General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
What Browser Would You Use Other Than K-Meleon
Posted by: duffy98
Date: March 24, 2011 02:13PM

OK ... if you decided that KM wasn't the browser that you wanted to use anymore or just to have a second browser also on your computer ... what browser would that be? I just wondered what the "2nd" choice of a browser would be ... Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey ... I am using Windows 98SE at the moment and plan to continue with it for some time ... but just over a week ago I put Windows 2K Pro on another hard drive and am in the process of setting it up and getting familiar with it. I have KM v1.5.4 on it and all seems to be OK so far ... haven't been on the internet much with Windows 2K yet so I can't report very much. ... I was thinking of having a second browser like SeaMonkey also set up ... just sort of a poll to see what the 2nd most popular browser would be among KM users. ... thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 02:13PM by duffy98.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Browser Would You Use Other Than K-Meleon
Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 24, 2011 02:22PM

duffy98
OK ... if you decided that KM wasn't the browser that you wanted to use anymore or just to have a second browser also on your computer ... what browser would that be? I just wondered what the "2nd" choice of a browser would be ... Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey ... I am using Windows 98SE at the moment and plan to continue with it for some time ... but just over a week ago I put Windows 2K Pro on another hard drive and am in the process of setting it up and getting familiar with it. I have KM v1.5.4 on it and all seems to be OK so far ... haven't been on the internet much with Windows 2K yet so I can't report very much. ... I was thinking of having a second browser like SeaMonkey also set up ... just sort of a poll to see what the 2nd most popular browser would be among KM users. ... thanks

duffy98,

KM 1.6beta2, if you are using W2k or even 98se, if you use kernelX (sp), according to some here who have gotten it all to work together. My second browser is FF 3.6 and for windows updates, IE8.

Don't much like Opera or Iron*

* Iron is the portable version of Chrome.

N

Date: March 24, 2011 02:55PM

Thank for the reply ... I guess I should have also mentioned that I do have KM v1.6 B2 on my computer with KernelEx. I don't use it much, somethings just didn't seem to work right (problems that others also had) so I thought I'd wait till a newer version or a "final" version comes out ... I probably should use it more, the problems are not major, if I remember. I will check that version of FF and see if it might run on Windows 2K.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 24, 2011 03:33PM

My machine is Win 7 (32 bit). Since I use favorites with my KM 1.6.0 beta2, I would just use IE 8. I have never done bookmarks.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 24, 2011 03:35PM

I understand you a lot duffy, believe me.

I use Opera more over others as second browser, basically with 9.26, which is enough for most pages, but I'm on the road for Opera 11, while alternate both. The damn thing is its own personality :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 03:39PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 24, 2011 04:57PM

JohnHell ... I might give Opera a shot down the road ... had it on a computer many years ago but I haven't kept up the versions ... have to see what options I might still have with Opera and also FF ... with Win98SE and Windows 2K.

JamesD ... From what I'm reading about Windows 2K, IE6 is the last MS browser that will run on Windows 2K and of course Win98SE. I don't think IE7 will run on Win98SE but I never tried it. I'm happy with KM, just looking around for a good 2nd browser to "fall back" on. ... thanks

Posted by: Marc
Date: March 24, 2011 05:34PM

I would never ever use Firefox again, because its a memory hog, it always freezes and its very slow.

Opera is a very good browser and so is IE i think but in the latest versions, Babylon dictionary OCR is not working, its not recognizing the words. And the same problem happens in Chrome too

So i would use Avant Browser i think. Its based on IE engine, its light and very usefull

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 24, 2011 06:35PM

The only BU's I use are Opera 10+ and of course IE 7 for the few sites that require IE, some sites just refuse to grow up.:mad: I wasn't aware that Opera 11 was out, I guess I'll have to upgrade. I never use FF at all because it screws up my system for some reason, I guess it just doesn't like me but that's alright because I don't like it.tongue sticking out smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 24, 2011 06:37PM

caktus
I wasn't aware that Opera 11 was out

Have you just now awoken from winter sleep? grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 06:40PM by panzer.

