your default Zip manager is Izarc.

Think about the following questions:

What will happen, when you double-click this link?
Answer: Your default browser (i.e. your default application for the http protocol) will open up and will ask you where to save (download) the file. Usually, a user who executes a file/link with a Izarc icon will expect that this file/link will open up in Izarc. But here, Izarc is not involved at all! This may be more confusing than helpfull.

In addition to that:

- What will happen to the shortcut, when you...
...set a different application as your default app for *.zip files?
...remove Izarc from your system?
...move the shortcut to another system?

- Right click on your desktop and choose New > Shortcut to create a new shortcut. Enter "http://some.domain/download.zip"; as target location. What icon does this shortcut have?

Date: September 29, 2005 03:40PM

> 1)There is a problem of Default Browser identification.
>
> The tool read two keys to keep the value
> a) HKCR\.Html to keep the type (if K-Meleon is installed ok, returns:
> K-Meleon.HTML
> b) HKCR\<First_Key_found>\DefaultIcon
>
> This error allows to know that or K-Meleon is not installed correctly, or it is not
> you default browser. In the second case, the defaultIcon doesn't exist.
>
> What is your default browser ?
> Can you look at registry to see the values found. ?
> Can you tell me the exact strings found in these keys (with space replaced with
> underscore and " characters ?

KM IS my default browser. Registry export follows with spaces edited ( /space/ = '_' ).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="K-Meleon.HTML"
"Content'_'Type"="text/html"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="K-Meleon.HTML"
"Content'_'Type"="text/html"

> 2)There is a problem of Default Mailer identification.
>
> The tool read two keys to keep the value.
> a) HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail for
> b) HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\<First_Key_found>\shell\open\command
>
> What is your OS. ?
> What is your default mailer ?
> Can you look at registry to see the values found ?
> Can you tell me the exact strings found in these keys (with space replaced with
> underscore and " characters ?

Please see
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3134/prscrn0015nf.png
(Registry export too long to post here, but will send it if asked for).

I'm using XP Pro SP2 and my default mailer is OExpress.

> 3) It seems you have a bad K-Meleon installation (perhaps just unzipped in a
> folder) and the key I took to have the info is:
>
> HKCU\Software\K-Meleon\K-Meleon\General\InstallDir

Registry export:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\K-Meleon\K-Meleon\General]
"InstallDir"="D:\\Program Files\\K-Meleon"

> It may be also caused by the fact you have more than one use, and you use
> K-Meleon from a user which has not installed K-meleon. One way to correct
> problems 1) and 3) is to run SetDefault (take the english version I modified, it give
> you the possibility to change the path.
>
> ==>> You can correct it manually with search buttons, but I prefer to have the
> answers before to see if there are bugs. After correction, you can

Neither scenario really describes my situation, but I haven't run setdefault prior or after this report, but when I first installed KM WB several months I chose the option to make it the default browser...

Thanks for your patience.

Date: September 29, 2005 07:19PM

Midas,
----------

Please see
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3134/prscrn0015nf.png
(Registry export too long to post here, but will send it if asked for).

I see you use Outlook express, but I'm interested by the content of the key:
HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook'_'Express>\shell\open\command

The error was due to the fact that with w98se, Clients key is under HKLM

A little test and it will be ok for that point

I'm very suprised by the '%1' found for the Browser..

Can you tell me the content of HROOT\K-Meleon.HTML ?

kko,
------
When K-Meleon is (properly) set up as your default browser (i.e. is associated with the http protocol), the Windows OS will automatically display such a link with the K-Meleon icon. A mailto-link will automatically be displayed with the icon of your default mail client. In general, Windows will automatically display ANY shortcut (whether *.url or *.lnk) with the correct icon.

No, for URL, I always have IE icon, with w98se, w2k and XP Pro.

What will happen to the shortcut, when you set MSIE (just to give an example) as your default browser?
Answer: The shortcut will then open in MSIE but it will still be displayed with the K-Meleon icon.

Yes, and for all the browsers you can use.

What will happen to the shortcut, when you remove (uninstall) K-Meleon from your system or when you move the shortcut to another system (wher no K-Meleon is installed or where K-Meleon is installed to a different location)?
Answer: The shortcut will have an invalid icon location and will be displayed with a "blank" default icon.

Yes, and it's the same when you create a program icon and you then uninstall the program.

- Right click on your desktop and choose New > Shortcut to create a new shortcut. Enter "http://some.domain/download.zip"; as target location. What icon does this shortcut have?

Internet Explorer. And if I launch it, I open K-Meleon. Do you think it's a good thing ? Is-it a bug? I don't think, and it's the same reason which make the sript function to create web Shortcut doesn't allows to specify icon.Bill wants the people to know that IE is the best...

Yet, I'm about to improve WebShortcut:

1) A button to let windows choose the icon (program and icon will then not be included in .url creation.

2) Perhaps: A button to clear the shortcut of their Program and icon info (for example those which are on the desktop and/or another folder).

3) A way to create shortcut from selected text.

4) a way to create lnk shortcut to allow, for example, to open a link with IE. I'm not crazy, I hate IE, but I'm often ennoyed when I have shortcut or bookmarks which only works with IE (at work, often). In this case, I now must launch the link which doen't work with Kmeleon, copy the address, open IE, and paste it in the IE address bar. With this new feature, I just have to create a shortcut to IE, reduce K-Meleon, and launch the lnk shortcut.

Date: September 30, 2005 10:43AM

> I see you use Outlook express, but I'm interested by the content of the key:
> HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook'_'Express>\shell\open\command

Registry export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook'_'Express\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\
00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,4f,00,75,00,74,00,6c,00,6f,00,6f,00,6b,00,20,00,\
45,00,78,00,70,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,69,00,6d,00,6e,\
00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,00,00

> Can you tell me the content of HROOT\K-Meleon.HTML ?

I am not sure I understand the question: K-Meleon.HTML is the REG_SZ string value for the default key for My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html ...

Date: September 30, 2005 12:47PM

|i]I see you use Outlook express, but I'm interested by the content of the key:
HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook'_'Express>\shell\open\command[/i]

Very curious, because under my XP PRO 2002 SP2 the Clients key is under HKLM.
And the key type is REG_EXPAND_SZ and its value is:
%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\Msimn.exe

I am not sure I understand the question: K-Meleon.HTML is the REG_SZ string value for the default key for My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html ...

For Km, we first search .html which gives in @ the default master-type
Then we search the master-type to find the syntax of the program opening this file type.

For exemple, .html has K-Meleon.HTML
and K-Meleon.HTML gives the syntax when opening at the key

HROOT\K-Meleon\Shell\Open\Command gives:
"C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\K-Meleon.exe"_"%1"

It's that I want you give me.

Can someone confirm if Clients is under HKLM or HKCU ?

Date: September 30, 2005 04:39PM

Under XP PRO, mailer list seems to be under Local, and user choice under Current User.

So I don't understand why list seems to be under Current User.

Confirm ?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.