General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mozilla - just curious
Posted by: iskyva
Date: November 21, 2001 10:22PM

Was I missing something with Mozilla? I could never save webpages in a readable [to me ] format - but I can with K-Meleon.
Also curious - if a user who didn't have Mozilla, d/loaded K-Meleon & installed, what would happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozilla - just curious
Posted by: ryuu
Date: November 21, 2001 10:27PM

What do you mean, what would happen? smiling smiley I installed K-Meleon on my home machine today and it works just fine (ok, had to download Msvcp60.dll to get Netscape Bookmarks to work), and this machine has never seen Mozilla.
On my work machine, I had Mozilla 0.9.6 installed before I installed K-Meleon, no problems there (don't even know if I would need the dll there, didn't install plugins at work). I never really used Mozilla though, the user interface is just way too slow.

Posted by: vukv
Date: November 21, 2001 10:33PM

k-meleon is standalone browser, u dont have to have mozilla nstalled

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 21, 2001 11:06PM

Right - K-Meleon is built on a stripped-down version of Mozilla. It includes all of the files necessary to do your basic browsing.

Andrew

Posted by: iskyva
Date: November 22, 2001 03:42AM

Didn't know this -guess it might have been the K-Meleon screenshots had me thinking that Mozilla had to be installed.
K-Meleon's brilliant, I love it & am using it 100% of the time.
Now I'm thinking of uninstalling Mozilla. Have never had NetScape.

Posted by: po
Date: November 22, 2001 04:10AM

i've never had netscape or mozilla installed... it's funny - NS/Moz users who try out k-meleon seem to be impressed with it's speed, in general (and frustrated with the way it handles bookmarks, sometimes) and IE users are amazed to discover how many badly-written pages there are out there... ;-)

Posted by: SbooX
Date: November 22, 2001 05:27AM

If I'm not mistaken the first version (or two) either required you to have a particular Mozilla milestone installed or else you had to do a large download. I think it was like 16 megs. It was less than a meg to d/l if you already had Mozilla.

Date: November 22, 2001 05:53PM

That's right. The early versions did use more of the Mpzilla milestone. Now, we are a self-supporting browser.

Andrew

Posted by: vukv
Date: November 23, 2001 10:07AM

po: i really never had any issues with latest versions of gecko... i fail to see why everyone keep repeating how pages are seen better/worse with IE or Gecko... sure table's border bacgkround might look slightly different in IE but I wouldnt know that unless I tried IE ;-)... so its all pretty much a hoax tongue sticking out smiley

sure some ppl had issues previously with gecko based browser but most webmasters went it and fixed their html...it is just that gecko is a bit more picky sometimes about things it likes, it should be better as it goes towards 1.0

Posted by: po
Date: November 23, 2001 10:12PM

yeah, i didn't mean there was anything really bad about gecko... just that a lot of webmasters DIDN'T fix their pages, and there's still a lot of IE-oriented stuff out there... it might take a while for that to change. that's all.

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 24, 2001 06:52AM

the biggest IE only thing I see most often is style="cursor:hand" there is no such thing as a hand cursor, the CSS specs state the cursor is "pointer" style="cursor:pointer" works fine in kmeleon, IE, mozilla, opera, and every other CSS loving browser.

Posted by: anvilSoup
Date: November 27, 2001 11:01AM

AAAHHHH that's what the hand pointer is REALLY called!
YES! now my page works!!

Although there seems to be a bug with the way gecko handles div padding... it seems to add them instead of subtract them from the width and height so the boxes turn out bigger...

Either that or my code is screwy. If anyone can give me a hand, (or should i say pointer!) check out http://www.burwoodatfive.com

Date: November 27, 2001 02:18PM

anvil,

Have you been designing your web pages with CSS and then looking at them in IE? IE has a major bug in how it handled the "box model". I think that was finally fixed in IE 6. The W3C specs are not entirely intuitive here. Look at this and see if it helps make sense of it all:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/journey/

Make sure to read the sections on inside and outside the box.

Andrew

Posted by: anvilSoup
Date: November 29, 2001 01:55PM

Wow thanks. I'm reading it now, and that bit about sniffing glue, well i might have to try it. it's not easy to understand! Although I think Mozilla still has it a bit wrong... the menu consists of a DIV inside a DIV, so the available width of the inner DIV should exclude the padding of the outer DIV (by inheritance). i'm running IE6 in strict mode and it works correctly....

For instance, a DIV P tag with justification would justify until it reached the padding, so a DIV DIV tag should also extend until it reaches the padding. should I raise the point as a mozilla bug?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.