General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Problem opening .pdf files
Posted by: Otto
Date: October 20, 2014 02:55PM

I really like this new version 74, but have never been able to open a url which has .pdf at the end. The same url will open when I cut & paste it to Firefox (Any session of which, btw, sits & bloats in memory with perhaps 4 tabs open -- I so want to convert to K-meleon!). The observation is always that K-m74 generates a blank page of some solid color (usually black) and then stops. I've tried waiting to see if it's just slowly progressing, but have never seen progress with even small PDFs.

My Pentium M, 1.25GB ram antique is running WinXP SP2.

I've searched your site but have found no mention of this problem. Do I have some setting wrong, need some different pdf-handling module, or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem opening .pdf files
Posted by: siria
Date: October 20, 2014 03:42PM

It should work.
Click F2 > FileHandling > Tab By Type
If you change the default action for pdf to system default program it should work (I hope).

Another tip, at the job I have to use IE and it drove me crazy that I couldn't find any setting how to handle pdf links there. And I hate when it opens directly in the browser with crippled menu lines and smaller window compared to the normal pdf program.
Then learned that Adobe Reader does have it in its own settings! A checkmark field to open pdf links either indirectly in the browser or directly in Adobe Reader. Switching this directly in the Adobe settings finally helped to stop IE from opening pdf's in an own browser window smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 03:43PM by siria.

Posted by: Otto
Date: October 21, 2014 04:26AM

@ Siria

Your first suggestion worked like a charm! K-m74 had chosen the Acrobat plug-in as its default. Per your instructions, I chose Acrobat Reader 9.5 as the default program, instead. Now both large & small pdf files open 'K-meleon-fast' -- using FF had been like molasses! Just one more bit of gushing about K-m74 -- it's remembering passwords for sites always seems to work -- as I'd never experienced. Looks like this present FF session of mine could be the last.

Thanks, again. I've paid for much slower and much less useful help. Keep up the great work!

Date: October 21, 2014 06:11PM

Thanks for reporting back Otto smiling smiley
(but frankly there are still enough bugs left, especially with plugins etc., better not expect KM to be perfect already ;-)

Posted by: MarkFalk
Date: November 10, 2014 11:54PM

I have the same problem, but in file handling by type there is no entry for .PDF. There are FDF, XDP and XFDF but no PDF. I also do not see a way of adding a new entry. So I msut ask for help.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 11, 2014 06:28AM

MarkFalk
I have the same problem, but in file handling by type there is no entry for .PDF. There are FDF, XDP and XFDF but no PDF. I also do not see a way of adding a new entry. So I msut ask for help.

Willkommen.

There is not way to add a new entry. The menu is just a choice menu and no mimeTypes editor that can edit the file that governs MIMEtype selection. That editor was last added in K-Meleon 1.5.4. Sorry.

But F2 -> Dateibehandlung -> Nach Typ -> 2. von Oben. PDF Dokument. Öffnen mit...

contains pdf. Are You sure that You have a have a PDF Reader installed?

There are several available.

I for example have E:\Programme\Nitro\Reader 3\npnitromozilla.dll

That is a Mozilla browser plugin that ships with Nitro PDF reader.

Else place the plugin into ./K-Meleon/browser/plugins/ that forces K-Meleon to use this plugin. The plugins always start with "np".

But not all readers have a plugin.

In that case set Nach Typ -> to Windows default application.

In some cases a wrong setting in the selection menu or in the windows registry can prevent that the chosen program starts its service. In that case a new install of the reader or another normally fixes the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 06:46AM by guenter.

Posted by: MarkFalk
Date: November 11, 2014 12:37PM

guenter
There is not way to add a new entry. The menu is just a choice menu and no mimeTypes editor that can edit the file that governs MIMEtype selection. That editor was last added in K-Meleon 1.5.4. Sorry.

When updating Version 1.54 was deleted. :-(

But F2 -> Dateibehandlung -> Nach Typ -> 2. von Oben. PDF Dokument. Öffnen mit...
contains pdf.

