General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
User Agent String Setting Missing from Tools Menu
Posted by: ArrowOfAces
Date: September 17, 2014 06:13AM

Recently, after not having used K-meleon since 4 years prior, I decided to begin using the browser yet again but was taken aback by the overwhelming nature of the multiplicity of options and customizations availible. After tweaking the GUI button locations in the toolbars.cfg, I remembered being capable of altering the user agent in K-meleon, yet I found to my dismay that release 74.0RC2 had moved the setting from the dropdown Tools menu elsewhere, or it has been removed altogether. After doing numerous searches through the preferences in K-meleon and acrost the internet, I found no answers to my queries; however, I did notice in the toolbars.cfg a excerpt of code which indicates that the capability exists somewhere. As to where, I am clueless and at the mercy of the K-meleon community.

From toolbars.cfg:
User Agent{
ID_APP_ABOUT|&User Agent
Check Browser Identity. Right-click to choose different User Agent.
privhot.bmp[16]
privcold.bmp[16]
}

And before any wise ass cracks: "Did you check to see if the number signs weren't in front of it?" Yes, I have doubly so.
Any assistance in this matter is much abliged.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: User Agent String Setting Missing from Tools Menu
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 17, 2014 06:51AM

KM 74 has been a "work in progress". Not everything remains the same from earlier versions.

I have a macro for switching the user agent mode between FF compatible and KM default. Something official may be included later.

UserAgentII.kmm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/useragentII.7z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 02:24AM by JamesD.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 17, 2014 09:56AM

It is missing by design/intentionally.

1.) Apart from the macro solution posted by JamesD.

2.) You can try whether the old method and macro still works. It did for me but I have not tried yet with the most recent issues by Dorian. You have to add the button You mention also.

3.) Another possibility: Try new functions with a by site agent switcher metioned here that comes with the version 74+1 which naruman uses to tests his stuff.
The button gets this feature for some skins. Else add it.

Only works with that version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 01:04PM by guenter.

Posted by: ArrowOfAces
Date: September 17, 2014 10:03PM

Thanks for the effort people! Again, I am much appreciative of the effort, and after considering the options laid forth here so far, I chose JamesD's solution to the functionality crippling lack of access to the UAS setting (which I am in no way complaining about due to the RC appended at the end of my version number). I perused your methods of a workaround guenter (and I applaud the effort); however, the simplicity of the answer laid forth by JamesD takes the cake. My hopes lie in the future of this particular browser's functionality and reliability, and due to this, UAS controls would be a major focus of my wants in this browser's capability (i.e., adding a multiplicity of different user agent strings from other various browsers). This case is closed.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.