General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Just a few niggles...
Posted by: Kara
Date: March 19, 2015 10:08AM

Hello everybody,

first off, I'm so happy there is a new K-Meleon! A '74.0', no less... grinning smiley

I was using the 1.54 for what seems like ages, and it was really getting old, forcing me to use the 'Open with SW Iron' or 'open with FF' for about half the time. So I'm really, really glad there is a new one, and from what I can see after a couple of hours, it's excellent. Thank you so very, very much for not giving up on K-Meleon!

I only have a few problems:

First, I cannot right-click a link in the bookmark list to choose whether to open it in the current tab, a new tab or a new window. All I can do is click on it and it opens in the current tab; the right click simply does not work. I probably just miss some setting or so, but I cannot seem to figure it out. Maybe someone can help me here.

Second, there is no 'open with other browser' option in the tools menu anymore. I get it that the new K-Meleon probably won't need it too much anymore, but it still was a neat option. I used to watch F1 livestreams in SW Iron, just to keep those nagging ad sites that go with it out of my regular browser; and it was so convenient to call it over K-Meleon, as it neatly opened in the same Sandboxie. Could I get that feature back somehow?

Third, is there no user agent input anymore? You know, the thing where you could tell K-Meleon to camouflage as Firefox 21 or so? When I go to YouTube, it tells me that my browser is outdated - would be nice to dress up as Firefox 36 or something to stop that.

Anyhow, the first problem with the bookmarks is the most annoying to me, and I really would be glad if someone knows how to fix it.

And again, many thanks that there is a new K-Meleon again!

All the best,

Kara

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just a few niggles...
Posted by: siria
Date: March 19, 2015 10:26AM

Hi Kara,
keep an eye on the "Announcements" chapter in the forum, because there are much newer versions already out there than 74 smiling smiley Currently KM75RC, but an 75RC2 is nearly finished too. No idea why it's not announced on the download page, perhaps Dorian wants to announce only final versions now. Nevertheless progressed beta and RC versions are usually better than old stable ones, so no need to avoid them just because they are not called "final" yet.

I fully agree the missing useragents macro is still much needed sad smiley
Fortunately you can just copy over the file useragents.kmm from an older KM version into your macros folder, and that still works fine. The only prob is you also have to copy over the single UAs listed in that menu, and that's more complicated, and different for every user. They are either stored in one of the files in KM/defaults/pref, or in your profile folder inside prefs.js

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 10:28AM by siria.

Date: March 19, 2015 10:55AM

Thank you, Siria!

I might look at other versions, but since I only have the new K-Meleon running for a few hours, I might try and solve the issues I have first. I'm not so keen on getting new versions (believe it or not, my Firefox is still version 5.0, my SW Iron is version 7.05, and my telephone is a W48 - I'm a dinosaur...)

So unless someone tells me that the missing right-click menu in the bookmarks menu is an incorrigible bug in K-Meleon 74.0, I should at least try to solve the problem before throwing the whole browser out. Besides, I'm not much into all this newfangled stuff (still haven't figured out why on earth I need 'mouse gestures' or what that is at all). I'll be happy if the new K-Meleon works as fine as the old one did ten years ago.

If it helps any:
I have 'support for Netscape bookmarks' enabled.
I run the classic theme (that's probably just looks)
I have Windows XP, SP3

and the only things I've changed so far in K-Meleon is to set geo-enabled to false and add the 'theatre-display-whatever-thingy' into the user settings to see YouTube videos in spite of Flashblock enabled.

All the best,

Kara

Date: March 19, 2015 12:58PM

Is there a portable version of K-Meleon 75.0 RC?

I could only find an exe to install, but I'd just prefer a portable one.

As for the first problem - that of the missing right-click menu in the bookmark menu list - I could only change the option settings to have *all* bookmarks open in a background tab. Not nice, as there still is no right-click menu, and I cannot change the way I'd open them.

I still have my old 1.54... could I copy some part of that one, maybe a kmm or cfg or something, into the new 74.0? Seems to me that might not be wise considering I barely can part one sort of file from the other... sad smiley

Date: March 19, 2015 01:02PM

p.s.