??? When clicking on "Nach Typ" there is at first left a Box for "Suche:" and right in grey "Löschen".
Below a large box with scrollbar right where the filetypes are listed.
The second entry from top is "3G2" (two times) or "3GP" (two times), depending on the listing order.
There is no PDF listet, no PDF-entry.

Are You sure that You have a have a PDF Reader installed?

I have several .PDF-viewer installed, default is Acrobat Reader.

Else place the plugin into ./K-Meleon/browser/plugins/ that forces K-Meleon to use this plugin. The plugins always start with "np".

I have also installed Nitro. There was the file npnitromozilla.dll. I have copied it into the plugins-directory of K-Melon and started K-Meleon again. But it still does not disply pdf-files.

In some cases a wrong setting in the selection menu or in the windows registry can prevent that the chosen program starts its service. In that case a new install of the reader or another normally fixes the problem.

This is not the problem here. When clicking in the explorer to a pdf-document. the Acrobat Reader starts. And the other browsers - Chrome, IE - also can display .pdf-files.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:13PM

siria
Adobe Reader does have it in its own settings! A checkmark field to open pdf links either indirectly in the browser or directly in Adobe Reader. Switching this directly in the Adobe settings finally helped to stop IE from opening pdf's in an own browser window smiling smiley

No idea if it helps on your machine too, but have you tried already?

Date: November 11, 2014 06:27PM

MarkFalk
guenter

When updating Version 1.54 was deleted. :-(

contains pdf.

??? When clicking on "Nach Typ" there is at first left a Box for "Suche:" and right in grey "Löschen".
Below a large box with scrollbar right where the filetypes are listed.
The second entry from top is "3G2" (two times) or "3GP" (two times), depending on the listing order.
There is no PDF listet, no PDF-entry.

Are You sure that You have a have a PDF Reader installed?

I have several .PDF-viewer installed, default is Acrobat Reader.

I have also installed Nitro. There was the file npnitromozilla.dll. I have copied it into the plugins-directory of K-Melon and started K-Meleon again. But it still does not disply pdf-files.

This is not the problem here. When clicking in the explorer to a pdf-document. the Acrobat Reader starts. And the other browsers - Chrome, IE - also can display .pdf-files.

1.) Choose userdefined install and edit the name during install so that each K-Meleon gets an unique new name. Else a default name / name of the previous install is used and a usable K-meleon is damaged.

BTW. 74 can import passwords and most profile data from 1.5.4. It will probably automatically do it when he uses its profile.

2.) The plugins directory is now in ./K-Meleon/browser/plugins

3.) I have attached mimeTypes.zip. Extract it. It contains a well filled mimeTypes.rdf. That is set to command K-Meleon to use the system default application. Place it into the used profile. It should work.

It also contains a folder called {fb4eaeed-d1c9-45d1-a2bb-f2876142daf0}
copy it to ./K-Meleon/browser/extensions/{fb4eaeed-d1c9-45d1-a2bb-f2876142daf0}

Go to about:config right click and create the bolean value "kmeleon.install_firefox_extension" and set it to true.

K-Meleon can AFAIR now use Firefox style XUL add-ons.
Dorian added this feature to 74.

Go to about:addons and look whether You have a real mimetypes editor.
If not restart the browser - or You have done something wrong.

p.s. Oder ich hab was falsch erklärt oder hochgeladen.

siria. Das Plugin dort plazieren erzwingt, dass K-Meleon dies und kein anderes nutzt. Und es auf jeden Fall erkennt! Ich habe auch schon mit PDF Probleme gehabt. Habe aber vergessen, was ich im einzellnen probiert habe.

Wenn der PC es in einem anderen "Mozilla" nutzt (alle außer IE), muss ein Plugin für K-Meleon gehen. Ich erinnere nicht, ob der gegenwärtige Installer es noch anbietet. Aber man muss als Mozilla Produkt registrieren auswählen um systemweit Plugins via Rgistry zu finden/aktiviert zu bekommen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 06:55PM by guenter.

