General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
java and browser id
Posted by: Elvio Pederzolli
Date: November 18, 2001 07:02AM

hi i am having trouble with some java applets - some seem to work ok others do not
I have checked to see if the jre is installed using the about:plugins command and it is
In preferences edit/preferences/privacy i set browser id to Default but when i come back to the menu option that line is blank again and i have to re set it - but every time i look at that menu option the browser id line is still blank.

Could this be why i am having trouble with some java applets ?

I have tried this on windows 98, windows NT and windows 2000 professional with the same result.

I am using kmeleon version 0.6

Any ideas

Elvio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: java and browser id
Posted by: po
Date: November 18, 2001 07:29AM

when you view the edit/preferences/privacy settings, the field for the browser ID is blank if you set it to default previously... this is normal behavior, and i believe it's because the setting is used only to override the default browser ID; if you set it to 'default', the setting simply 'goes away', and the browser uses it's default user agent string. whether this has anything to do with your java problems is beyond me... i suppose some sites may want to see a certain user agent string before they'll feed you java applets - did you try setting the ID to, say, netscape 6.x ? that may make the servers happy.

beyond that, someone else who knows something about java will have to help you. =)

--- po

Re: java and browser id
Posted by: po
Date: November 20, 2001 11:50AM

ah, well... according to <a href="http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=1305&t=1305">this thread</a>, setting your browser ID to default is what makes the java runtime thinger happy, so you'll want to ignore my suggestion to change it. hopefully there aren't any cases where you'd need the one setting to make the local java setup work, but a different one to get the site to 'play ball' with you.

has anyone ever found this to be the case? just curious.

--- po

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.