General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Download Folder
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: May 04, 2015 08:08AM

Maybe I am misunderstanding someting ...

I suppose if I define a specific Download Folder in Preferences ... File Handling, this folder should be used as default for downloads.

However, KM 75 permanently uses the Windows download folder ...

My additional question:
The path of the Download Folder in preferences probably is not relative (for portable use ... with other drive letters). Is there a way to have a download Folder allowing portable use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Download Folder
Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 04, 2015 12:18PM

If you do not define a specific download folder and check "Ask where to save the file", you can change the path during the download dialog. The next download dialog should use the same path.

I don't think that you make the path relative.

I am involved in a discussion of this subject in another thread. Look at this post and the one just before it.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,132917,133492,page=6#msg-133492

Posted by: siria
Date: May 04, 2015 06:52PM

Zvonko
The path of the Download Folder in preferences probably is not relative (for portable use ... with other drive letters). Is there a way to have a download Folder allowing portable use?

1) For portable paths you can cheat a bit :cool: Just start the path with the target subfolder inside the KM directory, without any harddisk path given, similar like bookmarks folders are defined. Example just "KM-download". That configuration doesn't seem to work via pref sheet, which insists on the file picker, but it does work when entering such a path manually, have just tested in RC2. Define it either in about:config or via a js-file in the profile.

2) The path of the "last saved" folder can be reset at every startup if you write it in your "user.js" in current profile folder (Edit>Config>User settings). That file is for user startup prefs, what I only learned last year grinning smiley

Add something like this to your user.js
user_pref("kmeleon.download.saveDir", "KM-download");

Am just afraid it probably won't work on *your* machine, if it always starts with the windows path for some weird reason :-/ Perhaps it does have to do with a bug, or something else, no idea.
But suspects it's just a pref? Perhaps something set in about:downloads page, or in your default prefs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 06:55PM by siria.

Posted by: Zvonko
Date: May 05, 2015 07:50AM

siria
Add something like this to your user.js

Hm ... if I add

/* ----- DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE -------------------------------------------- */
user_pref("kmeleon.download.saveDir", "MyDownloads");
user_pref("browser.download.dir", "MyDownloads");

the changes can be seen in Preferences, but there is no change in the behavior.

But do I understand you correctly: You mean that with such a setting the download folder would be [KM Program Folder]\MyDownloads? And that this would be "portable"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 07:50AM by Zvonko.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 05, 2015 08:58AM

Yes, at least that's how it works on my Vista machine with RC2, although not the latest updates yet.
Forgot to mention: Make sure that folder already exists!

But as you already wrote before, somehow somewhere must be a reason or setting that some installations like yours and James have probs...
A little check, if you manually do a File or Link "Save As" into another folder, afterwards look in about:config which pref that changed exactly, since James mentioned there are different versions now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 09:03AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.