General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Question about persistent local storage
Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 13, 2014 11:55AM

I have disabled dom.storage in K-Meleon. So persistent storage isn't an issue for me. Nonetheless it would be interesting to know if there is a way to view/delete persistent stored objects in K-Meleon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about persistent local storage
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 13, 2014 04:20PM

SQlite manager Extension to open webappsstore.sqlite:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/km74/

Maybe you haven't found a site that requires it, but there are a few, starting with Google in a simple services as its search engine (to display some submenus (I don't know why they do this but it is a shit)).

You'll amaze the stupid things they store there...

Also, you don't need to disable it with the pref setting. Do what I do. Set the file attibutes for web webappsstore.sqlite to read only and the pref enabled. The feature looks like functional but actually doesn't write anything to the file and, therefore, isn't persistent as it should.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 04:21PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 13, 2014 05:53PM

Thanks JohnHell!

I didn't noticed any problems (as yet) with local storage disabled. I will leave dom.storage disabled for now but will take your advice as soon as something won't work in the future.

Since you are mentioning Google, it works fine (at least) for my demands even with local storage disabled.
Google is btw the main search engine I'm using. I have little sympathy for Google (tried to find a decent replacement by testing all others I know) but have to admit that Google's search engine gives me the best results.

And since we are at it, the "Google 100 Results" search string in K-Meleon is obsolete and doesn't give the 100 results as expected.
I have changed it to
https://www.google.com/search?complete=0&num=100&q=
and this works for me.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 13, 2014 06:13PM

Google, but used as kind of proxy for privacy purposes, is StartPage.com from the same people as ixquick.com (but this one uses more search engines together in the results).

But even StartPage.com is the same as Google, sometimes results are filtered (and I don't mean safe search). I don't know exactly why this happens. Maybe the proxy used.

Date: October 13, 2014 07:04PM

JohnHell
But even StartPage.com is the same as Google, sometimes results are filtered (and I don't mean safe search). I don't know exactly why this happens. Maybe the proxy used.

Exactly. Some results get filtered for whatever reason.

The only search engine that gave the same (fine) results as Google, was Scroogle.
It might have been the reason why Google killed it.
However Google had a big advantage over Scroogle because of its cached results.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.