Attachments: mimeTypes.zip (149.8 KB)  
Posted by: gordon451
Date: November 12, 2014 02:02AM

guenter
Go to about:addons and look whether You have a real mimetypes editor.

I restarted it anyway, on general principles. But that's a nice job there guenter :cool:.

Gordon.

Date: November 12, 2014 06:28AM

I finally found where I have to place the included mimetypes.html (table/list of some common MimeTypes) to make it usable. Unpack the attachment into {fb4eaeed-d1c9-45d1-a2bb-f2876142daf0}\chrome\ and overwrite the jar there with the altered rvjmimeedit.jar.

Then You have a MIMETypes list if You call the URL:

chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/mimeType.html

Maybe bookmark the URL for use.

Maybe this altered kmm also works to call the list. I have not tried but it should. I am lazzy and use hotlist to store the Chrome URLs of my extensions.

# name rvjmimeedit.kmm

# Beginn original code

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- rvjmimeedit Extension (MIME Type Editor) -------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dependencies : main.kmm (OpenURL)
# Resources : -
# Preferences : -
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtypes{
macroinfo=_("Change file type settings");
$OpenURL="chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/mimeType.html"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

# ----- PRIVATE

_mtypes_BuildMenu{
# edit menu
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,"MIME T&ypes",mtypes);
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_mtypes_BuildMenu;";

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."rvjmimeedit;";

Attachments: rvjmimeedit.7z (23.6 KB)  
Date: November 12, 2014 09:40AM

Just had a quick look, no test.
Compare the kmm with the native mtypes.kmm
The new one uses the same macro command name "mtypes", that can sometimes give conflicts if the old one isn't deactivated in F2/plugins/macros
The traditional parent menu is "Preferences", which is a submenu of "Edit".
The one in this latest rvj places it in the kmabout menu, which is a submenu in "Help"

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 12, 2014 10:04AM

Hi,

I have tried to install like you explained in your last two posts.

I have executed all the points you have given in the first post.
It's ok but if in about:addons I see MimeEdit 0.6.1, it's noted as disabled

After, I add the macro, and there is an error.
All the macros have the same name as the one which are called from 'Edit > Edit Mime Types' or F2. which call kmprefs
No menu too in KMAbout

Renaming all the mtypes to mimeTypes done the trick, and the menu is displayed.
But ... it doesn't work. When launching:
Fichier introuvable
Impossible de trouver le fichier chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/mimeType.html.
Vérifiez son emplacement et essayez à nouveau.

And in console2, I have these messages:
Could not read chrome manifest
'file:///E:/Program%20Files/K-Meleon74(clean)/browser/chrome.manifest'.
 ----------
While creating services from category 'profile-after-change', could not create service for
entry 'Disk Space Watcher Service', contract ID '@mozilla.org/toolkit/disk-space-watcher;1'

It seems that some chrome.manifest is missing in browser folder, and it's perhaps the reason of the disabled addon in about:addons

For the second error, I don't know what is the problem, and I think it's not necessary related to rvjmimeedit.

These two messages seems to be js related, as they disappeared when unchecking JS in console2.

[edit]

Closing and Launching K-Meleon have done the trick, but looking for the messages, I don't see it which was obvious. Now in about-addons: I see that MimeEdit is enabled, and I can edit mimetypes clicking on Options button.

I just replace your mimetypes.rdf with the one I use for linux.smiling smiley, and it works fine.

Just the problem of your function 'About mimetypes' instead of 'Edit mimetypes' which doesn't work.

Perhaps just under Linux ?

Thanks
A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: November 12, 2014 10:35AM

Hi, siria, I was editing my answer when you post yours

You're right about the macro names, I just forgot to uncheck mtypes

You're also right about the location of the menu, it ought to be in Edit > preferences

So I modified rvjmimeedit.kmm to refers to these remarks.

