General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
question about k-meleon 1.6
Posted by: dennis
Date: June 25, 2011 08:12PM

ok now i have a acer computer, ram : 512 mb. k-meleon 1.5.4 does use the memory lowest . so i think is 1.6 beta use more och lower ? . which is best for my computer that use lowest memory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question about k-meleon 1.6
Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 26, 2011 02:55AM

dennis
ok now i have a acer computer, ram : 512 mb. k-meleon 1.5.4 does use the memory lowest . so i think is 1.6 beta use more och lower ? . which is best for my computer that use lowest memory

Dennis,

I run Km 1.6.0 beta 2 on an old Pentium M laptop, 768 Megs Ram, XP PRO SP3. Works just fine there. What are you running?

N

Date: June 26, 2011 08:01PM

i run 1.5.4, so my question is :: does 1.6 beta 2 use lower memory than k-meleon 1.5.4 . sorry for my english sad smiley

Posted by: siria
Date: June 26, 2011 08:25PM

Your english is okay, James meant which windows version you're running.

On my own old win98 system with 256 RAM KM1.5.4 certainly runs 'lighter', just my impression.
But the problem is, KM1.5 contains a rather outdated gecko engine, which has more and more problems to display modern websites correctly. Not many, but especially very complex sites like facebook etc.

There are some workarounds, it can partially be fixed by users themselves, with certain CSS codes, but only on specific sites:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,115782

Hmm, wondering, perhaps there could be released a version 1.5.5 which contains those fixes already? :cool: Seeing that the big majority of users isn't willing to use beta versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 08:27PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 26, 2011 10:45PM

dennis
my question is :: does 1.6 beta 2 use lower memory than k-meleon 1.5.4 . sorry for my english sad smiley

The more modern GRE of K-Meleon 1.6 uses slightly more resources for JUST IN TIME compilation of JavaScript. This is used to make the browser work faster with JavaScript. AFAIK You can switch off via Browser Configuration javascript.options.jit.content but the feature only uses a few extra % of Your RAM.

K-Meleons can run on machines that have 30 or 60 MB RAM. I sometimes use 1.6beta2 on a machine that has 192 MB RAM. 1.6 is the fastest browser on that old, small machine.

Most PPL here are not English. They understand Your English well. It is English learned in school like theirs. grinning smiley
Greetings from Germany

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 27, 2011 12:25PM

siria
Your english is okay, James meant which windows version you're running.

On my own old win98 system with 256 RAM KM1.5.4 certainly runs 'lighter', just my impression.
But the problem is, KM1.5 contains a rather outdated gecko engine, which has more and more problems to display modern websites correctly. Not many, but especially very complex sites like facebook etc.

There are some workarounds, it can partially be fixed by users themselves, with certain CSS codes, but only on specific sites:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,115782

Hmm, wondering, perhaps there could be released a version 1.5.5 which contains those fixes already? :cool: Seeing that the big majority of users isn't willing to use beta versions.

Siria,

Yup, most don't know just how decent KM betas are. <sigh>

N

Date: June 28, 2011 01:58PM

ok i use windows xp . wich is best for my computer 1.6 or 1.5.4 ??

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 28, 2011 02:12PM

dennis, is not a matter of what operative system do you have, but what do you browse and how do you browse.

In terms of system specs, would be more important the CPU and RAM, but K-meleon is quite light.

You wouldn't have problems with any of them, but 1.5.4 is stable and 1.6b2 is a beta.

The main difference, forgetting the above, is the way they render pages. 1.6b2 is faster for high CPU load (javascript/AJAX) pages and for those that are early adopters of CSS3 and HTML5 (what 1.5.4 can't handle by default).

For the rest of the net, 1.5.4 is enough.

Date: June 28, 2011 02:25PM

ok smiling smiley but now i installed 1.6 beta 2 and its nice but i have a lot of favorite sites in a new txt file , so how can i open a new map in k-meleon 1.6 beta 2 so i can put my favorite sites in there ? totally i have 24 favorite sites but how can i put them into the browser ?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 28, 2011 03:43PM

KM can do IE Favorites or Bookmarks. If you are coming from IE and you have been using Favorites then all you have to do is EDIT - PREFERENCES - KM PLUGINS, and enable IE Favorites. A restart of the browser is required.

I am not an expert on bookmarks, but I think they can be imported into KM.

As for using your text file, you could just open both the browser and the text file and copy each item from the text file to the URL bar. Press Enter to go to the site and then save as a bookmark or Favorite.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 01, 2011 09:57AM

dennis,
open your txt-file in any text editor able to recognize links and make them active (eg. MS Word) and save as html-file named bookmarks.html

Then you must place it in k-meleon Profile folder (you can find it in KM-folder or in USERS\<username>\Application Data\K-meleon). Another simple way to do this folder is to go Bookmarks -> Options and you'll see options window for Netscape Bookmarks module - and there will be shown Netscape Bookmark file path
Press Browse button, next to the address line and select location of your bookmarks.html.
Restart K-Meleon - and you'll have your favorites in Bookmarks menu!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.