K-Meleon 0.9b4 UserAgent woes
Posted by: beanboy89
Date: December 19, 2004 12:41PM

Hi everyone,
I just downloaded K-Meleon 0.9 Beta4, and I have to say it has much inproved since version 0.8.2. Although, I have one issue... When I typed "about:" or want to Help > About K-Meleon, and viewed the About page, my UserAgent string appeared as "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.4) Gecko/20041010 K-Meleon/0.9b4". I find this strange because I am using Windows 98, not Windows 2000 as the UserAgent would suggest. I went and did some more exploring through the Prefences and found the Edit > Prefences> Privacy > Browser Identifaction, I noticed the field read "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.4) Gecko/20041010 K-Meleon/0.9b4" the Windows 2000 string. I then selected Default from the drop down box and the UserAent field turned blank. I checked Help > About K-Meleon, and my UserAgent now reads "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.4) Gecko/20041010 K-Meleon/0.9b", with correct "Win98" text. Now, to confuse matters even worse, I visited Tools > UserAgent > Browser Identy and the box reads "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.4) Gecko/20041010 K-Meleon/0.9b4", the Windows 2000 string. What's going on with this?
Thanks,
Billy.

Re: K-Meleon 0.9b4 UserAgent woes
Posted by: jsnj
Date: December 19, 2004 02:17PM

What's going on with this?

Just faulty macro scripting, or the limits of macros. Not sure which one applies yet :-). The macro'd UA switcher in menus reads from the prefs file. I'm not sure where the coded UA switcher(Edit-Preferences-Privacy) reads the Default string from. Unfortunately, the macros plugin can only read from the prefs file. I'll see if I can find a workaround or a way for the macros script to correctly convey a users specific Windows version. Anyone have any pointers?

Re: K-Meleon 0.9b4 UserAgent woes
Posted by: efosb
Date: December 20, 2004 06:47AM

well, just to note, to me i dont see any reason the useragent has to report the OS properly. i mean websites arent optimised for different OS's. but it is odd it does that. i didnt notice anything cuz im on 2000, lol.

Re: K-Meleon 0.9b4 UserAgent woes
Posted by: beanboy89
Date: January 03, 2005 06:18AM

An update:
I just tried the new K-Meleon 0.9 RC1, and the problem with the default UserAgent appears to be fixed, at least for me. Right after I installed 0.9 RC1, I typed "about:" in to the Location bar, and the UserAgent was "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041220 K-Meleon/0.9" with correct "Win98" text. Also in Edit > Prefances > Privacy > Browser Identifaction, "Default" is now a blank field. And in Tools > User Agent menu when I select "K-Meleon (Default)" the UserAgent remains correct with the "Win98" part.
Thanks,
Billy.

Re: K-Meleon 0.9b4 UserAgent woes
Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 03, 2005 06:36AM

Yes, an additional macro command(delpref) was created to allow this. It's only available in RC1 & above.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.