I kept also the KMAbout location to have a new menu item called 'About addons' as in fact the command is this.

I"'m waiting to guenter answer to see what does its command :
as it doesn't work for me.
I thought it displays the content of mimetypes insead of allowing to modify it.

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- rvjmimeedit Extension (MIME Type Editor) ---------------------------------------------------
#
#
# Warning : to use it, don't forget to uncheck mtypes.kmm in preferences

mtypes{
$OpenURL="about:addons"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;

# In case you have a modified version of main.kmm which allows to open About items in new tab instead
# of new window. Just comment the two previous line, and uncomment the four next lines

#macroinfo=_("Edit mimetypes");
#$OpenURL="about:addons";
#getpref(BOOL,"extensions.rvjmimeedit.openinwindow")==true ? $ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNewWindow":$ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNew";
#&ExecMacros_Frames;
}

# ----- PRIVATE

_mimetypes_BuildMenu{
# edit menu
setmenu(Preferences,macro,_("MIME T&ypes"),mtypes);
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,_("About addons"),mtypes);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."_mimetypes_BuildMenu;";

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 10:40AM by JujuLand.

Date: November 12, 2014 01:03PM

The test is ok after installing as said.

I also made a test with a new profile. To have the good prefs set, not to have to do again some pref init, I have added a rvjmimeedit.js in browser/defaults/preferences

pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.modules.mtypes.load", false);
pref("kmeleon.install_firefox_extension", true);
pref("extensions.pendingOperations", false);
pref("extensions.shownSelectionUI", true);
pref("extensions.ui.dictionary.hidden", true);
pref("extensions.ui.lastCategory", "addons://list/extension");
pref("extensions.ui.locale.hidden", true);

But during my test, I found a K-Meleon bug concerning adding profiles.

The first profile created when launching first was named : s04fykym.default
When I added a new profile (using s04fykym.default) named test, for example, K-Meleon has named it s04fykym.test.

So, when trying to delete it, it was impossible to do it, K-Meleon complains that profile can't be deleted, because it's in use ...
Can you confirm such problem ?

Last thing, opening mimetype.html, I saw it's just an help to use mimetypedit.
Is-it exact ?
In this case, it ought to be renamed About mimetypes. No ?

A+

Date: November 12, 2014 02:06PM

Here is a new rvjmimeedit.kmm version:

# ---------- rvjmimeedit Extension (MIME Type Editor) ---------------------------------------------------
#
#
# Warning : to use it, don't forget to uncheck mtypes.kmm in preferences

mtypes{
$OpenURL="about:addons"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;

# In case you have a modified version of main.kmm which allows to open About items in new tab instead
# of new window. Just comment the two previous line, and uncomment the four next lines

#macroinfo=_("Edit mimetypes");
#$OpenURL="about:addons";
#getpref(BOOL,"extensions.rvjmimeedit.openinwindow")==true ? $ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNewWindow":$ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNew";
#&ExecMacros_Frames;
}

mimetypes{
macroinfo=_("MimeTypes information");
$OpenURL="file:///".getfolder(RootFolder)."/browser/extensions/{fb4eaeed-d1c9-45d1-a2bb-f2876142daf0}/mimetype.html";
&OpenURL_InNewWindow;

#macroinfo=_("MimeTypes information");
#$OpenURL="file:///".getfolder(RootFolder)."/browser/extensions/{fb4eaeed-d1c9-45d1-a2bb-f2876142daf0}/mimetype.html";
#&ExecMacros_Frames;
}

# ----- PRIVATE

_mimetypes_BuildMenu{
# edit menu
setmenu(Preferences,macro,_("MIME T&ypes"),mtypes);
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,_("About addons"),mimetypes);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."_mimetypes_BuildMenu;";

This version just add a function to open mimetype.html from KMAbout menus

A+

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 02:09PM by JujuLand.

Date: November 12, 2014 04:31PM

rvjmimeedit works also with K-Meleon 74-31.

