General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can't Download KM 1.6 Beta 2
Posted by: duffy98
Date: August 01, 2011 04:00PM

Tried yesterday and today to download from the KM home page the KM 1.6 Beta 2 - 7zip portable package without installer. I click on English and it says it will start to download in 5 seconds but no download will start. Have tried several other mirrors. Any help appreciated ... can others get the portable download to start? ... thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't Download KM 1.6 Beta 2
Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 01, 2011 04:43PM

duffy98,

Just tried it again and it worked for me at this link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/1.6.0Beta/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z/download

try downloading using IE if you have problems with other browsers?

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 04:46PM by ndebord.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 01, 2011 06:05PM

Maybe try from the links here too. http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/1.6.0Beta/

You can also use the exe installer. Just choose single user during setup.
That sets up the portable = Win98 style profiles location.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 01, 2011 06:58PM

I'd suspect that you simply have javascript blocked? Then the automatic download (with counter) doesn't work, but there's a line with a tiny "direct link" to click on. That works also without JS.

Date: August 01, 2011 11:47PM

Thanks ndebord ... guenter for the links. I will have to wait till later tonight (less than 2 hours) when I will have more time to get the download. I'm on cellphone minutes now and "free" time later. I don't why the download wouldn't start, it may be a setting somewhere in my KM browser, if I discover something, I will post.

siria ... I only have "Popups" blocked, not JavaScript or Images in the Privacy tab. I sometimes have JS and Images blocked but not in this case.

I put XP on one of my notebooks and want to try KM v1.6 Beta 2 on it. KM v1.54 works just fine on the XP setup. Am still a Win 98SE person but some "newer" programs I want to use only work on XP or a newer OS these days.

thanks all ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 11:49PM by duffy98.

Date: August 02, 2011 01:34AM

Well I'm having no luck ... neither link would work for me ... I get to the page that says " your download will start shortly" and the download never starts. I wait for a minute or two ... over the weekend I tried many mirrors and got nothing. I tried your suggestion ndebord, about trying IE also. Same thing, I get the "Your download will start shortly" and nothing happens. I'm baffled, I have no problem with other downloads. I will spend more time tomorrow looking for a download backdoor somewhere on Google or I will just forget about KM v1.6.

... I have no trouble downloading from the KM Extensions Center.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 01:37AM by duffy98.

Date: August 02, 2011 02:36AM

duffy98
I get to the page that says " your download will start shortly" and the download never starts

Have you clicked on that page also on "direct link", or only on "mirrors"? That should work in any case.

As for the lack of automatic popup, perhaps you have blocked JS via policy? (uhm, did you recently play with 'experimental' macros, toggled stuff and forgot it? Look into prefs.js for jsblacklist)...
Or try with default settings (new profile)...
Or look into Tools>Error Console with "ALL" checked...
Or perhaps some security tool is blocking, some firewall setting, blacklist, proxy settings, the HOSTS file in windows folder, anything??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 02:38AM by siria.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 02, 2011 04:25AM

duffy98
Well I'm having no luck ... neither link would work for me ... I get to the page that says " your download will start shortly" and the download never starts. I wait for a minute or two ... over the weekend I tried many mirrors and got nothing. I tried your suggestion ndebord, about trying IE also. Same thing, I get the "Your download will start shortly" and nothing happens. I'm baffled, I have no problem with other downloads. I will spend more time tomorrow looking for a download backdoor somewhere on Google or I will just forget about KM v1.6.

... I have no trouble downloading from the KM Extensions Center.

duffy98,

As Siria said: this makes no sense, so one of her thoughts may help.

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 02, 2011 12:01PM

Try from here: http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z

No fancy JavaScript. But no official download just the server I use for K-Meleon things.
So use You own virus software and I give no warranties that it is any good. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 12:11PM by guenter.

Date: August 02, 2011 02:57PM

Ok ... finally back online ... guenter, I was able to get that download from the link in your last post ... siria, I only work with the settings in the "Privacy" tab but I will check into everything you mentioned to check. I have two pages opened now ... the KM home download page for KM 1.6 zip download page and the page that guenter supplied in his first message. They have been opened for more than five minutes since I started this reply, they are both stuck and this is what I see on both:

Your K-Meleon download will start in 5 seconds...

Problems with the download? Please use this direct link, or try another mirror.

..... siria, I click on the "mirror" link but I have also clicked on the direct link to try it out, that was over the weekend but it just takes me back to the same area.
Something is different somewhere. In the "Privacy" tab I have only "Popups" blocked. However, I just thought of something, I have the "User Agent" set for "Firefox 3.5" ... it probably doesn't matter but I am going to change it back to K-Meleon (Default). I say that since the same thing happened when I tried IE 6 as ndebord suggested. The pages are still stuck but I am going to try the link that ndebord posted in his first message. I get the same message telling me my download will start in 5 seconds and it does nothing.

I will still change the User Agent back to Default and check the things that siria mentioned ... I don't have much knowledge about JavaScript so I really don't fool around with extra settings, I only use the "Privacy" tab to turn things on and off.

thanks, will post shortly about any changes.

Date: August 02, 2011 03:26PM

Well the mystery is solved, sort off. I don't think the User Agent setting had anything to do with anything but I was finally able to get the KM 1.6 B2 download to actually download. I also use a program called Proxomitron on my computers, with Win 98SE and the new XP setup. I have used the program for years and have always been able to download anything ... however, I just noticed a little red box at the lower left side of the web page that appears when I am stuck at the page where it says about your download starting in 5 seconds. It says "Timer" ... I decided to click on it and in 2 seconds the KM 1.7 B2 zip download box appeared. I have never had to click on that box before and I'm not even sure how often it appears on a download page, maybe just on this download page ... I will be looking for that little box from now on. In this case, it was a Proxomitron related setting that stops the download. It's probably doing it's job to "protect" my computer but as I said earlier, I have never had any problems with other downloads. So I learned something new today about this program ... it needs my OK to finish the download from this web site I guess. So anyone else also using Proxomitron ... may be interested in this. Thanks all ... I really never ran into this before.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 03:34PM by duffy98.

Re: Can't Download KM 1.6 Beta 2 -> Proxomitron Timer
Date: August 02, 2011 07:34PM

Crazy... But glad you figured it out and posted this info smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.