General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon under Win 8.1: bad RAM issue
Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 27, 2015 11:38PM

Well,
this story started when I begin to promote K-Meleon increasingly aggressive in 'Ru-net'.

Time to time I was faced to user feedback (with screenies) where KM was eating more RAM than FF or old Opera (which looked impossible to me).

And I've noted that all that facts are from users of Windows 8.1.

Today I've made a little test under 8.1 and XP - and what? The same session loaded under XP consumes about half of RAM wasted under 8.1!
Other browsers RAM consumption is relatively unchanged between 2 systems, but not so for KM.

So the question is: can something be made to optimize RAM consumption of KM under Win 8?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon under Win 8.1: bad RAM issue
Posted by: Samuel
Date: March 28, 2015 09:34PM

I am not an developer, but unused RAM is useless RAM, it is pretty damn wrong to compare which browser is "better" by RAM value alone. Using RAM only becomes an issue if you are swapping to HDD. Also you can change how much K-Meleon caches on RAM on the preferences, or turn it off if you are so paranoid about RAM utilization...

Date: March 28, 2015 10:10PM

Samuel,
this is not about real use worries. This is about diagnostics of some issues and technical faults.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 16, 2015 07:00AM

rodocop
Samuel,
this is not about real use worries. This is about diagnostics of some issues and technical faults.

in what versions of K-meleon is the "bad RAM" problems in Win8.1 happening, rodocop?
I can't seem to reproduce them on my dad's Toshiba laptop with 64bit Win8.1.

Date: April 22, 2015 01:12PM

Not a particular case - but general observation made with KM 75 (any build) by all russian users who are reporting things in ru-net (I'm the only supporter for KM in russian domain now).

Have you compared RAM consumption against Firefox (for example) in Win 8.1 and earlier Win versions?

In general we all got the same:

under WinXP-Win7 K-Meleon eats visibly less RAM then FF with the same pages. And in Win 8.1 things are just mirrored. And not FF does consume RAM better, but KM starts to waste RAM seriously: the same tab kit in K-Meleon eats under Win 8.1 about double RAM comparing with XP (while FF have got only about 30% increase).

Posted by: Dorian
Date: April 22, 2015 05:18PM

If it's a kmeleon/windows issue, about:memory should report similar usage on all system.

Date: April 22, 2015 06:21PM

about:memory in K-Meleon says that it cannot show all the RAM really used so it doesn't do it in fact.
WARNING: the 'heap-allocated' memory reporter does not work 
for this platform and/or configuration. 
This means that 'heap-unclassified' is not shown 
and the 'explicit' tree shows less memory than it should.
I use third-party RAM-metering utilities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 06:23PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: April 22, 2015 10:41PM

This is exactly why it's useful in this case: it only show memory used by gecko, not memory used by the interface.

Date: April 23, 2015 07:00AM

Well I'll test this when at Win 8.1.

Do not have this OS at the moment.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 24, 2015 01:05AM

well I do have Win8.1 x64 edition (USA version) with update 1 (KB2919355) installed, rodocop [on a Toshiba laptop with AMD A6-APU Kabini 2.0Ghz processor and 4Gb of RAM]
and I'm not getting the "bad RAM" problems that you are trying to describe here.

And when I launched KM 7.5 RC2 on Win8.1 it only used about 50Mb of RAM and very slowly grows in RAM usage, but not to a point where KM is having RAM leaks or consuming hundreds of megs of memory.

Are other users from other countries with Win8.1 having the RAM problems with K-meleon? Cuz I'm not getting them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 01:08AM by 4td8s.

Date: April 24, 2015 03:53PM

Happy to read this.

But at least three russian users gave me the similar feedback about RAM usage under 8.

And my own test was also 'positive' for bad RAM handling. Try to open several (3-5) 'heavy' pages and compare such a session in RAM terms between KM and FF.

In 7 and earlier KM always beats FF for about 30-45% in RAM saving. In 8-8.1 they use comparatevely equal RAM even with some leadership (less memory used) of FF.

That's confusing for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 03:53PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.