General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Manually installing a Firefox add-on
Posted by: Zero3K
Date: March 19, 2014 02:23AM

Is it possible to do so? If so, how? (I am asking because I would like to be able to use the official LastPass addon with K-Meleon.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 01:18AM by Zero3K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manually installing an add-on
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 19, 2014 04:25PM

It is sometimes possible. It is also complicated. I have had mixed results with this method.

If the addon has a .jar file and manifest then they should be copied to the "extensions" folder in the KM root folder. If you have no extensions folder you should make one. If you have to make an extensions folder, then you will likely need to add a line in the file "chrome.manifest" which is in the root folder. If the line below does not exist in chrome.manifest, the add it and save the file.
manifest extensions/extensions.manifest

In the extensions folder, find or create a file named extensions.manifest. Add a line to that file which points to the manifest file for the jar file you added to extensions folder. My extensions.manifest file looks like this.
manifest policymanager.manifest
manifest exexcept.manifest
manifest passwordexporter.manifest

In the three extensions which I have there needs to be a method for the user to execute the code. That is done with a .kmm file. The one for Policy Manager looks like this.
# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#---------------Policies Manager -----------
###############################################################

PoliciesManager{
menugrayed=(hostname($URL)=="");
if(($ARG == "page")+($ARG=="link")){
$HostAdd=  ($ARG=="page")? $URL :$LinkURL;
setpref(STRING,"extensions.policymanager.URL",$HostAdd);
$OpenURL="chrome://policymanager/content/selectPolicy.xul";
$ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNewWindow"; &ExecMacros_Frames;
}
else{
$HostAdd="";
$OpenURL="chrome://policymanager/content/policymanager.xul";
$ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNewWindow"; &ExecMacros_Frames;
}
}

PoliciesManager_BuildMenu{
setmenu(Document,macro,"Policies Manager page","PoliciesManager(page)",-1);
setmenu(LinkOpenExternal,macro,"Policies Manager Link","PoliciesManager(link)",-1);
setmenu("&Tools",inline,PoliciesManager,-1);
setmenu(PoliciesManager,macro,"Policies Manager","PoliciesManager()");
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."PoliciesManager_BuildMenu;";
# --------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."PoliciesManager;";

This is a very brief overview. It fits only the case where you have a .jar file for the extension. Even then it does not always work. I have Policy Manager and exexceptions working, but I having trouble upgrading the passwordexporter.

Post back here with the details of what you find/have for lasspass. I have never used it myself, but perhaps someone else will have some information.

Re: Manually installing an add-on
Posted by: siria
Date: March 19, 2014 07:04PM

Uhm, good info that I'll have to bookmark, just to clarify a probable misunderstanding for clueless readers who might get a wrong impression:

This extremely complicated way is only about trying to install add-ons which were made for another browser, for FIREFOX, not applies to true K-Meleon addons!

Installing add-ons which were meant for K-Meleon itself is in most cases as easy as dropping a downloaded *.kmm file into the macros folder, that's all. There are a couple more complicated ones out there too, but those are exceptions.
Add-ons for K-Meleon are mostly called extensions or macros, but it's basically the same thing. There exist many in various places (kmext.sf.net, this forum etc.), and if anyone needs just one easy little thing and asks in this forum, chances are not bad someone might make it for him. Not always, but often, depends on difficulty ;-)

Perhaps change the first title into "Manually installing a FIREFOX add-on"?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 07:07PM by siria.

Re: Manually installing a Firefox add-on
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 23, 2014 06:53PM

JamesD, thx for updating me and others!

Firefox Extensions were installed as early as 0.8 or so by MonkeeSage.

As JamesD already pointed out: You always need to call the functionality which You just installed with a K-Meleon macro. One of the earliest, most simple examples that is still in use with little modifications shows perhaps well what You do.

Red: Call the Xul file that starts the Xul-Chrome Application.

Blue: Create a visible menu item in Preferences.

Green: Initialize the macro by unique name.

A jar tester had been created by alain. It helped You to find out which file to start and whether an app was easy to adapt. Maybe it will be updated when 74 is finished.

