General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Fix - Your Browser is No Longer Supported
Posted by: callahan
Date: January 28, 2015 01:04PM

Found a solution to the YouTube outdated browser message ... at least it is working now. I run Proxomitron with K-Meleon v1.8.2.4 and at the The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum the problem is being discussed.

The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

http://prxbx.com/forums/

Under Proxomitron Config Sets click on Sidki ... that's the filter set I use and also many others use. The third thread down is: Your browser is no longer supported.

There is some information but the main idea seems to be that YouTube doesn't reconize any Firefox browsers above v31 ... I had a user agent of Firefox 25 and was also getting the message ... I installed a new Firefox 31 user agent ... others had newer versions of Firefox for a user agent but Firefox 31 user agent seems to work at YouTube for now.

I no longer get the message ... Your browser is no longer supported

This was posted by zoltan at the Proxo forum ... last post:

I spoke too soon when declaring that the faked Firefox 36.0 version was working with youtube. The matching code example is good, but faking that particular FF version causes videos jump to the end and show the finished screen. Good news is, setting it to version 31.0 seems to work fine and triggers no update warnings.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I don't think you would have to using Proxomitron for this to work, not 100% sure since I am using Proxomitron but I did not change any code in Proxomitron, just my user agent in KM.

I have installed both a Firefox 31 user agent with XP and Windows 7. I still like XP to be getting hits at web sites ... there is no YouTube message with either user agent using KM now ... some may want to work with KM and Firefox 31 but I will post both user agents below.

Note: If you type "user-agent" in DuckDuckGo, it'll retrieve your true OS and UA.

Firefox 31 - XP

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefox 31 - Windows 7 (32)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

... that Windows 7 user agent could be easily changed to the 64 bit version ... I just chose 32 for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 02:51PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fix - Your Browser is No Longer Supported
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 28, 2015 02:25PM

For example Nightly 38 also works.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0

I reverted to the 1.6 kmm that lets You switch to predefined strings.

p.s. I wonder why they are bugging user that use GRE 25. I have encountered no incompatible things so far.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:43PM

Thanks guenter ... there are probably other fixes like you have posted. I hadn't been to the Proxomitron forum for awhile and saw that possible fix mentioned. Using the FF 25 user agent wasn't working for me anymore but so far this newer UA is working. If you had already posted about this then I missed it.

I have to go back to the Proxomitron forum and try to change or update the code in Proxomiton ... I am not very good at that and usually have to ask for help as to exactly where to place it correctly, so that's my next project ... updating Proxomitron with some newer code that those guys over there are working on.

Just to add, I also still use KM 1.6 version but mostly KM v1.8.24 ... changed user agents on both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 02:46PM by callahan.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 28, 2015 05:08PM

This is kinda fun for me to read. Using this custom UA since years and still no warning message on yt smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
(Note: same gecko but Firefox in name gives warnings!)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101130 K-Meleon/1.6

Date: January 28, 2015 09:43PM

That's good to know ... must definitely be FF related with various versions with YouTube.

YouTube is the only web site where I started seeing the message. I don't have Sea Monkey on my computer at this time to try it.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 28, 2015 10:46PM

You can send out any fake UA name you wish, for testing or using. It's just a name plate and changes absolutely nothing inside the browser itself, no need to actually install any other browser just to claim another UA.

In most (not all) cases those "old browser" warnings are not a browser related fault either - just the website programmers deciding which users they want to bother and which they let pass. And then they decide, depending on your name plate, which code variation they send you back.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 29, 2015 01:41AM

callahan
Note: If you type "user-agent" in DuckDuckGo, it'll retrieve your true OS and UA.
Not if you've faked them.

Date: January 29, 2015 11:20AM

That seems to be correct ... I picked that up from another post and just included it with the earlier UA information, thought it might be of use to someone wanting to check their UA.

I like this site for checking a UA ... lots of information provided.

https://udger.com/resources/online-parser

or this one ...

http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Show_Web_Browser_Information.php

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 11:26AM by callahan.

Posted by: foliator
Date: February 02, 2015 12:39AM

callahan
I have installed both a Firefox 31 user agent with XP and Windows 7. I still like XP to be getting hits at web sites ... there is no YouTube message with either user agent using KM now ... some may want to work with KM and Firefox 31 but I will post both user agents below.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

It works for me, too, using K-Meleon 74 on Windows 7, but has a negative impact on Google Maps. I get redirected to the new version of Maps, which is horrible (I told them so), and had to create an extra bookmark to their old "classic" version (https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.