General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Is K-Meleon future-safe?
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: April 24, 2015 07:32AM

I am a new (enthusiastic) K-Meleon user. However, I would like to decide for a browser which is future-safe ... I don't like to change the software I use ...

Now I discovered the following:

- Google Maps says the browser version is not actual enough for the full 3D modus, in K-Meleon only the Lite Modus is activaed.

- GMail (https://mail.google.com/mail) says: This version of Firefox is not longer supported, please change to a supported browser. (But the website can be used normally.)

My question(s):
- Is it to expect that such problems or limitations will occur in future frequently?
- Is there a way to resolve these problems (e.g. to force Google maps to change to the full modus?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is K-Meleon future-safe?
Posted by: guenter
Date: April 24, 2015 10:45AM

Grüß Dich,

1.) K-Meleon development has been stagnant more than once in the past.
It is a hobby not a commercial or semi commercial funded project. No paid developers.

And Dorian is the only one in the project that has the knowledge to port the K-Meleon specific code to a new Gecko (html/js engine used e.g. of Firefox) version. Probably not even he can tell You whether he will always have time to do it frequently or how long this will coding for K-Meleon will stay his hobby.

2.) To work around Your problem You could just switch to the development version 75 that is based on Gecko 31 ESR. And it is already stable. That AFAIK should do it for most pages and purposes.

Another thing that often helps with such problems is to spoof another Gecko version. siria from Germany for example still uses 1.6 (contemporary of Firefox 3!) and AFAIR has just altered the User Agent String (Browserkennung) to a more recent version. I personally use K-Meleon 74 (Gecko esr 24) and spoof 75 (Gecko esr 31).

If You need info how that can be done just ask.

mfG

Posted by: siria
Date: April 24, 2015 01:46PM

Hi,
yes I'm actually still on prehistoric KM1.6 due to my online machine being win98 smiling smiley No I do not change my UserAgent (=how the browser identifies itself to websites, it may be faked) normally, only when a website is stubborn with old browsers tongue sticking out smiley Yes faking the UA-tag helps very often, although not always. More and more often nowadays I need to kill the css-style to get access to more content - but hey, only rarely do I see such a nasty "old browser" warning, and all-around for this *extremely* old mozilla engine that's absolutely amazing in todays web!

So I'd say, with the rather current mozilla engine in KM75, that should still be good for awhile, even when Dorian will certainly run out of spare time again some day. The break between KM1.6 and KM74 has been very long, so long that most KM fans had already feared the browser was already dead, but then Dorian showed up again in autumn 2013 and has been working very hard ever since to update KM to a modern engine again, and finally KM75 is about ready for publishing.
But most of those "old browser" warnings really require nothing but a faked UA name tag to fool nasty servers, because the content itself still works fine in 99%. A more difficult subject is security though, due to older mozilla engines (gecko)...

Date: April 24, 2015 03:01PM

Thank you very much, besten Dank to guenter and siria, for this useful information!!!

I understand now that the user agent string can be changed ... however, it was not easy to discover that in K-Meleon 74 this is not a built-in option, and that useragents.kmm from an older version must be copyed into the macros folder to enable this option.

And I am now able to use K-Meleon with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0
to avoid the two problems with Google sites I reported above.

This seems to be a very smart and maybe future-safe feature of K-Meleon.

Or are there potential disadvantages of such a spoofing?

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 24, 2015 03:33PM

Zvonko
Or are there potential disadvantages of such a spoofing?

If the page has been made expecting some html/css support that it's known is from X version of Gecko/GRE/Firefox and you are spoofing it telling you support it, you will see some unexpected rendering results.

Usually you don't need to tell you are using the latest Firefox version, but just Firefox. K-meleon, in my country websites, is often considered a mobile browser unless you tell you are Firefox.

Even https://images.google.com/ will display the results one way or another depending if you tell you are Firefox or K-meleon.

Those are the potential disadvantages.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 24, 2015 05:56PM

Let's just say that by telling the servers a different browser identification, that may result in different display - sometimes better, sometimes worse. That happens if the webmaster has build an 'intelligent' (??) site that delivers different page versions to different browsers.

With KM being rather unknown and those webmasters not considering it anyway, the result gets mostly better when spoofing as Firefox - but there are also times when they actually get worse! Not very often, but can happen. Because there are webmasters that intentionally try to kick out slightly older FF versions, just to force people to always use the newest version! It's real funny for me when sometimes reading KM74 users get "old browser" warnings on pages where my trusty old KM1.6 with original UA is allowed to pass without bothering grinning smiley

Date: April 24, 2015 08:59PM

guenter
I personally use K-Meleon 74 (Gecko esr 24) and spoof 75 (Gecko esr 31).

Wie lautet der User Agent String von KM 75?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 09:00PM by Zvonko.

Posted by: Myriamet32
Date: April 26, 2015 03:22AM

Thanks for these informations. coque galaxy s5 etui samsung galaxy s5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 02:48AM by Myriamet32.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 26, 2015 03:37AM

Zvonko
guenter
I personally use K-Meleon 74 (Gecko esr 24) and spoof 75 (Gecko esr 31).

Wie lautet der User Agent String von KM 75?

Der Neueste/Mit Update 4:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/31.5.0

Download: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,132917

Update 4 http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,132917,page=3

Ich benutze: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 04:53AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.