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- mtypes Extension (MIME Type Editor) -------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dependencies : main.kmm (OpenURL)
# Resources : -
# Preferences : -
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtypes{
$OpenURL="chrome://mtypes/content/pref/pref.xul"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

# ----- PRIVATE

_mtypes_BuildMenu{
# edit menu
setmenu(Preferences,macro,"MIME T&ypes",mtypes);
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_mtypes_BuildMenu;";

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."mtypes;";

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 06:56PM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 13, 2014 04:51PM

I'll wait til the true KM extensions or addons be released when KM74 goes final release later this year. for now I can live without installing any FF addon on K-meleon 74 since things are pretty stable.

Posted by: peterscot423
Date: August 19, 2014 06:03AM

First of all you have to install the Extension.If you have already saved an extension to your desktop (or other location), if you downloaded earlier then you can skip this.

Download the extension that you want to your computer. For security reasons, it is highly recommended that you only save/install add-ons from the official Firefox Add-ons site, from an official Mozilla site, from a Mozilla repository on github, or from a trusted Mozilla employee or volunteer.
If a download option isn't available, right click on the extension's install link and select "Save Link As..". Be sure not to change the file extension. A Firefox extension will be an .XPI file.
Example: web_developer_tools_toolbar_button-0.9.5-fx.xpi
Once you have downloaded the extension, there are several ways that you can install it.

Important Tip: To find the location where add-ons are installed by default, press Alt + h > t (Help > Troubleshooting Information) > Profile Folder > Show Folder > extensions.

@ peterscot423. Important tip. You waste Your time here. This forum has active mods that check links and posts. And they delete SPAM links.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 12:16PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 20, 2014 08:49PM

This is probably the only forum of the moderated sort where spammers aren't deleted, but get talked to, LOL! Oh well, guess KM has always been considered a bit quirky :cool:

Date: August 20, 2014 09:05PM

siria
This is probably the only forum of the moderated sort where spammers aren't deleted, but get talked to, LOL! Oh well, guess KM has always been considered a bit quirky :cool:

I don't understand why a mod hasn't deleted its posts and banned it yet.

Date: August 22, 2014 05:10AM

I want him to know. It saves my time - when he knows. His other posts that contaied SPAM links were deleted. Only this, where he tried to hide a link in a legitimate text, stays as a reminder, for him and for all that read it, that external links by newbees are checked. I even look in the source of posts that do not make sence. Quote shows hidden links. Just as a tip for potential helpers against SPAM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 05:20AM by guenter.

Date: August 22, 2014 05:35AM

guenter
I want him to know. It saves my time - when he knows. His other posts that contaied SPAM links were deleted. Only this, where he tried to hide a link in a legitimate text, stays as a reminder, for him and for all that read it, that external links by newbees are checked. I even look in the source of posts that do not make sence. Quote shows hidden links. Just as a tip for potential helpers against SPAM.

He cannot know for he is a bot.

A Bot or a Human Spammer?
Date: August 22, 2014 10:54AM

All his texts were different. Only some contained illegitimate links.
He is from a low wage area. Ludhiana region in India.
Maybe he is human and makes some pocket - money with SPAM.

His postings stopped on the day after I edited the post here and deleted some that contained illegitimate links. If it stays like that or if he posts no more SPAM links - I do not care whether he is a bot. No rule against bots posting.

grinning smiley

If not I will deactivate his account to create some extra work for his master.

p.s. Forum regulars can get away with some advertisements if they post SPAM seldom, provided they normally create usefull content, help others and clearly say: I want to promote e.g. my own page because it is good in... or URL is a charity I want to promote. That is the yeast of a very old discussion.

peterscot423 was warned because he tresspassed that. Too much, to early; No quality posts plus page link rank fishing with a hidden or wrongly labbeled link.

The last is IMHO fraud and can be detrimental to the Google ranking of this Forum.

Users that seek info need that K-Meleon posts here have a high ranking in a search. So we do not want this type of content.

Neither here nor in the K-M Wiki. That is why e.g. I habitually check who is posting what: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/UpdatedPages

Thx to siria for updating so many wiki pages. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 11:32AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.