I forgot to add - there is no right-click menu in any part of the menu, be it Help, Tools, etc.

Inside of a web page, the right-click menu works just fine.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 19, 2015 02:05PM

right-click works in menu: if apply to some 'page-opening' command - then it opens this page in new tab; if to any 'toggle' command - then simply does the same as left-click.

UPD.: Portable KM-75RC with some macros and AdBlockPlus added. Enjoy it!

UPD.2: Unpack this file into your Profile folder after first run of KM - and get fast and light basic filter list for your AdBlock (instead of heavy regular subscriptions - it covers about 90% of Easylist grinning smiley).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 02:13PM by rodocop.

Date: March 19, 2015 02:27PM

Rodocop, thank you so much! I'll download the 75.0RC and will give it a look.

As for this suggestion of yours:
Rodocop
right-click works in menu: if apply to some 'page-opening' command - then it opens this page in new tab; if to any 'toggle' command - then simply does the same as left-click.

... could you please explain it to someone who is glad to find the shut-down-button in Windows? How do I apply any command to a right-click, how do I toggle anything?

Maybe I should specify my problem... in the old K-Meleon 1.54 I just clicked on 'Bookmarks' in the menu, had the long list of the bookmarks dropping down, could direct the mouse to a specific one and do a right-click. The right-click popped up the right-click context menu on which I could choose whether to open the link in the current tab, a new tab or a new window.

In K-Meleon 74.0, the right-click does nothing, no context menu, no choice, niente.

It's probably not a bug, just me being too dumb to use the thing. sad smiley

Date: March 19, 2015 02:35PM

Since 1.5.4 some things had changed.

Right-click menu works only on buttons not on menu items.

But regarding Bookmarks things are different: left-click opens link in current tab and right-click - in new background tab.

This is default behaviour which could be changed in Preferences->K-Meleon Plugins->Netscape Bookmarks

click for fullsize

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 02:36PM by rodocop.

Date: March 19, 2015 04:43PM

Rodocop
Since 1.5.4 some things had changed.

Right-click menu works only on buttons not on menu items.

Uuh... I will sure miss it. Maybe someone can find a kmm-file or something to get it back.

Rodocop
But regarding Bookmarks things are different: left-click opens link in current tab and right-click - in new background tab.

I got it to work like that in 75RC, but not in 74.0. So I guess I'll keep the 75RC, as it will at least allow to choose between current and new tab. Shame as there are some things I'd like to run in a separate window, but I guess I'll just have to call a new window then and load the page in question in there. Same effect, just more clicks (and they always say new versions are supposed to make things easier...).

I guess if right-click context menus are gone for good (in bookmarks, at least), there's probably not much sense asking for the 'open in other browser' or the 'user agent' things?

I'll use the 75RC for a while now and see how I get along. Right now, I'm looking what I can throw out to make it lighter. I wouldn't need mail and news, the thing runs in Sandboxie anyway and all it needs to be is a web browser.

By the way, what does Adblock that 'Block Flash' and 'Block Advertisements' can't do?

Still, I'm happy K-Meleon is alive and kicking! 1.54 was really getting old.

And all help in this forum is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 19, 2015 05:17PM

Kara
Same effect, just more clicks (and they always say new versions are supposed to make things easier...).

Not necessary true.
Once you'll bother to find out what mouse gestures are good for, you'll be able to open a new window on the fly without the need of any click. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 05:19PM by Yogi.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: March 19, 2015 05:21PM

Kara
Maybe I should specify my problem... in the old K-Meleon 1.54 I just clicked on 'Bookmarks' in the menu, had the long list of the bookmarks dropping down, could direct the mouse to a specific one and do a right-click. The right-click popped up the right-click context menu on which I could choose whether to open the link in the current tab, a new tab or a new window.

Such a menu never existed :s

Date: March 19, 2015 07:01PM

Perhaps she (?) means the EDIT menu? That one has right-click options.
PS dorian: Perhaps add in the bookmarks/Edit/Help a note how to Search?

