General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Do I need K-Meleon to use FireFox?
Date: April 01, 2015 07:10PM

I have been using FireFox (36) and have noticed that it seems to run a little slower than previously. I my exploring my computer and using Spybot S & D, I found a file I didn't recognize: Kmeleon.general.homePage. This is listed under the browser settings. Is this the 'default' search engine for Mozilla FireFox? Can I remove it if necessary? Perhaps a program installed it without my knowledge. I don't seem to have a way to change it. Any assistance or recommendations would be appreciatedl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do I need K-Meleon to use FireFox?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 01, 2015 08:00PM

JeffInMonterey
I have been using FireFox (36) and have noticed that it seems to run a little slower than previously. I my exploring my computer and using Spybot S & D, I found a file I didn't recognize: Kmeleon.general.homePage. This is listed under the browser settings. Is this the 'default' search engine for Mozilla FireFox? Can I remove it if necessary? Perhaps a program installed it without my knowledge. I don't seem to have a way to change it. Any assistance or recommendations would be appreciatedl

K-meleon and Firefox are independent.

They both use the Mozilla Gecko engine, but the one is in their own directories.

kmeleon.general.homePage is a preference of K-meleon, but it isn't a file and shouln't be a file. It is an internal pair of preference/value.

You can delete it safely, but I recommend you to open it with Windows Notepad or WordPad to make sure it is empty. I'd bet it is a 0KB size file.

If Spybot found it as a file, you maybe found a bug. What version of K-meleon were you using? Obviously you used it, because that can't be created by magic winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 08:01PM by JohnHell.

Re: Do I need K-Meleon to use FireFox?
Date: April 02, 2015 12:21AM

Thank you for the information. I don't think I 'used' K-Meleon as I didn't even know what it was until I started this research. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a browser hijacker. I'll look into it more and post what I find.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.