Date: March 24, 2011 10:58PM

Yes, that comes back to me now about FF being a memory hog ... heard that a few years back but I would have thought newer versions might have fixed all that. All the input is interesting.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 24, 2011 11:55PM

duffy98
Thank for the reply ... I guess I should have also mentioned that I do have KM v1.6 B2 on my computer with KernelEx. I don't use it much, somethings just didn't seem to work right (problems that others also had) so I thought I'd wait till a newer version or a "final" version comes out ... I probably should use it more, the problems are not major, if I remember. I will check that version of FF and see if it might run on Windows 2K.

duffy98,

Over recent time, you have had 3 choices with kM.... the official versions, Fred's minimalist approach that comes at things from a Linux perspective (mainly) and Hao's CCFME, which employs among other things the Lua language macros in addition to the KKO written script language macros that substitute for most of the XUL stuff that Mozilla uses with Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, Kompozer and other offshoots.

I need to find the latest 3.5.18 FF in portable version, perhaps I'll download the 3.5.17 portable and see if it upgrades properly (or demands that I move to 3.6 or 4.0. GRRRRRR)

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 11:56PM by ndebord.

Posted by: margarita
Date: March 25, 2011 05:27AM

Actually, there is no strong reason why you choose between two or more browsers, because modern computers have speed and memory enough to execute them all with no annoyances. IE9 & FF4 are strong and very fast browsers with 95% Acid Test 3 solved, and Opera 11 have reached 100% acid test score with high speed and full performance. Chrome is also a good choice for many users. I use KM only in a very old computer that I have in my father's home, running smoothly in a 486DX4 at 100 Mhz with only 256 Mb RAM and W95SE. Come on, it's a miracle itself. Actually, there are also too many myths about FF and IE speed, reliability and memory consumption with no facts beyond the software war itself. Afterall, I think KM development team should hurry up because FF5 will be among us in June 2011, and FF6 & FF7 before the end of 2011 -- for no software issues at all because I know that KM it's based in the SeaMonkey engine, but only as a market weapon (new versions are always more attractive to general users). Don't worry, Duffy, it's just a choice. o.O

Posted by: km2
Date: March 25, 2011 09:55PM

Yep, choice of interests.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 25, 2011 11:10PM

running smoothly in a 486DX4 at 100 Mhz

WHOW - now that is amazing! And I thought my box were ancient (with 850MHz) grinning smiley What KM version is that? 1.5.4?

Posted by: CJ
Date: March 26, 2011 06:31AM

Right now for me it would be IE9 to be honest. After a week of using it I have to admit I'm impressed.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: March 26, 2011 08:15AM

IE6 last working on W98.
I like FF except it takes forever to start up. Am now using one of Fred's updated (`1.6 with 2012 SM gecko) working better than 1.6b2 on W98.
Fred's 1.7alpha, not working for me. Will try his latest 1.6 this week.
I agree with the post about all browsers about equal and memory use, speed and other rumors are mostly hogwash. Biggest choice is startup time, security level and UI or lack thereof.
No experience with Opera or Chrome on W98.

Posted by: Naturyl
Date: March 26, 2011 12:22PM

Opera and/or Maxthon. Or IE 9.

Date: March 26, 2011 01:35PM

snuz2 ... I take it you are using Win 98SE or FE ... Are you also using KernelEx with Fred's updated 1.6 with 2012 SM gecko version? I never tried that version ... tried something by Fred and it sort of messed my other KM 1.5.4 up, must have been the 1.7 line. I see 2013 has come out ... if you try that, let me know if it works ... I am going to look around for v2012, don't know if it will still be available to try ... but v2013 may be better with improvements.

Posted by: margarita
Date: March 26, 2011 02:59PM

siria

running smoothly in a 486DX4 at 100 Mhz

WHOW - now that is amazing! And I thought my box were ancient (with 850MHz) grinning smiley What KM version is that? 1.5.4?

Dear, the boot is a desperate exercise in patience, but the performance of the 486DX4 is as good as one Pentium. In fact, the DX4 used a 3x33MHz bus, a 5x86-P75 equivalent by AMD/Intel. The OS installed is W98SE (not W95SE). KM version installed is 1.5.2, two years ago. I think it's time to visit my father. o.O

Posted by: snuz2
Date: March 27, 2011 07:37PM

yes, just use 2013. no problems so far. works better than 1.6b2 for me.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 27, 2011 08:20PM

panzer
Have you just now awoken from winter sleep? grinning smiley

Still working on that.grinning smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 08:22PM by caktus.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.