Re: K-Meleon Update
Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 14, 2005 09:05PM

A while ago after updating all my files to 1.7.8 I moved the compreg.dat file out of the directory and then run K-meleon and it generated precisely the same file again. (I run "fc" on them). This method isn't 100% effective for updating.

Also a tip for copying over and replacing only files that K-Meleon already has, as suggested by guenter up top, use xcopy...

"xcopy /U /Y /R <Mozilla 1.7.8 directory> <K-meleon equivalent directory>"

/U Copies only files that already exist in destination.
/Y Suppresses prompting to overwrite
/R Overwrites read-only files

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 14, 2005 09:37PM

hi AL- i am doing this since - late w-b or early beta 0.9. i use norton clone.
called eXec good free software (but German)

we - possibly need more files than Brian used - my conservative update
(many files- needs more than 100 files depending on taste = level of security desired)
= about 3.5 mb.- Brianss less than 1mb -his is from my personal view sufficiant - but....-
if i am wrong?lets use bigger update, else - lets ask Ulf 4 prof.ed update or counsel?

23.25 hours here - = soon away from keys - greetz 2 australia, guenter

p. s. try - del *.dat delete in componets. then copy over my update.
(then we beta test result untill Monday - greetz)

Date: May 15, 2005 10:45AM

@Andrew - that bat command is a nifty idea to update Chrome - thx 4 tip.
I will update & post updated Chrome after testing it a day or so. regards

Re: Chatting about: K-Meleon Update
Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 17, 2005 05:32AM

Guenter,

I am very curious about exactly which files are "must have" to update K-Meleon properly.

What I really liked about Brian's first executable was the fact that it was painless to use. Forgetting for the moment on exactly how many files are optimal, the method of updating was so good that I would like to see it emulated for all the upgrades which are designed to work on top of an existing application.

I mean the idea of a PATCH upgrade is the Holy Grail for incremental bugfixes, etc., in my opinion. It is one of the complaints that everybody has made about Seamonkey and FireFox for just about forever and has been used as justification by Internet Explorer fans for not using any other browser. I like both the idea and the implementation.

N

Posted by: everling
Date: May 17, 2005 08:14AM

So is the necko stuff the core of the gecko engine? Is it that and the ipc stuff that needs to be replaced to get a GRE 1.7.8?

Date: May 19, 2005 05:09AM

no idea; but imho the ipc stuff can be deled without noticable effect (?)
neck = net stuff ? - i wished we found us a book that says what each dll and other file
does.

the components, xpcom and xpt (last = interfaces to use other dats) are replaced.
since i do not normally know which has fault and which must work together i exchanged the whole GRE.

in some cases mozilla or secunia mentioned which files where effected.

Posted by: AnotherGuest.
Date: September 27, 2005 04:12PM

Thanks. It seems to work. To fix the documentation I suggest:

1. Put it where it can be found. It's thoroughly buried several inconspicuous layers deep in the wiki.
2. Fix that statement about the chrome\toolkit.jar path. I've never seen a path statement that looked like that.
3. Reword to omit references to specific versions unless you want to update the article with each revision. Even now it has references to versions 1.7.11, 1.7.12, and I think 1.7.10.
4. Include the batch file. It's very helpful, although I can't vouch for it as I didn't use it directly.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 27, 2005 10:09PM

Thanks. It seems to work. To fix the documentation I suggest:

1. Put it where it can be found. It's thoroughly buried several inconspicuous layers deep in the wiki.

Well it is a tutorial on how to do something, so I placed the link in the Wiki under the Tutorials section: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=Tutorials
The link to Tutorials can be accessed from the front page, as with most links.

2. Fix that statement about the chrome\toolkit.jar path. I've never seen a path statement that looked like that.

Well technically it is a "folder", just an archived one. I'll look into changing it later on, maybe make it more "DOS like".

3. Reword to omit references to specific versions unless you want to update the article with each revision. Even now it has references to versions 1.7.11, 1.7.12, and I think 1.7.10.

Done. I can't change Holger's webpage as it is his responsibility. He'll just have to alter the reference to v1.7.10 himself. Currently the tutorial now only references v1.7.12 (even mentioning Brian's labelling issue).

As for updating the tutorial with each issue, well it only takes seconds to alter. No biggie there.

4. Include the batch file. It's very helpful, although I can't vouch for it as I didn't use it directly.

I could, but I haven't even tried it myself. As it is therefore untested, I don't want to include it as of yet because somebody might start complaining that it didn't work for them. But having said that, if somebody does indeed want to test out Holger's batch file and report back that it works Ok, I'll add it then.

Thanks for your input. smiling smiley

Posted by: Carson
Date: September 27, 2005 10:22PM

Sounds very reasonable.

Thanks, Al

Date: September 28, 2005 04:59AM

The bat for updating chrome?
it has been used.
& works.