This version doesn't named anymore the created profile with the same name as the one actually used, but same error when trying to remove a profile (the one which not actually opened, obviously).

Can you confirm this bug under Windows ?

Other thing, with this version, I see again a bug I encounter with last Firefox or Thunderbird version (since a few number of versions) :

Firefox/Thunderbird/K-Meleon don't respect, when having a material config with two screens, the location of the window, and often, when opening a box, a new window, ... move the window to the screen 0.
It's not serious, but ennoying. But as I said it's probably a gecko problem ...

Thanks
A+

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 04:38PM by JujuLand.

Date: November 12, 2014 07:01PM

What does that rvj-thing mean? Does it have any deeper meaning?

Because otherwise it would be a lot easier to understand and handle when just renaming the whole macro and the commands in them to mtypes2.kmm / macro mtypes2 / menu mtypes2 etc.

Date: November 12, 2014 08:20PM

Yes rename the conflicting macro name. Just extend/uncrement it to two. Externally and internally.

I did not advocate to use it and the original named kmm side by side.

That is Your idea.

In fact I use no kmm for it but bookmark the URLs. For all my extensions,

Prefs.xul works via about:addons - no macro needed.

@alain. Yes it is a local help file to find what Mimwtype can be tried.
If it works for You with your suggested code - do it.
You can publish an update - I do not care.

siria
Just had a quick look, no test.
Compare the kmm with the native mtypes.kmm
The new one uses the same macro command name "mtypes", that can sometimes give conflicts if the old one isn't deactivated in F2/plugins/macros
The traditional parent menu is "Preferences", which is a submenu of "Edit".
The one in this latest rvj places it in the kmabout menu, which is a submenu in "Help"

Yes both by me. Why should I change this trivial item?

Mtypes does not work for 74 anymore. So... I reuse the code.

And why should I make two XUL extensions that work?
Or a new kmm if one add-on does not work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 08:34PM by guenter.

Date: November 12, 2014 09:13PM

Guenter and Siria,

Do you have the same bug I was talking about creating and deleting a profile ?

I join a complete rvjmimeedit install file.
Just extract in km root folder
And copy the file mimetype.rdf from browser/profile into each profile folder.
For Linux users read the readme file in browser/profile proceed as explained, and then in existing profile folders like for windows users.

A+

Attachments: rvjMimeEdit0.6.1.7z (38.9 KB)  
Date: November 12, 2014 10:36PM

Sorry have not tested yet, am still on my old online machine here and it's bothersome dragging out that crappy offline one. Guess it makes more sense anyway if such comprehensive stuff is tested by people actually using KM74 fully and online.

But couldn't help modifying the kmm into a (IMHO) cleaner version, that doesn't require users to manually edit two macros.

(if anyone doesn't know how, copy blue text below into a new empty notepad file and save as rvjmimeedit.kmm in macros folder):

#UTF-8 K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- rvjmimeedit Extension (MIME Type Editor)
#
# Version: 0.6.2
# Forum: kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,130230
# Menu: Edit > Mime Types... + Help > About Addons
# Resources : 11 more files in browser/defaults/... + browser/extensions/...
# Preferences : extensions.rvjmimeedit.openinwindow
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

rvjmimeedit_aboutAddons{
macroinfo=_("Change file type settings (mimetypes) via about:addons");
$OpenURL="about:addons";
getpref(BOOL,"extensions.rvjmimeedit.openinwindow") ? &OpenURL_InNewWindow : &OpenURL_InNew;
}

rvjmimeedit_typesInfo{
macroinfo=_("MimeTypes general list for information");
$OpenURL="file:///".getfolder(RootFolder)."/browser/extensions/{fb4eaeed-d1c9-45d1-a2bb-f2876142daf0}/mimetype.html";
&OpenURL_InNew;
}

_rvjmimeedit_BuildMenu{
# in menu HELP + 2x EDIT
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,"About Addons","rvjmimeedit_aboutAddons",-1);
setmenu(Preferences,macro,"MIME Types Edit (RVJ)","rvjmimeedit_aboutAddons",mtypes);
setmenu(Preferences,macro,"MIME Types Info List","rvjmimeedit_typesInfo",mtypes);
}

#------------------
$OnInit=$OnInit."_rvjmimeedit_BuildMenu;";

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 10:39PM by siria.