But those new options are really great:

rodocop
click for fullsize

Like it! smiling smiley Just a pity such options don't exist for Favorites and Hotlist too ;-)
But Kara, don't give up so easily - it's still there!
Just have a look at this OPTIONS tab:
It allows settings for LEFT, RIGHT, and MIDDLE click.
So you can simply add your "new window" on middle click.
Or whatever you prefer, it's your own choice.

Mouse gestures are great too. One of those thing you newer knew you needed until you got it grinning smiley For example I use it to reload a page just by pulling the mouse to the right with right-button down, no need to waste 1-2 seconds directing it at the tiny reload button first or finding F5 key on the keyboard. Or I pull it up-left to close a page. The possibilities are endless.

Useragents is a kmm-file and still works fine as before, you just have to find your old list or use a new one.
Sending links to other browsers is to my knowledge also done by kmm-macros and therefore should be no prob either.
Mail functions you may not need, but in KM that's nothing but a link to your systems mail program, so not bloating KM itself.
Etc. - just hang in a bit more ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 07:12PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 19, 2015 08:12PM

Kara - mit Yogy und siria kannst du Deutsch schreiben. Falls was unklar blieb.

Adblock+ und andere Firefox Erweiterungen gehen. Extensions Forum besuchen.

Wie geschrieben - viele alte kmm gehen auch noch. siria fragen.smiling smiley

Date: March 20, 2015 08:29PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and patience!

I must admit I'm confused now... I've used that browser every day, for years and years, and I swear there was a right click context menu when clicking links in the bookmarks list, same as in Firefox - just like when clicking a link in a page. And no, I didn't confuse it with Firefox.

It might be that my 1.54 was a tad askew, it had some Mozilla plugins and half an 1.7 copied over it. Anyhow, I cannot check it because what I thought was my browser backup when deleting it turned out to be the Twin+ version. Funny thing though - Twin+ never really worked with 1.54 still on the drive, even though they had separated folders. Now with 1.54 gone, Twin+ works flawlessly. It's just that neither K-Meleon will stay default browser now - the 1.54 was the only one who did.

Good news - I've found the 'open in browser' option in the Tools menu. Maybe it was there all the time and I was just blind. (Just checked - it's missing in the 74.0, but is there in 75RC). Hooray - I was beginning to doubt my sanity here...

A different question - how do I get Mozilla plugins I wish to have? I darkly remember it was quite a hassle in my old K-Meleon.

The most important one would be the Video DownloadHelper for Mozilla - not so much for YouTube videos but for some other video sites.

Second would be BetterPrivacy, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. The 75RC seems quite safe, sits in a sandbox anyway and the whole c drive sits in timefreeze. Maybe I should safe the RAM for that one... winking smiley

Anyhow, the Video-Downloadhelper is a must for me! It's pretty much the only thing left now that I still need Firefox for.

Thanks a bunch,

Kara

Date: March 20, 2015 08:30PM

Hallo Guenter,

ich werde das mir merken!

Date: March 20, 2015 08:52PM

Hmmm...

judging from the outcries on the Mozilla page, Video Downloadhelper got a tad screwed up with unappreciated bells and whistles, and it seems the new version 5.0 needs Firefox 36 at a minimum.

I do have a perfectly fine, older version 4.9 of Downloadhelper in my Firefox 5.0. Just how do I get a copy of this out of there and into K-Meleon?

Date: March 20, 2015 09:06PM

Have you tried

YoutubeServices

Flash Video Downloader

ClipNabber

or KeepVid extensions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 09:06PM by rodocop.

Date: March 20, 2015 09:53PM

Thanks, Rodocop, I can look into them. I don't need anything for YouTube, though. I often watch movies online, and those are mostly mp4 files, some flv, too.

I have found the *.xpi files for two older Downloadhelper-versions, the last ones before the maligned changes were made.

I seem to remember there were xpi-files before with K-Meleon, but cannot remember for the life of me what I did with those.

Date: March 20, 2015 10:15PM

Every given extension works not only with Youtube.
Most of them handle mp4.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 21, 2015 07:27AM

Kara
I must admit I'm confused now... I've used that browser every day, for years and years, and I swear there was a right click context menu when clicking links in the bookmarks list, same as in Firefox - just like when clicking a link in a page. And no, I didn't confuse it with Firefox.

