General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Installing Shockwave
Posted by: CK Watts
Date: December 18, 2001 11:29PM

Has anyone been able to install shockwave? I can get Flash 5 to install to the plug-ins directory just fine. However, when I try to do that with the full Shockwave setup (I was able to get the thing to download by switching the browser ID to Netscape) it requests that I install it to a Netscape plugins directory, which does not exist.

So help, please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing Shockwave
Posted by: Andres
Date: December 19, 2001 11:33AM

Shockwave works fine with K-M in most cases.

Make a fake netscape.exe in your K-Meleon directory. That should do it for Shockwave.

In addition, for all kinds of 3rd party plugins, it would be great to have the following fake directories:

C:\Program Files\Netscape
C:\Program Files\Netscape\communicator\program (with fake netscape.exe in it)
C:\Program Files\Netscape\communicator\program\plugins
C:\Program Files\Netscape\navigator\program (with fake netscape.exe in it)
C:\Program Files\Netscape\navigator\plugins

Many Netscape plugins copy themselves into the two above-referred "plugins" directories and the np*.* files can be copied from there to K-Meleon\Plugins. This will facilitate the installation of many plugins that look for those directories before installation.

Posted by: jean-luc
Date: December 19, 2001 02:29PM

Hi !
I also tried to install Flash player 5; with a fake netscape.exe, it seems to install, but it doesnot work, and it doesnot appear in the plugins list.
the dll is in the KM plugins directory.
is there anything else to do ?
Thanks for any idea !

Posted by: Andres
Date: December 20, 2001 07:12PM

If nothing works, save your present configuration in K-Meleon, uninstall it, reinstall it and then install Shockwave and other possible plugins. I have discovered that K-Meleon is very polite in NOT messing too much with my registry, so reinstalling should not be a problem. The configuration is mostly in the folder with your profile. If you have changed defaults, you should also save that folder.

Posted by: Donny_S
Date: December 22, 2001 02:36AM

Yeah, I ran into the same "brick wall". What I did was download a no-java copy of Opera, then went to the (www.macromedia.com/downloads) site and got the shockwave installer, then installed into the Opera/program/plugins folder. Then, I moved the files (np32dsw.dll, and the Shockvave class file) over to the kmeleon plugins folder. The Tetris game launches fine with kmeleon.

Posted by: CK Watts
Date: December 24, 2001 01:54AM

Hey, I got shockwave to work, but it was weird. I used the fake netscape.exe in the K-Meleon to fool the install to install, but it would not work. Even though all of the shockwave plugin files were in K-Meleon's plugin folder. In desperation, well experimentation really, I went to www.shockwave.com and the web site reinstalled shockwave and now it works. I'm beginning to wonder if shockwave is worth it.
I know that K-Meleon is though.

Posted by: Donny_S
Date: December 24, 2001 08:16PM

The K-M program main icon is only 181 KB. It might be possible to create another folder called 'program', and put a copy (not a shortcut) of the main icon in there and rename it 'Netscape'. Then in this new 'program' folder, place the plugins folder in there with the new renamed app icon. That's a spoofing trick that the Opera browser uses. I've never actually tried it with K-M though.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.