Date: November 13, 2014 02:54AM

siria
What does that rvj-thing mean? Does it have any deeper meaning?

Because otherwise it would be a lot easier to understand and handle when just renaming the whole macro and the commands in them to mtypes2.kmm / macro mtypes2 / menu mtypes2 etc.

IMHO that string-thing stands for RevisionJanc.

RV probably revision. MonkeeSage did never update his revision past 0.2.

It was taken up by Bob Janc.

Confer rvjmimeedit.txt line 9. The version info which is inside.

Do whatever You like with the macro. But IMHO You do overly elaborated code.

I just use two bookmarks.

chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/pref/pref.xul

chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/mimeType.html

They IMHO work both for ./browser/extensions and ./used profile/extensions

p.s. I just re-adapted the kmm I had adapted for Mtypes 0.3+ for Freds edition of 0.9. Why should I make a really new macro. I never do. I am much too lazy. grinning smiley

Since we can use the addon manager now I dispenced with this one.

# ---------- rvjmimeedit Extension (MIME Type Editor) -------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#

mtypes{
$OpenURL="chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/pref/pref.xul"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

# ----- PRIVATE

_mtypes_BuildMenu{
# edit menu
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,"MIME T&ypes",mtypes);
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_mtypes_BuildMenu;";

I even stopped adapting macros since I found how I can use bookmarks.tongue sticking out smiley

Maybe we should bump the version nr. for the mimeType.html and Your macros?

We got to find a way to put our macros inside the extensions' own folders.

That way the addon manager can also remove the kmm and we need no extra extensions manager.

Bob Janc did not know that there was a fork of MonkeeSage's code adapted to support km better and later a version based on code from the last Version of Mozilla (1.7.12) just for km. Nor that his revision would be found by disrupted and that we would adapt and update his code after he stopped supporting it.

CHANGE LOG
CHANGE LOG
Version 0.6.1 K - 13 October 2014, Preview existing MIMETypes fixed.
Removed looked state that was only used when the code that drives the addon was used to work with browser prefs.
Version 0.6 K74 - 12 October 2014, uses ID by Bob Janc because K-Meleon can use that now.
Updated CSS and code to play with 74/esr24. 12th.10.2014, guenter. To do. Preview existing MIMEtypes.
Merged with code and strings from K-Meleon's mtypes 0.5.1 extension by alain, kko and guenter and restricted the code to use features known and used by K-Meleon 1.6. Hannover, 08th.01.2009, guenter.

Change log of the original Firefox 3 Extension by Bob Janc.
Version 0.60 - April 15, 2007
1 - Made compatible with Thunderbird 2.0
2 - Modified "About Window" for Thunderbird compatibility

===================================
Version 0.52 - March 29, 2007
1 - Activated the Add-ons window Preferences button for MIME Edit
2 - Added tabbing to the MIME Edit Preferences panel
3 - Added a General Tab with the option to hide/unhide the Tools MIME Edit menu item
4 - Moved the MIME Edit functions to the Edit Tab
5 - Improved the "About Window"
6 - Performed additional code cleanup