Do not swear as long as you aren't 100% sure. smiling smiley
You can easily find out by downloading and testing Km-1.54.
I can't test because I'm afraid Km-1.54 won't run on Win7 but anybody running an older OS could confirm or negate your above statement.

Date: March 21, 2015 08:25AM

I think it was right-click on button not in menu. Right like now.

Date: March 21, 2015 10:05PM

Yogi
You can easily find out by downloading and testing Km-1.54.
I can't test because I'm afraid Km-1.54 won't run on Win7

Why should it not be possible to test, the portable version wouldn't cause any probs when unzipping into a new folder, whether it runs (probably) or not ;-)

Anyway, I finally did. And as expected, the normal menu is still the same, no right-click possible on menus.
But the one thing that has changed, but only since KM75, is the default command for the button, in the default skin. From KM1.5 until KM74 the button calls "Edit", and since KM75 it calls "Add". Also for hotlist and favorites. Still a bit weird, because Edit and Add sure look quite different, and the first complaint was with KM74.

@Kara: to restore the old behavior just open toolbars.cfg, search for the bookmarks button and replace bookmarks(Add) with bookmarks(Edit)

The switch to "Add" as default command is really bad for the favorites and the hotlist button. Unlike bookmarks, a click on them now does absolutely nothing any more - that is, not visible for users. Probably many will now think those buttons were broken, overlooking the tooltips, while the clicks do drop links 'secretly' in the top folder sad smiley For hotlist it would probably be best to restore the old Edit-command (because it has the search function), and for Favorites to flip up the menu by default...

Date: March 24, 2015 01:43PM

Greetings,

I've now tested the video-download options Rodocop gave me:
(no critizism or ingratitude intended, just an update)

1. YouTubeServices and KeepVid are basically the same as, say, savenfrom.net - all they do is link to a website that offers to save a YouTube/Dailymotion/etc clip. Work fine with those, but it doesn't save from most of my frequented movie sites. As a sidenote, the link in YouTubeServices is outdated and leads to a 'page not found'. As far as they're concerned, I can stick with Savefrom for the clips.

2. Clipnabber and Flash Video Downloader are dangerous. The 7z-files are clean, install well and show up in K-Meleon 75RC, the former as a menu item, the latter as a blue arrow. But, when trying to download a YouTube clip, both demand to download and install an exe-file to do the job. Both exe-files did not pass the VirusTotal check, they are laden with trojans, adware, malware and whatnot.

So, poor me is still stuck on good ole Video-Downloadhelper 4.9.xx... sad smiley

I've unpacked the xpi file and it contained 4 folders (chrome, components, default, local), one file called 'chrome.manifest', and another file called 'install.rdf'.

I've read that K-Meleon does not take well to extensions that change the GUI, but since one of the baddies mentioned above could get its blue arrow into the toolbar, there shouldn't be much of a problem with the tiny little ball VideoDownloadhelper would place there - or so I hope...

Maybe I should carry this into the 'Extensions' section here - what do you think? I don't want to spam the forum, but I'm clueless.

Thanks again,

Kara

Date: March 24, 2015 07:14PM

Whoa... I don't like webservices at all, for exactly that unsafe reason, and just glad again I don't need them so far! Youtube-vids I can download with the modified but badly outdated flash9 plugin (last version running on my win98). That method doesn't work with most other sites though, but need them only rarely.
Guess someone should take those old macros down...

Kara
I've read that K-Meleon does not take well to extensions that change the GUI, but since one of the baddies mentioned above could get its blue arrow into the toolbar, there shouldn't be much of a problem with the tiny little ball VideoDownloadhelper

Sounds like a little misunderstanding to me? That's two very different systems.
K-Meleons own macros and extensions have no prob creating buttons and toolbars, because they use macrolanguage for it (kmm-files).
It's the native XPI-extensions for FF that have this GUI prob. They need an additional macro-kmm-file to create buttons - just which commands and page links does such a complicated XPI use?? Needs a developer to figure out, I'm not. Just for curiosity had a look at this downloader xpi-thing last week, but quickly stopped again when unzipping revealed some 50 files in it - YIKES...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 07:16PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.