& would also work to update browser dll.

problem can be that not all DOS commands work are exactly the same on differnt Windows versions. - not sure about the commands for xcopy.

actually some bat is at my release notes at:
http://home.htp-tel.de/sterntaler/ww2.html

i can also post the command that joines xpt - case any wants them
(but this has a habbit of occassionaly failing for me on dos based win ME).

Well technically it is a "folder", just an archived one.
they are zips with a file structure inside.
perhaps the author assumed all know.

(with a little change in syntax that addresses them
You could also use them as folders).

Posted by: GuestAMundo
Date: September 28, 2005 01:44PM

I recently tried the Gecko update as specified above. Although it seemed to work fine, I noticed that the size of my KM program folders increased dramatically, from about 13MB for KM 0.9 as downloaded, to over 23MB for the Mozilla 1.7.12 update -- and that's with me only copying specific DLLs, not the indicated total, quick/dirty method. All sorts of files that did not seem necessary for basic surfing with KM seemed to migrate in with the Components extraction. Can anyone tell me if I can do a bare-bones update for security, but keep a smaller KM footprint? FYI I run Win98SE, I use KM for graphics-intensive sessions, don't need anything fancy like media playback, Java or Jscript, etc. Thanks!

Posted by: Carson
Date: September 28, 2005 01:59PM

As I run K-Meleon with Brian Bruns' update, it uses 55 MB on disk.

It seems to me, though, that someone did do an absolute minimal K-M maybe a few months ago; you might try snooping around in Search here, and see what you can find.

Apart from that, I think Douglas might have some ideas, because he has done very well in creating portable K-Meleons.

There have been a few people interested in just how small K-Meleon can be made, and I think their work might be of help; then you could simply add in any specific components you wanted.

Plus I think your own results will be of interest to others with the same interest. Good luck. :-)

Date: September 28, 2005 02:09PM

U can use the folders that are updated from an updated private issue.
else like Carson says.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: September 28, 2005 02:25PM

My raw 0.9 official install (kept for testing purposes) is 15M, my ME0.04r install is about 16M, my ME0.04original install is around 40M (however, I have a second profile there, and some extra skins, and some other junk files, which all take up extra space). These numbers are all with the cache folders removed.

Date: September 28, 2005 02:32PM

agreed k-m have about 16 & plus extra 4 skins and profiles (containing cache).

Mozilla chromes are not zipped like k-m´s but archive which account for some space.
plus k-m chromes contain less files.

Posted by: AnotherGuest.
Date: September 28, 2005 03:01PM

Al wrote,
"Well it is a tutorial on how to do something, so I placed the link in the Wiki under the Tutorials section: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=Tutorials
The link to Tutorials can be accessed from the front page, as with most links."

I followed the links to see how it would go. Tutorials is not where I would look for info on updates. The update info is there, however, at the bottom under "Miscellaneous". Why not under "Updates"?

Even assuming I would think to look in the wiki for update information, wven when I find the Wiki index, the "updates" section has no info on this. It's also not in the news section, or the FAQ. It's nowhere to be found on the site except on the wiki and the forum, but I guess if those are the only part of the site you can control, the wiki will have to do. Those little links where it says "tutorial" are also nearly invisible, especially after you have clicked once. Hard to find, I'd say.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 28, 2005 09:50PM

It's also not in the news section

Fixed. Also very minor tweaks to the page itself :-)

Posted by: BrokenUnity
Date: October 21, 2005 11:18AM

Does Firefox use the same GRE engine? Is it more up to date than Mozilla 1.7.x?

Thanks...

Posted by: Fred
Date: October 21, 2005 11:57AM

They are all at the same level, the releases follow each other fast.
K-Meleon id often in front, because the unofficial versions often
are built on Mozilla nightlies that are made between the official
new numbered releases of Mozilla.
Mozilla does not develop new features anymore, the releases
are pure security updates, which are followed by K-Meleon.
Mozilla's new 1.8/1.9 branch is now developped in Seamonkey,
which is still in a beta state, as well as Firefox 1.5. Their development
is used by the experimental K-Meleons built now mainly by
Dorian (based on 1.8/1.9).
The 1.7.x based K-Meleons are security updates for the
1.7.5 official version, now at 1.7.12 (as Mozilla), this matches
also Firefox 1.0.6 .

Fred

Date: October 21, 2005 12:14PM

neither more modern nor older than FF.

we use the same as ff and Mozilla - but have no official but forum based updating.

for k-m 0.9 curently we use GRE 1.7.12 for updating ( AFAIK = ff 1.07).

p. s. also like FF people we want to base next major version on SeaMonkey GRE.

we use the same Mozilla GRE but not the firefox but the main Suite version which we make smaller to about the size of FF - ( almost the same with chrome ).

We post updates in special threads in forum.
Two good update lines are:
Brian Bruns (smaller)
kko (more complete - plus also available in German)

& several that post the updated browser theme they use themselves for others that lack: desire, time or skill to update themselves.

These themed updates are available in several languages: e. g. Spanish (new)

Posted by: Fred
Date: October 21, 2005 07:20PM

Yes, Firefox has now 1.0.7 as the according version.
Fred

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.