Version 0.51 - February 12, 2007
1 - The original extension called MIME Type Editor was developed by Jordan Callicoat modifying code from Netscape. I used version 0.2 released 3/20/2004 and posted on http://extensionroom.mozdev.org
2 - It worked on FF 1.5.x but wasn't updated for FF 2.0.x
3 - Since it wasn't touched since 3/20/04 and not posted on https://addons.mozilla.org/ I decided to update and maintain it. I started with his original extension, updated to use new extension packaging for FF2 (install.rdf and chrome.manifest), deleted a number of files that weren't needed, cleaned up some of the javascript and xul code and added an icon.
4 - I also changed the globally unique identifier (GUID) for the extension in case Jordan revives his to avoid a conflict in FF when installing and I changed the Internal Name for the same reason.
5 - I also changed the name from MIME Type Editor to MIME Edit to avoid confusion.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS for Firefox
1 - Jordan Callicoat who modified code from Netscape to create MIME Type Edit. I used his version 0.2 released 3/20/2004 as a starting point.
2 - Alice White who contributed to the Firefox and Thunderbird extension.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS for K-Meleon
0 - All started with: Ben Goodger <ben@netscape.com> the original implementor of the Mozilla Code.
3 - "K-Meleon 1.0 Mimetype Editor 0.5.1": Based on Mozilla 1.7.12 code, inspired by Jordan Callicoat's MIME Type Edit version 0.2 released 3/20/2004, improved by alain and kko, contributors of the K-Meleon project under the GNU public license; original K-Meleon adaptor of the Mozilla code, guenter.
4 - Thx go to disrupted who found and tested the Firefox Extension for K-Meleon, 8th February 2009.

LICENSE:

This program is released under the Simian Public License,
which I just made up. The provisions of use provided under
this license are as follow:

1.) You will not pretend that you made it.
2.) You will not redistribute it for any amount of money.
3.) You will not hold the author responsible for any
mental, physical or emotional damage this program
may cause (either directly or indirectly).

This program is presented "AS IS" and by using it you have
agreed to the terms and conditions stated in the provisions
of use.

Addendum: Portions of this program are property of Netscape /
Mozilla and are covered under their own license(s).

- Jordan Callicoat (MonkeeSage)

snip...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 03:18AM by guenter.

Date: November 13, 2014 08:15AM

Siria
But couldn't help modifying the kmm into a (IMHO) cleaner version, that doesn't require users to manually edit two macros.

The version I put here needs just to extract a 7z file in the root folder, no more need to modify something.else.

A+

Date: November 13, 2014 08:24AM

JujuLand
Siria

The version I put here needs just to extract a 7z file in the root folder, no more need to modify something.else.

A+

There are AFAIK two possible macro locations currently.

./root/macros

./used profile/macros

The addon manager can touch neither to remove the macro.
And XPI install routine does not unpack to these place.

Dorian posted an intersting sample code that had the kmm and a js inside that created menu entries but I could not figure out how that worked.

I will not update untill that is known.

p.s. Feel free to bump version nr. and add Your and siria's names to rvjmimeedit.txt if You want to update and issue it before. BTW. I forgot to write that I added a German locale in 2009 or so. So the text is not complete anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 08:42AM by guenter.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: November 13, 2014 12:23PM

siria
Guess it makes more sense anyway if such comprehensive stuff is tested by people actually using KM74 fully and online.

Been testing it a day or so... Works OK putting .xls into the Excel Viewer. It appears there's no in-browser viewer like for .pdf, but maybe that's because I don't have MS Office on this box.

The actual adding of MIME types is a bit kludgy, but they show up in F2 and that's all that matters. I can live with it. Fire and forget!

Gordon.

Date: November 14, 2014 08:50AM

siria

Could not help cleaning it up, so that is works for me and I like it. :O
Thanks guys - I would have left it at my 2 cludgy links in hotlist.

Added to CHANGE LOG
Version 0.6.1 K - 14 November 2014, Created new macro with the help of alain and siria, guenter.

siria
(if anyone doesn't know how, copy blue text below into a new empty notepad file and save as rvjmimeedit.kmm in macros folder):

# Beginn code rvjmimeedit.kmm
#UTF-8 K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
#
# Version: 0.6.1 K Authors: alain, siria, guenter.
# http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,130230,130881#msg-130881

rvjmimeedit_change{
$OpenURL="chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/pref/pref.xul"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

rvjmimeedit_typesInfo{
macroinfo=_("MimeTypes list for information");
}

_rvjmimeedit_BuildMenu{
setmenu(Preferences,macro,"MIME Types Edit","rvjmimeedit_change",rvjmimeedit_change);
setmenu(Preferences,macro,"MIME Types Info List","rvjmimeedit_typesInfo",rvjmimeedit_typesInfo);
}

#------------------
# End code rvjmimeedit.kmm

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 12:15PM by guenter.

