General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Java
Posted by: Kurt
Date: January 06, 2002 04:05PM

I've netscape v4.78 running on my win89SE. NS has its own java 1.1.5 in the
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\java folder. Is there a way that K-M can catch up on that, too? Because when I install JRE 1.3.1_02 K-M runs fine on websites with java stuff, but NS produces a fatal error more sooner than later on those sites. Occasionally, I've even to reboot afterwards.
After uninstalling JRE NS runs fine again, but not K-M. I had the same issue already with opera.
Appreciate any advice.
Kurt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Java
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 06, 2002 05:55PM

Kurt,

We haven't tested K-Meleon with that version of JRE and I'm not sure that it could handle it. Where are you installing the new version of JRE?

Andrew

Date: January 06, 2002 07:11PM

In the default folder c:\program files\java.
Kurt

Date: January 06, 2002 08:01PM

Kurt,

Enter about:plugins in the URL bar and see if K-Meleon lists the older JRE files.

Andrew

Date: January 06, 2002 09:33PM

No, it doesn't. But NS doesn't either and works nonetheless.

Kurt

Date: January 07, 2002 03:00PM

Kurt,

I think the difference is in how NS and K-Meleon handle Java. NS appears to have its own Java Machine where K-Meleon relies on JRE to handle Java. If K-Meleon doesn't "see" the JRE, it has no way to handle applets.

Are you sure that it is the new version of JRE that is causing problems with NS? I've had NS crash out on many Java sites even without JRE installed.

Andrew

Date: January 07, 2002 09:44PM

Whether it's the new or just the fact that there is an other version than the 'built-in' java of NS is causing the problem do I not know. But whenever this other version is uninstalled again, NS works on those java sites again as well.

Kurt

Posted by: Rob
Date: January 07, 2002 10:57PM

I'm new to K-Meleon but I love its speed.
I have just installed the latest download
However it does'n't run any Java appllets.
What am I doing wrong, or is there some setting I need to adjust.

Date: January 07, 2002 11:00PM

Rob,

Do you have JRE installed? See:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#plugins4

Andrew

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 08, 2002 05:40PM

I have 4.78 installed on my machine also.
Normally it uses the built in Java support, unless a web programmer calls for another version.
Therefor I installed JRE 1.3.1 as well (also for Mozilla support)

I have no problems or crashes in NS 4.78

Below is the result of my About:plugins

So you can see what plugins are needed to be brought over to the NS 4.78 plugin directory.

Concerning K-M I didn't need to bring them over to the K-M plugin directory. For some reason it finds the plugins in the JRE/1.31 directory. Maybe because I have Mozilla installed on the same machine.

Hope this can help a bit.

Bernard

-------installed plugins in NS 4.78-----------

Java Plug-in

File name: C:\My\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\plugins\NPJava32.dll

Java Plug-in 1.3.1 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type
Description
Suffixes
Enabled
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1
Java Applet
Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2
Java Applet
Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3
Java Applet
Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: C:\My\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\plugins\NPJava131.dll

Mime Type
Description
Suffixes
Enabled
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.3.1
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.3.1
Java Applet
Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: C:\My\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\plugins\NPJava12.dll

Mime Type
Description
Suffixes
Enabled
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2
Java Applet
Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3
Java Applet
Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2
Java Applet
Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: C:\My\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\plugins\NPJava11.dll

Mime Type
Description
Suffixes
Enabled
application/x-java-bean
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet
Java Applet
Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1
Java Applet
Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1
JavaBeans
Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1
Java Applet
Yes

Date: January 08, 2002 06:39PM

Bernard,

K-Meleon, like Mozilla, will look for your JRE installation and recognize it without it being installed in the K-Meleon directory.

Andrew

Date: January 08, 2002 07:08PM

Andrew,

Thanks for the explanation.
Although I am happy having the Java support, I feel better when knowing how things are working.

If KM and Mozilla can find Java plugins, is there a way that KM finds other plugins like for realplayer?
Does this need extra coding?

Bernard

Date: January 08, 2002 07:28PM

Bernard,

That would depend on what Mozilla does. K-Meleon's ability to recognize plugins comes from the Mozilla code. Generally, if the plugin is supported in Mozilla and is copied to K-Meleon's plugin directory, it will recognize it.

Andrew

Date: January 08, 2002 10:44PM

Andrew,

In NS 4.x and later in Mozilla and now in KM, plugins have always been a dark area for me.

Right now, Moz 0.9.7 has only the npnul32.dll in it's plugin directory. About:plugins find this one and the schockwave one, wich is in the plugin directory od NS 4.78. And yet when in Moz 0.9.7 and clicking on a realplayer object, Moz presents me a window, whether I want to play the file directly with realplayer of save it to disk.

With NS 4.78 and clicking on a realplayer object, realplayer starts directly to play the file. There is no realplayer plugin in NS 4.78 plugin directory neither and about:plugins don't show any sign of it.

With KM, when clicking on a realplayer object, I get a window and I can only save the file to disk. I have then to invoke realplayer by hand and select that file to play. About:plugins gives me the Java plugins found in the JRE\1.31 directory, the schockwave one in the NS 4.78 plugin directory and the npnul32.dll in KM's plugin directory.

So the implementations are apparently not quite the same.

Maybe some day I will understand.

Bernard

Date: January 09, 2002 10:30AM

Thanks everbody for all the replys.

I guess I've found out what's causing the crashes with NS 4.78 and an installed JRE (or at least how I can avoid them):

If there is no JRE installed, in NS's edit-preferences-advanced is the checkbox for 'enable java plugins' grayed out (inactive).
After an JRE (j2re-1_3_1_02-win-i.exe) installation this checkbox becomes active and checked.
While browsing with that on a "java-infected" website, NS crashes.
Uncheck 'enable java plugins' and the very same website (www.tv-regensdorf.ch) causes no crash.
Propably NS is trying to access both the JRE and the built-in plugins at the same time for the same applet??

Anyway, www.tv-regensdorf.ch seems to be a good website for java chrash tests. Even K-M crashes sometimes when swiching back and forth between the different pages on this site, at least on my WinNT at work (not yet found out why).

Kurt

Posted by: Dennis
Date: January 11, 2002 05:24AM

I have it installed from Sun and seen it in about and my applet is rocking and rolling and shaking.
http://dennis.psws.net/FauxBrowser/frames.html
click on the Search icon there.
MAYBE it is all because I do not have Netscape on my computer.
I always hated Netscape.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.