General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Default browser
Posted by: Robert Cook III
Date: January 29, 2002 07:50PM

I have set the file associations on my computer to see K-Meleon as the htm/html default, but in searching all the references, I haven't found any info on actually setting K-M as my default browser. Where do I find the setting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Default browser
Posted by: Deft
Date: January 29, 2002 08:18PM

It's in folder options | file types, as "URL:Hypertext etc", if you mean for starting when a URL is called.

Posted by: Greg Bair
Date: January 30, 2002 08:43PM

I call for making this an option in new versions of k-meleon, like netscape does under its advanced options.

Greg

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 30, 2002 08:50PM

Greg,

Please submit an RFE in the bugs department (under the site menu).

Andrew

Posted by: Angry man
Date: February 03, 2002 12:09AM

An annoying and aggressive way of pushing a product, disguised as a service.
I don't like it one bit.

Posted by: po
Date: February 03, 2002 02:13AM

well, yeah... that's why it's probably better NOT to offer to let k-meleon make itself the default during install, but provide a way of doing it afterwards, if someone decides they really WANT to.

Posted by: SlideRule
Date: February 03, 2002 03:38AM

There is a freeware program that I have used, that will allow you to 'select' a browser, including, Netscape, IE, Opera/Other. This is where K-Meleon (Other) can be set. The program (freeware) will make the registry changes for default web browser. The program name is SetBrowser 1.4

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/freeware/gui/

Posted by: Greg Bair
Date: February 03, 2002 06:13PM

Definitely. I would not want software to make itself the default during installation, but I would like a way to do it if I feel it's worth it.

Date: February 03, 2002 06:33PM

incidentally, i just heard back form the setbrowser author, who doesn't sound too enthusiastic about it's future, but allowed as maybe a 'don't set DDE' option could be added to better support apps like k-meleon... a little encouragement might help...

Posted by: Myen
Date: February 05, 2002 06:41AM

[I hope I'm not double posting...]

Actually, I was bored and browsing the CVS...
looks like the installer on there (Install\k-meleon.nsi) sets it. However, it also references K-Meleon 0.45... I guess that's kinda old. I wonder what the current installer looks like, since it's probably possible to make that do things for us.

Alternatively, if we _really_ want to (I'm actually kinda against this), I suppose it would be possible to have the macros plugin support registry writes smiling smiley That's going kinda bloated though, even if it does simply move the registry stuff from somewhere else that would use it anyway.

Date: February 05, 2002 07:16AM

hmmm... anybody tried running a .reg file from an exec() macro?

i haven't...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.