Re: Problem opening .pdf files / MimeTypes extension
Date: November 14, 2014 10:26AM

About this complicated addon-extension path stuff I have no experience myself.
Had just kept the original paths in your and jujulands macro.
But great if those shorter and direct links work too smiling smiley
Just one little syntax error:

$OpenURL="chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/mimeType.html"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;&OpenURL_InNew;

And the header now sounds like it wouldn't need anything else to function. A hint about the rest of the addon should be mentioned. Preferably a bit more precise like my cludgy note about 11 more files grinning smiley Perhaps a link to a new complete zip, and installation howto?

Ah yes, and the ",mtypes" at the end of the two setmenu lines were intentional.
This determines the position in the menu, if the native mtypes.kmm is active too, the new lines will appear directly above it. Otherwise at the bottom of the prefs-menu, like now. Or does it give some error now in km74 if the position macroname doesn't exist, perhaps test it?

-----------------------------------------------

Correction: the menu position doesn't use the macro names, but the macro titles, oops!
Had not noticed and kept the original lines.
But instead of ",mtypes" it should be "MIME T&ypes..."

Oh well, so here's yet another updated version.
(Must admit haven't tested the full extension yet and nothing on KM74.
So far only a quick check by the errorconsole in KM1.6)

file rvjmimeedit.kmm

#
#
# Version: 0.6.2f / 2014-11-14
# Forum: kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,130230
# Menu: Edit > Mime Types... + Help > About Addons
# Dependencies : main.kmm
# Resources : xul addon "rvjmimeedit" (11 more files in browser/defaults/... + browser/extensions/...)

rvjmimeedit_change{
macroinfo=_("Change file type settings (mimetypes)");
$OpenURL="chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/pref/pref.xul";
&OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

rvjmimeedit_typesInfo{
macroinfo=_("MimeTypes list for information");
$OpenURL="chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/pref/mimeType.html";
&OpenURL_InNew;
}

rvjmimeedit_aboutAddons{
macroinfo=_("Customize addons (e.g. rvjmimeedit = file type settings)");
$OpenURL="about:addons";
&OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

_rvjmimeedit_BuildMenu{
# in menu HELP + 2x EDIT
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,"About Addons","rvjmimeedit_aboutAddons",-1);
setmenu("Preferences",macro,"MIME Types Info List","rvjmimeedit_typesInfo","MIME T&ypes...");
setmenu("Preferences",macro,"MIME Types Edit (RVJ)","rvjmimeedit_change","MIME T&ypes...");
}

#------------------

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 10:42PM by siria.

Date: November 14, 2014 12:36PM

Thank You siria. I assume that people read the thread where the addon is posted. smiling smiley

They need to be two new windows so that You can look inside the info while You edit.
But I changed it so that it does not open the info twice.

AFTER HALF AN HOUR I GAVE UP TO UPLOAD AGAIN.

THIS FORUM MUST BE FIXED FIRST.

P.s. mtypes 2x did not create two entries. And Your long path works but with a handsome delay and it makes that the XUL window does not know how to size.

Date: November 14, 2014 01:16PM

Hi,

chrome://

doesn't work under Linux. That's why I modified it to

getfolder(rootfolder).....

A+

Date: November 14, 2014 01:44PM

JujuLand
Hi,

chrome://

doesn't work under Linux. That's why I modified it to

getfolder(rootfolder).....

A+

Then we must have two macros.

Because the other (siria's version) makes delays and problems under Windows.

Anyways. I will not try to upload to forum again. You two can do what You please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 03:05PM by guenter.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.